Set up methods & tools.

Anything technical in here

Re: Set up methods & tools.

Postby suebmick » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

We have always used the same.....
tracking guage is a piece of square tube with a sliding upright with a metal "pin" facing the wheel rims, & a sturdy piece of string from front to back
Corner weights are 4 bathroom scales under the wheels
ride height & rest of set up is done with the driver sat n the seat & a "helper" with a ruler from the floor to a static point on the chassis & height adjustments made by the helper
camber is pretty much by eye & a measure. That's what eyes were made for!

It's worked for Dick & Mick for 40-odd years & worked for me for 20-odd years.

KISS is the cost-effective solution

Sue
suebmick

Postby geofff » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 am

I re-read my Simon McBeath "Competition Car Preparation" and that has a nice section on set-up.

Also tried to find Duke DVD on "How to Prepare a single seater" but cannot find a copy on Ebay and youtube only has the first eight minutes.....

Still a little hazy on ride height / corner weight but I think diving in when I do the job is the only way to gain confidence / experience.

100% agree with the KISS principle Sue!

Thanks

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby pbove » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 am

Ride height/corner weight will always be a compromise, key is to get the ride height legal, the rake to where you want it and then set the corner weights, fronts should be more or less equal (within a kg) and rears are not so important.... but get them reasonably close, say within 5-10 kg. Then check your ride height is legal again at the end.

I'm a big fan of Caroll Smith's books, they are both informative and well written. Try Tune to Win and Drive to Win for setup tips.
pbove

Postby F1300Tony » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 am

The Carroll Smith books are well worth reading.
F1300Tony

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Carrol Smith also does a handy little flip pad called "Engineer in your pocket"with all the various handling problems you might encounter and the likely causes. Opened from the other end it lists the likely effects of any adjustments that you might make.

A useful reference to have in your tool kit.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Andrew Gent » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 am

I'm going to try adjusting my front camber soon for these Radial tyres. What camber is supposed to be ideal?
And if I don't have anything to measure camber with, can I just do a couple of 360 turns of the top rose joint and that will get approximately the angle I want? KISS principle...
Andrew Gent

Postby pbove » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 am

The ideal camber depends on chassis roll and other stuff. I use 2.5 deg - so I'd start there and then see what the tyres say. You can buy a cheap magnetic inclinometer and cut a piece of metal to suit (i.e. to reach from the top of the rim or tyre to the bottom). Guessing is a bit risky and don't forget to adjust the tracking after setting the camber as it will have changed (unless you have a camber plate setup a la ADR).

It is, however, worth getting something decent as the camber needs to be a regular post race check.
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am

A more accurate and still fairly simple way to check camber is to take the front wheels off and measure the vertical angle of the brake discs with a Wixi. The Wixi is one of the cheap little magnetic angle gauges that Peter referred to. You can get them on-line. You don't need to be on a level surface because you can zero the Wixi on the chassis. You do need to stand the car on its suspension - wooden blocks under the outer ends of the lower wishbones or some such method. You can also use the Wixi for checking castor, which is also important and interacts with camber. If you have a lot of castor then when you turn the steering the camber is increased as well.

What value of camber is best also depends on the camber change of your suspension when the car rolls into a corner. However since your car is the same as Peter's then following his advice is favourite - if you don't mind being stuck on the same lap times.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Andrew Gent » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks for the advice Peter and Martin.
I think being stuck on the same lap times as Peter would be ok for now. :lol: :lol:
Andrew Gent

Postby pbove » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Where is your ambition???? :o
pbove

Previous

Return to Technical