Cameras for 2021

Anything technical in here

Cameras for 2021

Postby Andrew Gent » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:17 pm

I see Peter B uses an AIM Smartycam, but that is a bit on the expensive side for me.

Does anyone have any cheaper recommendations, that mount easily, record to SD, and are HD?
Andrew Gent

Re: Cameras for 2021

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:45 pm

I use a go pro it has GPS and always gives good footage
dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:46 pm

dopdog

Postby Steve Boother » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:26 pm

I agree that GoPro is a good less expensive option and quality is excellent. There are cheap Amazon bluetooth remotes that you can mount in the car too. I have one hooked up to my GoPro 7. The only issue for me is finding a suitable mounting and point to mount it on the Darvi.

Make sure you use a tether too, will save you a fair bit when a mounting breaks.

Steve
Steve Boother

Postby pbove » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:55 am

Steve Boother wrote:Make sure you use a tether too, will save you a fair bit when a mounting breaks.

And get you through scrutineering........ if we ever go back to having it.........

Race Technology do some interesting software that takes the video from a GoPro and provides some analysis from the GPS data that is embedded. Looks to be an interesting option......
pbove

Postby dopdog » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 am

pbove wrote:
Steve Boother wrote:Make sure you use a tether too, will save you a fair bit when a mounting breaks.

And get you through scrutineering........ if we ever go back to having it.........

Race Technology do some interesting software that takes the video from a GoPro and provides some analysis from the GPS data that is embedded. Looks to be an interesting option......

I won a demo version of this software off their facebook page. I am so inept at using 3rd party software that I could not even work out how to load the video let alone edit it!!!!! :oops:
dopdog

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:50 pm

We use an SJCAM. It looks like a GoPro but is much cheaper and we find it more convenient to use. It can easily be wired into the car's electrical system so it doesn't run out of battery power just as you are overtaking someone really good.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby suebmick » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:33 pm

Steve Boother wrote:I agree that GoPro is a good less expensive option and quality is excellent. There are cheap Amazon bluetooth remotes that you can mount in the car too. I have one hooked up to my GoPro 7. The only issue for me is finding a suitable mounting and point to mount it on the Darvi.

Make sure you use a tether too, will save you a fair bit when a mounting breaks.

Steve

Mick made a bracket that is fixed to the roll hoop. We use GoPro fixings on to that & Belt-and-braces & happy-scrutes, we use an O-ring right over the top. Will take a photo & show you tomorrow
Sue
suebmick

Postby suebmick » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 am

Steve Boother…..

cam.JPG
cam.JPG (219.08 KiB) Viewed 297 times

cam1.JPG
cam1.JPG (209.32 KiB) Viewed 297 times

cam2.JPG
cam2.JPG (180.47 KiB) Viewed 297 times

There's a small triangulation under the forward brace from the roll hoop. Mick drilled a hole & attached the GoPro with nut & bolt. The Chinese plastic attachments are known to break after a while, so we put a tyrap round the plastic stem & wired that to the roll hoop & included an O-ring in the tyrap. When the camera's in use, the O-ring is slid up & over the camera & secured with a small bit of tape. That's the bit that would hold the rather expensive bit of kit in the case!!
All a bit of a pallava, but seems to work. Belt & braces job
Sue
Cor....having looked at the photos, must clean the camera before next season! Ah, the winter jobs start to come in...…………………….
suebmick

Postby Steve Boother » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Aha, now that's the ticket, perfect. I have got aluminium brackets for mine but of course the case is still plastic but the extra tethers are a great ideas. Thanks for sharing Sue.
Steve Boother

Return to Technical