Engine Oil for the Fiat Engine

Anything technical in here

Engine Oil for the Fiat Engine

Postby Steve Boother » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi

Can anyone recommend which oil would be best for the Fiat engine? Thanks for any recommendations.

Steve
Steve Boother

Re: Engine Oil for the Fiat Engine

Postby F1300Tony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Since nobody else has answered you, Steve, I will have a go.
Everyone has a personal preference when it comes to oil, but the reality is that any decent 10W-50 should do the job because while everything is right the job is not the most demanding, this being pretty much a road engine. Oils are made to ever-improving universal standards driven by the car manufacturers wanting longer service intervals for the fleet market, so the known makes all meet the level. By things not being right, I mean things like temporary loss of oil pressure or excess temperature. In those circumstances a fully synthetic will make the engine last longer.
When it comes to preference I used Mobil oils for twenty years in industry, and saw gearbox oil temperatures drop a bit when we changed to synthetic. Their synthetic grease solved a high temperature problem that was causing expensive production breakdowns. I spoke to many industrial oil reps over the years asking the same question you just did and all but one said was the one beginning with C was over-rated.
One of the hazards of strange inlet manifolds and carb pump jets is the engine oil getting diluted with fuel. I've yet to come across it in 750F, but it was almost universal in F1300.
I am sure you know the need to get the engine oil up to temperature before taking to the circuit. Best of luck for 2020.
F1300Tony

Postby F1300Tony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:52 pm

Sorry, correction, 10W-40.
F1300Tony

Postby Steve Boother » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi Tony

Thank you so much for the information, I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some strange preference for these engines that fellow racers had been aware of.

Hoping to see you at some point in 2020.

Thanks again

Steve
Steve Boother

Return to Technical