Starter motors.

Anything technical in here

Starter motors.

Postby geofff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi All,

I've read on the forum about the usefulness off reduction geared starters and there ability to start the engine from hot (red flag / spin). I've been stranded at the Mallory hairpin before. I've also noted a recommended supplier Lynx AE.

However reading the Punto Haynes manual last night (rock & roll lifestyle) I notice the diesel Punto model has a reduction gear starter and wondered if it's interchangeable with the petrol one, anyone tried it?

Also whilst planning my wiring loom (probably will re-use the loom from a Punto / Seicento) I was wondering what spec to make my starter / ignition switches. Do the starters run "relay / solenoid / starter" or "solenoid / starter" systems? The Haynes wiring diagram just shows a red wire going to the solenoid but doesn't give spec of wire or solenoid power requirement. After some reading on 'pull in' / 'maintain stroke' solenoid windings and their power requirements I'm thinking a 10A fuse should protect the circuit. Sound about right?

Thanks

Geoff
:)
geofff

Re: Starter motors.

Postby F1300Tony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Good thought about the diesel starter motor. The diesel clutch is much bigger so I expect the flywheel is larger but the starter might still be a straight swop. I suspect the geared motors are only standard ones modded to fit other cars but they are definitely more efficient than direct drive types.

I can't see using a car loom making things any easier. It's just a few power supplies. Just my opinion, but I never used a fuse on a race car because it is just something else that could go wrong. Just aim for perfection in the wiring and keep the isolator off unless the car is to be started up.
F1300Tony

Postby geofff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 am

Hi Tony,

Rather than use the Punto loom, I was just going to raid it for the wiring (colours & sizes) but I was then going to add switches and fuse box from VWP or RaceParts. I've made some classic mistakes with wiring previously so 'perfection in the wiring' may be too high an aspiration :)

I will hunt out a diesel starter motor at a scrappy and report back though.

Ta

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby pbove » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Tony’s right, the wiring needs to be simple and reliable. Use good quality switches and don’t expect them to last forever. It helps if you create a bit of a loom and tie it all down to the chassis to stop it moving. Halfords sell a good selection of wire rolls in different colours and amps.

Polevault sell all the plug shapes you will ever need.
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:03 pm

I know it is regarded as a horrible bodge but using terminal blocks instead of connectors allows you to check circuits and repair or modify wiring quickly when things go wrong. Just make sure that nothing nearby will short them out and neither they, nor the wires can flap about. Check and replace them regularly and they will be fine.
Keep it simple - if it takes more than 2 switches to start the engine sooner or later you are going to forget one and panic. Use the same switch for ignition and fuel pump and be sure your hand cannot knock it off during a race.
I do use fuses for most circuits but over-rated so a short circuit won't set the car on fire but there is no danger of them failing in normal use,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:22 pm

I agree, fuses are overrated!! :)
pbove

Return to Technical