New Extinguisher Regs

Anything technical in here

Re: New Extinguisher Regs

Postby pbove » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Andrew,

Best to contact a scrute - they are listed in he blue book or ask the manufacturer or retailer.
pbove

Postby Dave Robson » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:20 am

If it helps, I got a Lifeline Zero 2000 AFFF system for the new car. It has 4.0 litre capacity and the bottle weighs 6.6kg. Yes it will fit in the passenger space with little space for extra ballast!!!
Dave
Attachments
Extinguisher.jpg
Extinguisher.jpg (207.26 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Dave Robson

Postby Conway » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:22 am

on the Demon Tweekes website and I see "OMP Black Collection Mechanical Steel Bottle Fire Extinguisher System - 2.8 Ltr" which says "FIA Approved for use in open cockpit single seater / Sports prototype cars". But this does not appear on the FIA approved no16 list.

In text-speak: ikr (Google it ;) ). But to be more constructive, Demon Tweeks (and others) often seem to miss out vital statistics for extinguishers, but if you dig deeper it's available. For example there are more details for the OMP 2.8 litre that you highlight on OMP's own website: https://www.ompracing.com/en_gb/car-kar ... fst-1.html
On there it confirms the vital homologation number, in this case ECOLIFE N° EX.009.00 (which can also be seen in tiny, tiny print on the bottle in the Demon Tweeks picture). And Ex.009.00 is indeed included in the FIA technical list 16.

Between Demon Tweeks, Merlin, etc, and the manufacturers' own websites I've managed to cross-reference all the extinguishers that I'm interested in, for approval, contents, dimensions, weight and prices.

But as I said on my earlier post, beware the future servicing costs and options. SPA and Lifeline seem relatively economic and easy to service. OMP can only be dealt with by Demon Tweeks.
Conway

Postby pbove » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Lifeline will now only service a bottle that is less than 10 years old and only then if it has been regularly serviced. If it hasn’t then I can’t be more than 6 years old.

This seems to be a money making ploy! Others don’t appear to have the same restriction.
pbove

Postby EmlynC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 am

I had a very interesting discussion with FEV at the Autopsort Show. They were suggesting that all new cars will now need to have gas systems.

I must admit I was very impressed with the size and weight of their gas system, which is designed to discharge into the engine bay and cockpit for fifteen seconds. This does not sound long but there are some interesting videos on their website ( http://www.f-e-v.co.uk ) showing a well established petrol fire put out in about 8 seconds.

Clearly we all hope that the fire extinguisher is something that never gets to be used, but, if it does, the gas system leaves nothing to clean up afterwards, which feels like a real additional advantage to me.

Emlyn
EmlynC

Previous

Return to Technical