Harness

Anything technical in here

Harness

Postby Andrew Gent » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Is it true that you have to buy a new harness to go with a HANS device? I am struggling with the 3" harness in that it doesn't sit right.
Then I looked on web and see there are HANS friendly harnesses which are 2" wide at the top and 3" lower down.
Do we have to use these type as I thought our shoulder straps had to be 3" all the way?

And do our lap straps have to be 3" also?

Thanks, Andrew
Andrew Gent

Re: Harness

Postby GrahanR » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm

The Hans belts are 2" wide at the top. The 3" belts are now called Hans friendly. Go figure....
Seeing as you have to now wear a Hans in all racing both are fine. However I could possibly imagine there could be some dispute if you were to wear a 2" belt with a Simpson hybrid as supposed to a hans. Wether anyone would spot that I have no idea.. we sell all our race cars at fia level and we only ever fit 3" belts.
All the scrutineers will be looking for is the correct in date tags and that the belts don't feel like there going to fall off..
What is more important and potentially the cause of your discomfort is the installation. Have a look at this maybe. ?
If you use something like a trs superlight 6 point you can have either shoulder option and will come with 2" lap straps. Also worth noting given our seating position I would only recommend 6 point harness' depends o how much you value your crown jewels! :shocked:
Graham
Occasional race car #15!
GrahanR

Postby ttelroc47 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi, I have noticed in several other disciplines of motor sport that a different type of helmet restraint is used rather than the rigid HANS device. This has, on ones I have seen, the brand name of Simpson (No not Bart). It consists of a strap around the upper chest, from this two shoulder straps, then two straps from this harness that go to fixings on the helmet. It obviously does the same job as the HANS but is less cumbersome it seems. Is this type of helmet restraint allowed in F750 and the 750MC in general? Would appreciate some feedback as, if all goes to plan, my son and I hope to be joining you on the track in the not too far distant future.
Cheers.....Paul.
ttelroc47

Postby andyk5000 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi PAul this is Andy from Racekits.
We use the Simpson device as the HANS type didnt work with our seating position.
It is fine with the scrutes
Andy
andyk5000

Postby ttelroc47 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for that Andy.
Regards.....Paul.
ttelroc47

Postby pbove » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am

What isn't fine is a HANS 2" shoulder strap without a head restraint device... Stu Cleevely feel foul of this at Silverstone last year (the Ingham is old enough not to require a HANS device) and we had to swap shoulder straps. Won't be a problem for most of us..... I preferred the 3" shoulder straps with the HANS device, the 2" straps are a bit thick and heavy.
Race car....... the clue is in the name, if it's not racing then it's just a car.
pbove

Postby ttelroc47 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Ah! decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks for the heads up on the altered HANS device. Scrutineers hate finding things that have been altered from their specific purpose especially if it has a MSA or FIA production/safety number. Try taking the buckle off your safety harness and tying a neat bow.

Cheers.....Paul.
ttelroc47

Postby suebmick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:50 am

Carl Williamson from Kick Motorsport came over to do a fitting for me & Mick IN our cars

Apart from the awkwardness of getting IN with a HANS, we realised that due to my seating position, if I had a knock of pretty much any sort, I would break my neck. The HANS sat under & touching my helmet chin. THIS IS SOOOOOOOO DANGEROUS.

The Simpson Hybrid has proved to be our saviour. Without that option our racing would've ended. But it ALSO NEEDS TO BE FITTED PROPERLY to you AND your car AND helmet. And it's not how you think it'd be.

Contact Carl at Kick Motorsport. He will come & fit you/car/helmet properly so you don't end up paralysed in the event of an accident. You may have to wait until he's in your area, but it's well worth it
suebmick

Postby max » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 am

I've used 3" wide shoulder straps with my HANS. I do find they tend to pop over the edge of the HANS but it hasn't been an issue other then trying to keep them in place in the assembly area in case a scruit doesn't like it... I will probably go for 2" HANS straps when I buy replacement straps. Just need a new chassis to bolt them into...

The position of the strap attachment and angles of the strap (when viewed from above) is also important with and without HANS. There should be advice in the manual with the devices.

Max
MS750/01
max

Return to Technical