Donington

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Re: Donington

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 am

Despite the safety car regulation being sprung on us in the collecting area, from my vantage point at the side of the track it looked like everyone coped with it very well.

I carefully read the code 60 rules when I first saw them but now I find that I cannot recall them in any great detail without referring back to the blue book so the chances in the middle of the race are not so good.

I agree with Peter. The code 60 rule is likely to lead to dangerous misunderstandings whereas the safety car is a reasonably well understood system and of course the safety car driver is in contact with the race director and better able control the pace and adapt to the circumstances.

However, using a safety car for a start line crash with a straightforward recovery took about 8 minutes out of the Cadwell race leaving only 4 laps of racing. For our sprint races I think that red flags are much fairer to competitors and also the safest system for all concerned.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby DANIELWELSH » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:24 am

martins right about the start line recovery, I didn't think it warranted the safety car , ...whereas I took avoiding action in the rain at hall bends corner ,fell off ,on what I consider to be the most dangerous corner on the circuit ,which had oil on that corner as well , this left my car in a very vunerable position , and just got yellows?..dan
DANIELWELSH

Postby pbove » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 am

Yes, I have discussed this point with Mr Cottrell and, let's just say, I'm not expecting a Christmas card from him this year.....

I don't understand how, when the Final instructions for Cadwell stated "The safety car will only be used for Sports Specials and F1000", you can then use a safety car for 750 Formula....... It wasn't necessary and it ruined the race. Bernard told me that, because there isn't any CCTV at Cadwell they had to work from Marshals reports..... odd considering you could see the incident from Race Control........
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Good for you Peter. If I get the chance I will have a word as well. The guy needs to get used to the the characteristics of the different formulae but he won't know if we don't tell him.
There was an incident at Brands where a car was beached at Clearways and I was not at all comfortable going past it at racing speed after the yellows were withdrawn. I was having a side by side battle with Bill Rutter over the rest of the circuit but we going through there in single file. I thought of saying something at the time and now I wish I had.

It is pretty easy to drive a 750 on the straight so a car at the side of the start finish straight isn't much of a hazard but high cornering speeds and close racing make cars beached on corners more of a danger in my view

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby geofff » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi,

Is scrutineering on the Sunday morning? Or are you all getting sorted the evening before?

Just wanted to get some naked pictures.

Ta

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby Conway » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi Geoff

Hoping to get through scrutineering at some point late Saturday afternoon, even if our garages aren't available at that point.

Failing that it's 07.30 on Sunday.

Conway
Conway

Postby geofff » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:50 am

Hmmm....

Already got my tickets for Sunday, so 7:30 ETA, leave at 05:30. I'll be the one asleep in the corner of the scrutineering bay being prodded by a recalcitrant 7yr old. Maybe driverless cars are a good idea.

Ta

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby suebmick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 pm

I see in the 750MC newsletter that the Austin 7's are to do a parade lap or 2 to celebrate the milestone year "followed by some Formula cars". Does that mean us, or just the "historics"?

In a sort of response to Peter's earlier post on this thread, I haven't heard anything this year about the 750F reaching another milestone. Not even a sticker for the cars. At our 50th anniversary, we had 53 cars on display. Admittedly it took a good month or so of phone calls (rare to have emails then) to make it happen, but we were quite a sight all parked up in the area behind the café & on track for a lap or 2. Some in build state, some hillclimbing or sprinting, some for sale, some racing that weekend etc. I know some regulars thought it was all a PITA, but we managed it & we reminded the 750MC that the Formula IS the Club's history. Some cars are unfortunately no more (Mick's 877 for one), but there have been many additions to the Formula in the last 20 years, even if some of them have gone off hillclimbing etc. We could have had 70. Instead it seems there'll be 17ish.

Shame.
Sue
suebmick

Postby dopdog » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi Sue,

On the 2nd March Lyndon posted in the general section 750MC & 750F birthday hoping to get some response from everyone on here. Unfortunateley only Greg and myself replied to it.

We (H750F) may not be at the sharpe end of the racing spectrum but all of us share ideas drink tea and coffee in our hospitality tent and generally discuss all things going on with our cars and the series that we all love competeing in. All year we have talked about this and Lyndon has put loads of effort into getting us all together to make sure we show all the onlookers what the 750 is all about at Donnington. We have also supported the 750mc for 2 years running at the Silverstone classic and have received loads of interest in what we do and from old racers who used to be in the trophy (im a bit too young to remember them).

Please dont take this as a dig just pointing out that we all rally around to promote what we do and being so close to the Formula its a shame we seem to be so far apart from each other? Even in the pits we are never near each for parking. I do make the effort to come and speak to you all.

Simon Number 7 H750F
dopdog

Postby LyndonH750F » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:48 am

All

As Simon mentions, I had hoped we would have a joint celebration for 80 years of 750MC and 70 years of the Formula. I kicked off conversations with 750MC last summer and had intermittent chats with some of the 750F racers. Ultimately nothing came back from 750F and we were determined to make the most of it. It's been H750F pushing to make the most of this milestone. This wasn't a case of 750MC or H750F ignoring 750F, it sadly was a case of us just not getting anything back from you guys - it's a real shame, as ultimately its YOUR 70th BIRTHDAY!

Therefore we have approx 70 Austin 7s coming to display at Donington and 3 parade laps at lunch. Some of the H750F guys are joining the parade - also celebrating the 750MC birthday. This will showcase the history of 750F. Starting with A7 road saloons followed by modified box saloons (I'm told the A7 Forrest will be there) Ulsters sports cars, development era car such as Anco, Warren, Cowley and then to current H750F cars. We would love to see some F750F wings & slicks machines out there - and you are all of course most welcome to join us.

If you are interested, I'd encourage anyone to contact 750MC *TODAY* as you have to REGISTER to take part.

If anyone has ideas of how we can make the day even better and even bigger (noting we only have 24 hours planning left) I'm happy to hear

Wishing you all a good race, and hopefully moving forwards we can be even more effective together

Lyndon
07930 405535
LyndonH750F

PreviousNext

Return to Race Reports