BRANDS 22/4/18

Posts about championship rounds in here.

BRANDS 22/4/18

Postby F1300Tony » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Finals are up, 15 entered, mostly the usual suspects.
F1300Tony

Re: BRANDS 22/4/18

Postby tdriscoll » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 pm

For race meetings like this one where we only race on the 2nd day of 2; what time do people show up?

Too early and there's nowhere to go, you'll just be in the way; but too late and there will be no room left. The Vees and Locost are out in force, and are notoriously bad at spreading out and taking over the paddock space (thinking Anglesey last year in particular).

Shame our entry is so small, but see you there if you're entered!
tdriscoll

Postby suebmick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 am

We're planning to get there in the afternoon & park up & wait, somewhere..... The Sports Specials won't be gone until about 7pm!
suebmick

Postby tdriscoll » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Right ok, thanks for the tip
tdriscoll

Postby pbove » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:34 pm

In the end we had a reasonable turnout, albeit with a high level of attrition!

Practice
My old Darvi felt very similar to how it used to be, nicely balanced and forgiving. The only thing was, I'm not used to driving a car like that any more! Still, 3rd wasn't a bad result given I haven't driven the old girl since 2008 and only got her back from Robin a week and a half before the race. Driving position still leaves a little to be desired, I couldn't see the lap timer, so all things considered kind of OK.

Race 1
After a very poor start (too much wheelspin) it was a great race, good battle at the front and nip and tuck all the way. Great racecraft from Bill to get back from being a dot in my mirror to win the race, albeit with the help of some traffic - but equally, it went against him earlier in the race which was why he'd dropped back. It was televised, so it will be an interesting watch!

Race 2
Another race, another bad start, I must practice getting it off the line...... Then I was trying to battle back when a flying wheel caught my attention and, not wishing to have a Henry Surtees moment, I braked, went into a spin and ended up in the wall. The car isn't too bad, a bent front wishbone and very bent rear subframe and loads of grave but otherwise it seems to have survived.

Well done to Ed for the win and to Mark and Bob for a titanic battle!

Hopefully, see you all at Mallory.
pbove

Postby suebmick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Blimey! That was a HOT day! I'm knackered (or just getting old!). Thank goodness I had the foresight to postpone the bike track day that we were booked in for there today! I couldn't have got up to be there at 8am!

Not a huge grid like the Historic 750Formula, but 16 of us there for practice, until Conway's core plug popped, so 15 starters for the 1st race.

Odd practice/qualy as I did 3 very slow laps to run the new engine in & found I had no working oil temp guage. Quick check in the pits with His Lordship & out again only to find a red flag on the go. Remembered JUST in time that you go back into the pits & not the grid if practice is red-flagged (senior moment) & then they gave us 6mins 2nd session. Normally takes me 6mins to get my brain in gear so I was chuffed to qualify 9th just behind Bob Simpson & Bill Rutter. Race plan was to stick to either of them for the first few laps & get them to pull me along away from the rivals snapping at my heels.

Worked pretty well for the first race. I tried my best to stay with them as long as I could & managed a 6th. My best ever has been a couple of 5ths, so I was chuffed with that. Still 2 seconds off my PB, but even the super-quickies out there were a fair way off the lap record, so maybe for some reason we all had a slower day than usual. Either that or we're ALL getting older! That's Mick's reasoning, anyway.

2nd race & I was set to do the same, but with Mark Glover ahead of me on the grid I thought I'd try & tag on to him. Unfortunately he didn't move when the lights went out & I had to avoid him (JUST) & lost out to Dan & Paul Morris. (Thankyou you two for avoiding me when I shot left & then got determined through Paddock...sorry Paul...just watched the GoPro!). Got away from my "followers" a bit & then my lovely brand new 3rd gear went. We have a few Relaint boxes at home now Mick's going to Fiat, so carried on using 2nd & 4th. Then bits of 3rd seemed to get in the way of 2nd & I lost that as well. Druids, Bottom bend & Clearways need 3rd! But I tried my best seeing Dan in the mirrors closing fast. When he spun at Clearways I tried to get enough gap to not let him come back at me, but he loomed large again & pipped me to the post. But at least I finished for a good place.

Congratulations to the front runners...it was fun trying to stick at least within sight of Bill, Peter & Mark for a lap after they got me with 1 lap to go in the first race, & to Ed, Bill & Mark for the 1, 2, 3 in the 2nd race.

Lots of broken bits for many people to work on before Mallory. Good luck everyone & see you there. I might even use one of Dick's old experimental gearboxes!!
suebmick

Postby Baggers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi All. Thanks for engaging us in conversation over the weekend, even if we didn't pick the best times to step up and chat. You folks are way more competitive with each other than I was expecting too! The weather was fantastic but more than that it was good to see Peter get out of his car after the race 2 crash - I can't imagine losing control at that point of the circuit is a pleasant experience.

Congrats to Bill for winning the first race and to Ed in the second - neither of them looked easy. I'm planning to be at Mallory but it's dependent on progress with the car. I've got a few more things to think about since being a bit nosy.
Baggers

Postby pbove » Thu May 03, 2018 4:41 pm

Well...... the Darvi is pretty much back together after my little Brands Hatch adventure, albeit, the rear frame is still a bit bent - I'll make a new one when I have time. I've removed industrial quantities of gravel...... I'll post a "Free on collection" ad in the For Sale section. Still, all things considered it hasn't been too bad, a wishbone and the rear frame was about it.

I hope everyone else is progressing well withtheir repairs, see you all at Mallory.
pbove

Postby suebmick » Fri May 04, 2018 7:07 am

Glad you & the car are not too shaken...wasn't a nice experience by all accounts!
suebmick

Postby pbove » Fri May 04, 2018 8:10 am

Having watched the incident on video, I can see why I reacted quite violently to the wheel as it was directly in my field of vision and I was very keen not to be hit by it. The barrier was the safer option!
pbove

Next

Return to Race Reports