Snetterton 300

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Snetterton 300

Postby pbove » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Finals are out:

https://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/28/0/20 ... ure_v2.pdf

No scruting..
Qually 10:40
Race 1 3:10
Race 2 10:55
Race 3 2:50

Looks like good weather for our first triple header. Only 17 entered at the moment, but hopefully, we may get a few more during the week.

See you there.
pbove

Re: Snetterton 300

Postby geofff » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:04 pm

Do any of the drivers want to add a report about the weekend?

It looked just a bit exciting from what I did see.

And congrats to Peter on his 50th :lol:

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby Baggers » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Action from Coram/Murrays from race 2.

https://youtu.be/lZw9NSmg2fY
Baggers

Postby Baggers » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:36 pm

And action from race 3.

https://youtu.be/dgiaA6q7JsY
Baggers

Postby pbove » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:14 pm

Well, that was quite an odd weekend for me! Qualifying went to plan, P1 for races 1&2 despite the rather fragmented nature of the session - who ever heard of a safety car in qualifying?

Race 1 - er, well, coming into the weekend I clocked that the last time we were here we were pulling the highest top speed that I'd seen in a while which, coupled with the hot weather, led me to change to a 3.9 for this weekend. That worked fine, except it counts against you at the start, given that it's uphill and all that. So I still got a reasonable start and was able to open up a gap but then I attempted to use too high a gear (the one I would use with a 4.2) at a couple of the corners and that allowed Olly to catch me. He pulled alongside on the start finish straight and we went into Riches more or less side by side, although I had a slight lift as I didn't want to understeer into Olly. He turned into the apex, which was where I was and hit my front wheel which tipped my off the circuit and the car speared back across thre track, narrowly missing not one, but two Chris'. I regained the track, but my head was all over the place and I drove a really scrappy race ending with a grassy moment at the esses. I ended up around 105th.......

Race 2 - well, it was damp and I was not in a good place, physically or mentally. I got an OK start, but couldn't get any grip and Chris and Olly (both on new tyres this weekend) got ahead. My tyres - new for the first race of the season, didn't wnat to offer any grip and eventually I got past Chris, only to have Mr G come steaming past. Towards the end of the race I seemed to be catching Mark, so I push a bit harder, went off at Murrays and managed to smash the front wing frame allowing the nose to drag along the circuit for a lap. At the end I was only 110th, so better than it might have been.

Race 3 - this nearly didn't happen for me. I was fed up, the front wing was quite badly broken, I was feeling sorry for myself and Jayne (mine, not Chris') was telling me to come home...... So I had a cuppa and a little talk to myself and decided to see whether I could fix the car. I reset the tracking, tapend up the front wing and then used some lockwire to hold the broken support frame together. This didn't really provide enough support, so I opened up a jubilee clip, wrapped it around the broken parts and, hey presto, it pulled the two parts together perfectly..... but would it hold?

I got a reasonable start from 4th on the grid (OK, I wasn't really 110th in the 2nd race) and managed to swoop around the outside of Olly at Riches, only for him to sweep across the front of my car, fortunately, I had lifted and we didn't touch, but watch the onboard, its scary). I outbraked Olly into Montreal and set off after Mark. He pulled out a gap, but my head eventually got onto the case and I closed him down and passed him. Sadly, Mark was much better into Oggies, so the next lap I left my braking really late...... way too late and ran wide, allowing Mark up the inside..... but I managed to get a run through Williams and down the straight which, combined with Mark's overheating and reluctance to use top gear allowed me back in front and to win #50.

I got back to the trailer after the interviews and could do nothing in the break before the prizegiving..... I then packed up the car slowly and got on my way. On the way home i was contemplating whether I was getting too old for the sport.

Monday afternoon I went to the doctor to discover that I had a fever (not Covid) and, probably, a lung infection....... we'll see what comes back from the chest xray.

Well done to everyone who made it out for race 3....... and who kept their cars on the black stuff, something I'm keen to get back to. And a big thank you toeveryone who lent me stuff to fix my car and to Chris and Chris for avoiding having the mother and father of accidents with me!
pbove

Postby RichardJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:53 pm

When asked “how was your weekend?” I can only say “mixed”.

I was 8th on the grid for Race 1 but a poor getaway followed by a missed gear change meant I lost 4 places by the first corner. I managed to pick up a few places through overtakes and retirements and get back to my starting position of 8th. I caught up with Simon at the start of the last lap and after a bit of battling around Bombhole I got a better run out of Murray’s and slipped past only for Simon to just pull back ahead as we crossed the line.

358469D0-FA07-4AA1-806F-8DC9A94B0A84.png
358469D0-FA07-4AA1-806F-8DC9A94B0A84.png (221.2 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Race 2 I was 9th on the grid and another poor start and more missed gears dropped me to 15th by Riches. However due to the slippery conditions and Simon’s pirouette at the hairpin I managed to get up to 7th by the end of the first lap. The car felt good and I continued to make progress but a coming together with Chris G at Murray’s knocked me into a spin and a stall. I managed to get going again but then realised I must have knocked my seat belt buckle during the spin and the shoulder straps were trailing behind me! A quick pit stop where Rich and Ed helped get me strapped in again and off I went. But I was now plum last and ran out of laps to make up any places.

So for Race 3 I was on the back of the grid but this time I got a decent start and found the right gears, so by the end of the first lap I managed to get up to 6th. Chris J who must had caught my poor start syndrome tailed me throughout the first lap and got past on lap 2. I trundled along in 7th until a couple of laps from the end when I felt something odd with the rear end and had to slow up. Conway got past me early on the last lap and coming on to the back straight I could see Simon was catching me fast. I hung on but it was deja vu all over again as he pipped me at the line.

C9FAEA4D-302E-44E9-8354-D4095E39FE7B.png
C9FAEA4D-302E-44E9-8354-D4095E39FE7B.png (209.28 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Afterwards I found a rear suspension mount had come loose and became very bent leaving my left rear wheel with about 20 degrees of toe in which explained the strange handling characteristics. Fingers crossed that I can get it sorted before Silverstone.
RichardJ

Return to Race Reports