Pembrey 2022

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Pembrey 2022

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:28 pm

Last night I dreamt I went to Pembrey again.
And in my dream I went from 8th to take the lead on lap 2 with the fastest lap.

It could never have happened in real life - could it?

Martin
Martin Kemp

Re: Pembrey 2022

Postby pbove » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:47 pm

I nodded off in front of the streamed coverage of race 1 and had the same dream..... weird!
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 am

What did happen in real life was that the car kept cutting out for 5 t0 10 seconds all weekend so although it was really quick when it was going it mucked up qualifying and the races.
In race 1 i did get from 8th to 4th on the first lap but then on lap 2 under yellow flags I came up too quickly behind the leaders and dodged past them rather than jamb on the brakes. I managed more yellow flag infringements in 2.5 seconds than in the previous 25 years and after a chat with the ethics advisor picked up my first driving penalty. Can't really argue with that.

With the benefit of a 5 place grid penalty I started 13th in race 2 but I couldn't make as much progress as I had hoped because the engine kept cutting out.
However for several laps I had a good battle with Jake who was driving really well in only his 3rd race. Very determined and very safe as well - one too watch and only 50 years younger than me. Our battle ended when my engine cut out again and I dropped back which was a shame as it was fun while it lasted.

For me these tussles are one the best parts of racing and as much fun for 14th place as for 3rd. Winning is better but 2nd is really annoying.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:17 pm

Well, as weekends go, the only thing that could have gone better was the weather - oh, and the traffic on the way down there.

Qually
It was properly wet for the qualifying session and, having not been to Pembrey for a few years, I had a fairly cautious start. However, it soon became apparent that the Darvi, even with the very stiff setup I use, was working well and that the circuit actually had a lot of grip. So a session with few dramas and, some unexpected lap times gave me two pole positions for the races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLL5aGQkr28&t=910s

Race 1
We waited and waited and waited for the track to be cleared after some "fun" in the Classic Stocks and by the time we went out I'm sure that we all would have preferred to be on slicks. However, the track down by Hatchetts was still quite wet and the rest of the circuit seemed to be less grippy than in the full wet conditions from earlier. I got a bit of a surprise on the green flag start when it transpired that they didn't have a green flag on the start line, so Pete Harding used a green bag to start us. This was of no consequence as Mark's crank pulley sheared and there was a delayed start to recover his Falcon. At the restart, a black flag was used to start the green flag lap...... go figure! I got a good start, although Rich was right up my chuff and giving me a hard time. Further back, Ian Barley was a bit too optimistic braking for Brooklands hairpin and went off and into the barriers. This brought out a double yellow on the next lap and the SC boards. I noticed them and slowed, Rich was unsighted and came alongside briefly and then Martin weaved through and took an unexpected lead. We trolled round behind the safety car and, at the restart I was able to put in a quick lap to open out a gap to Rich which is how it stayed for the two racing laps before a very premature chequered flag was waved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJa96hv4jw&t=609s

Race 2
Another good start, this time Mr Glover was harassing me - with his shiny new tyres and all. We had a good tussle with Mark taking the lead, me getting it back and both of us arguing over the lap record. In the end, a combination of traffic and a last lap gearbox problem for Mark allowed me a relatively comfortable last lap and the win, but it was a bumpy and tense affair! And finally, I was very pleased to get the LR back from Mark.

Having watched the live stream, there were some great battles through the grid and it was a credit to the formula. I though that there was also a nice vibe again in the paddock - I don't know whether that's the tea tent..... ooops, Hospitality unit or just that everyone is having fun, but, despite the poor weather, it was a really nice weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbtkhh26GAI
pbove

Return to Race Reports