Silverstone April 2022

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Re: Silverstone April 2022

Postby dopdog » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 am

Hi Dan,

let me know if you make it to cadwell if im free I will come and help. I will send you my email.
dopdog

Postby Baggers » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:23 am

Unfortunately despite our best efforts, I'm going to have to pull out. I might catch up with you tomorrow hopefully.
Baggers

Postby Dave Robson » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:35 am

Alex
Sorry to hear that you won't be at Silverstone with your car.

You've made amazing progress with the car and I really thought that you might get there in spite of my earlier predictions that you didn't stand a chance!!

Your videos have been great entertainment; congratulations for sharing the good and the bad.

I hope that now, with some pressure off, you'll have time to get all those little details sorted out...........safe and legal.

Good luck when you get to test.

Dave
Dave Robson

Postby pbove » Mon May 02, 2022 7:55 am

What a great start to the season, not just for me, but for the Formula. It was great to see some old names returning in Huw, Olly, Chris, Simon and Ulric, some new faces - Jake (well, new as a driver anyway) and Martin, and some old faces in new places - Conway.

Qually was held in bright sunshine and my Darvi felt fantastic. The engine rebuild seems to have delivered some extra oooomf and the work we did on the rolling road has helped with mid range torque - so much better out of the corners. I was surprised however, to be on pole by 1.5 secs..... but very happy. Nothing to do to the car, it just felt very hooked up. Good to see Olly getting right back up there and Richard and Conway both impressing with great runs. Good also to see Simon finally getting the Mk4/5 up the grid and a great result for Jake in p10.

Race 1
I got a reasonable start and Olly and I were side by side on the entry to Copse, but he backed off enough for me to take the lead. I then managed to hold off a charging Falcon to scrape a very narrow victory at the flag. Olly drove a great race to keep the pressure on, but I had a slight advantage at Copse and on the exit of Luffield which was enough to stop him being able to slipstream me.

Race 2
Having spent the morning worrying about which tyres to use, the circuit was actually pretty dry when we went out for race 2. I got a shocking start and Olly was pushing hard and took a 1 sec lead which he maintained for the first couple of laps. Gear selection problems caused a quick spin at Brooklands, which I mistook for the circuit having got slippery. Being cautious and having the luxury of not having anything in my rear view mirrors, I backed off thinking that spinning out of a massive lead would make me look a bit of a d**k. I then saw the black and green of Olly's car fast approaching and had to get my trotter down to try and avoid him catching me. A combination of coldish tyres and traffic meant that Olly was right up my diffuser after a few laps which made the last three laps a bit stressful and, again, I was relieved to see the las lap board.

All in all a good start to the season, despite feeling a bit under the weather with a cold.

On to Pembrey and the next installment!
pbove

Postby Conway » Tue May 03, 2022 1:41 pm

IMPORTANT

I have just already posted this under the Parts Suppliers thread too, but it's important that everyone who may be affected sees this ASAP.

Unfortunately I feel I should issue a warning about the batch of big end bolts that Emlyn Coldicott had made a couple of years ago. Having bought the ESC project and everything that went with it, I have a large quantity of these bolts, but will not be using them myself or selling any of them on.

This is because Mark Glover had a set break in 2021 and Martin Depper has just had the same thing happen at full pelt down the Silverstone pits straight on Saturday in the Centaur. The bolts shearing also broke con rods, took gouges out of the block and punched a hole in the sump. That engine had been prepared by CK Engineering for me in 2020 with a set of the bolts from Emlyn (on my request).

Mark is trying to get the bolts analysed by a metallurgist colleague, but the bottom line is that it would be wise not to use them.

If they are already in your engine, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Conway
Conway

Previous

Return to Race Reports