Oulton 2019

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Re: Oulton 2019

Postby RichardJ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:56 am

Hi all,

Does anyone have a couple of spare tickets please?

Looking forward to the weekend, not sure what the weather will end doing, which could make it interesting...

Thanks
Rich J
RichardJ

Postby pbove » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes, I have a couple - let me have an email address and I will send them.
pbove

Postby suebmick » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Sorry Rich...our spares have gone
Sue
suebmick

Postby RichardJ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 pm

pbove wrote:Yes, I have a couple - let me have an email address and I will send them.

Thanks Peter, PM sent
RichardJ

Postby RichardJ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 pm

suebmick wrote:Sorry Rich...our spares have gone
Sue

No problem Sue, Peter’s kindly offered. Look forward to seeing you there
RichardJ

Postby suebmick » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Phew...Oulton's a long way from Kent! If you lot think we're doing Anglesey, you've got another think coming! Managed to take 3 hours off the last journey there a decade ago by leaving home just after 5am on Friday for a 5hour door to door run! But the M20 was still 3 lanes full at that time, & the M25 was 4 or 5 lanes full! Just crazeeeeeeeeee. We arrived to a lot of space in the paddock, unloaded & had a couple of hours kip! Thankfully on a Saturday eve/night, it was a 5hour run home, despite a few emergency stops on the motorway & assorted service stations to repair the front cover of the trailer that was ripping itself to shreds!

Well. For the last race of the season all sorts of faces appeared to do battle & we had a good grid (for the first race anyway). The rain held off until we had left on Saturday, so Mick had good use of the new rubber we'd splashed out on after the old ones went off rapidly at Donington. He qualified 5th & (unfortunately) returned to a Harris start in both races rather than a Buxton start that I thought he had mastered so well at Donington. Spun the rear wheels off the line for the first race & bogged down at the start of the 2nd, so lost places by the first corner. But in his own normal style, he made them back up again & had 2 good races, mostly with Peter Bove, much to the commentator's delight in seeing the battle between 2 Darvis, 1 being a Championship winner & 1 being a Class B Championship winner ( 1 careful lady owner/driver!). Mick finished with a 4th & a 3rd, with the car in 1 piece & a much relieved wife!

Quite a few mechanical failures in practice & 1st race meant that the grid was smaller in the afternoon, but apart from my own personal star of the day, mention must be made to
Mark Glover for a back to back Championship win
David Batholemew for smashing Pete Knipe's lap record set way back when (Reliant days)
Rod Hill for his race 2 Class B win/podium & Christopher Johnson for the same in race 1
and of course to Bill Cowley…

Having never raced at Oulton, young Bill put himself on the front row for both races in the beautiful Cowley Mk4 built by his Grandad in the 1960's, alongside the PRS of David. David was determined from the off, but Bill was truly awesome through the corners & held the front for his first & last Oulton win in the 1st race. (the gearbox went whilst in the lead in the 2nd race).

It would have been so lovely to see him bow out from the Formula with 2 wins, but it was not to be. We will hugely miss the Cowleys in the paddock & hope that possibly at some time in the future, the urge to come back to us will raise it's head. A large piece of the Formula's history is leaving us for new ventures & we wish both Bill & Nige good fortune & all the luck in the world (probably) on 2 wheels. Remember we will spanner for you wherever you go...just let us know where & when & we'll be there.

Sue & Mick
Oulton 1st race - Copy.jpg
Oulton 1st race - Copy.jpg (147.05 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Oulton 2nd race - Copy.jpg
Oulton 2nd race - Copy.jpg (144.73 KiB) Viewed 845 times
suebmick

Postby Gloves » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello All,

I want to thank everyone for their kind words on Saturday. As some of you know my Dad has had some health issues this year and hasn't been able to accompany me to the race meetings, which has seemed strange and I've even missed his customary tap on the helmet and advice to 'just take your time' as we are about to leave the assembly area. I would like to dedicate this championship to him.

I thought the weekend may be jinxed when one of the CV joints on the motorhome started making a loud noise when I started it up on Friday morning prompting me to borrow my dads van and daughters sleeping bag, then when my race car dash went on strike and stopped displaying any data as we entered the pitlane for qualifying on Saturday morning, only to start working again as I passed the chequered flag having spent 15 minutes worrying about overreving the engine and wondering what the oil pressure and water temperature were doing. I was pleasantly surprised to qualify fourth, albeit quite a few seconds behind the top three!

In the race I made a good start but didn't have the pace of Bill, David and Peter and after racing with Mick for a couple of laps realised I didn't have the pace to stay in front of him either, so thought it may be better to stop slowing him down and see if he could make life difficult for Peter, which he did. Fortunately fifth place was enough points in the championship and my head ruled my heart and I sat out the second race rather than risk tempting fate as I hadn't had my third piece of bad luck.

Thanks go to Peter as we have had some good races this year and he pushed me hard right to the end, from the outset it looked like it was going to be close when we each got a win and a second at Brands in April and it remained close all the way through the season. Congratulations to Bill for the win in the first race, as Sue said, he and Nigel will be missed in the paddock and on the track. Congratulations to David B for his comeback win in the PRS and to Richard Rothery for his Class B championship.

Have a great off season, hopefully see you all again next year

Cheers

Mark
Gloves

Postby pbove » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm

Firstly, congratulations to Mark and Richard for their championship wins, both well deserved. I can only agree with Mark that we’ve had some excellent, close racing this year which has been fun to participate in and fun to relive on YouTube.

Looking back at the Donington video has helped me understand why I’m not happy with the car’s handling, looking back at the Oulton videos confirmed that I’m right not to be happy! So, before next year, I need to get the car back to where it was so that I can drive it the way I want to.

Thanks to all the drivers that supported the Formula this year and to Rod and the rest of the committee for another year of stability and good close racing. See you all next year!
pbove

Postby Dave Robson » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Well done Mark & Richard. As Pete says, well deserved. Enjoy the Winter break and see how you go next season.
From the other end of the grid its been a less pleasant experience. However, I hope that oil pressure, inlet manifold and clutch maladies will not reappear next season and I won't have to look so hard in my mirrors when being lapped!
Dave
Dave Robson

Previous

Return to Race Reports