Donington (2)

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Donington (2)

Postby suebmick » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Just to get back to "race reports"...…….

Well, what an emotional weekend for all sorts of people! Far more entries than originally expected, thankfully, which squidged us all up a bit in the garages, but good to see more on the grid.

We've called ourselves Team Harris for a few years now, but a Team of 1 (me) just doesn't quite do. The dual Harris household is geared all year to "the season" & with only one of us still "a racing driver", as far as I could see, this was the year for us both to get back where we belonged. And I wanted Mick to do Mallory because that's where 3+ years ago he suddenly stopped being a racer. As my car is the only complete 750 in the garage, he had to get back in a front engine car & see if he still had what it takes. He enjoyed Mallory, but didn't push & "let people past" until he bumped into Rod & had to pull off with a DNF.

Cadwell was to be his "return" to form, but his back said otherwise & we spent weeks getting him fit again. So, for me, Donington it was. Make or break. Team Harris going forward into the future, or pack up/sell up & go home. Ride the bikes. Sell trees. Go & watch other people "doing" from the "wrong" side of the fence.

Those of you who saw me at Mallory & before/during the first race will have seen how much it means to us both. I apologise for being a wreck. But that's the reason. Now you know.

BUT. My car knows how to make 5-6places off the line because I've trained her well over the years, & despite having MR Harris at the wheel whose "good starts" you could count on one hand over his entire 40-odd years career, My lovely Darvi took care of him & shot him forward as she normally does straight back into the crowd of drivers he knows so well.
Our huge thanks to Bob Simpson. Mick & Bob have been side by side on track ever since "the Boy" arrived on the racing scene as Dick Harvey's "spanners". He needed a real RACE again, & Bob provided just that. It wasn't the result Bob fought hard for, as to Mick's relief a lap or so before the end, Bob started to slip back a bit & Mick took the 3rd place behind a fiercely contested fight between Peter Bove & Mark Glover.

If anyone wants to see a couple of laps of the first race, look us up on F/Book under Team Harris Racing

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what anybody else did in the race as most of it was spent holding on to Paul Collins & Paul Morris with tears pouring. But 3 years of strain has now lifted off me &, as Paul Collins has said, I am back to the old Sue, & Mick is back to the old Mick. We are a Team again. We are here to stay. He is back. (Mind you, we've gotta get some new tyres first. Watching the race, & then confirming it by watching the GoPro, the team manager obviously forgot to ensure he had a decent set of rubber! The 2 year-old shoes were shot after 2 laps of the 2nd race & he missed nearly every apex!)

Congratulations to all the winners of both races & to everyone who overcame difficulties to finish the day with a chequered flag. The Championship fight still goes to the wire at Oulton by the looks of things between Peter & Mark, & I look forward to watching your battling again. And congratulations to Ulrich Hilliam, Richard Dixon & Greg Swan for podium finishes in Class B. Your faces show what Class B is all about. Well done you. And how lovely was it to see our own Dick Hartle back having a wander around Donington, catching up with many old faces!

Roll on Oulton!

Donington Own World - Copy.jpg
Donington Own World - Copy.jpg (224.2 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Donington winners - Copy.jpg
Donington winners - Copy.jpg (198.99 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Stress-free Sue
Last edited by suebmick on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suebmick

Re: Donington (2)

Postby pbove » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 pm

It was also a slightly emotional weekend for me.

Practice
New tyres meant a good run in practice, once they had developed some grip and it was just starting to come together when the red flag came out. At the restart I managed to get some clear circuit which helped to get a reasonable time. I was gutted to be DQ'd after practice, relieved that I successfully protested the decision and got my £260 back...... and overwhelmed by everyone's support, disappointed about Bill's engine woes.

Race 1
A fairly average start so I was surprised to find myself leading at Redgate. Mark managed to pounce after a couple of laps and then we had a tremendous battle to the end, with him quicker at some parts and me at others. Eventually after several lead swaps I eked out a gap and manage to hold on to the end, despite a ever lengthening brake pedal. It was a nice surprise to see Mick pull up for te interviews having scored a long overdue podium. After the race, I found a broken copper brake pipe and, luckily, also discovered that Ed Pither had copper pipe and a swaging tool. A new pipe and a lot of bleeding later and I was back in business.

Race 2

Another average start, another good battle, except this time Mark's top engine mount decided it was time to give up and he backed off which allowed me a fairly comfortable romp home to win number 39...... and then was awarded the Raceparts voucher... happy days - Its a shame they don't have a lottery draw on Sundays..... I would have been a shoe in.

See you all at Oulton Park.
pbove

Postby Conway » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 am

Hi All

I’ve waited a couple of days before posting this to see if I felt the same, and I do, so here goes.

I had a good Sunday. I improved my lap times, the car held together and I finished both races. I had a good tussle with Dan in race 1 right down to trading places twice within the last half lap. I was on my own for most of the second race while Dan and Greg fought it out behind me, but that gave me the chance to improve my lines.

Congratulations to all the podium people, everyone else who finished and especially to the people who fixed seemingly terminal problems to race on. Commiserations to those whose problems really were terminal.

But…

…two things tainted the event for me. One of our number went home visibly upset about the abuse he received following an incident on track. I’m not sure if we’ll see him again now. He was too polite to name anyone involved.

The second was hearing that someone else was told they weren’t wanted in one of the pit garages.

I try to get on with everyone in the paddock and allow space on track, so I’m saddened by both things, whatever the circumstances or history. I know this is competition, but the community spirit was one of the attractions of this formula for me.

If we want to boost numbers we should reflect on how we treat each other. It’s easier to retain customers than gain new ones and we all need each other or there is no formula.

:|

Sermon over. See you all at Oulton Park.
Conway

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:32 am

Great report Sue,
Seems like we all had a good weekend even though there did seem to be a lot of technical issues in both formula. I finally manged to get the time to speak to some of you but I also had issues in the day. Will make a bigger effort at Oulton and am looking forward to it already.

Simon
dopdog

Postby suebmick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 am

Conway wrote:Hi All

I’ve waited a couple of days before posting this to see if I felt the same, and I do, so here goes.

I had a good Sunday. I improved my lap times, the car held together and I finished both races. I had a good tussle with Dan in race 1 right down to trading places twice within the last half lap. I was on my own for most of the second race while Dan and Greg fought it out behind me, but that gave me the chance to improve my lines.

Congratulations to all the podium people, everyone else who finished and especially to the people who fixed seemingly terminal problems to race on. Commiserations to those whose problems really were terminal.

But…

…two things tainted the event for me. One of our number went home visibly upset about the abuse he received following an incident on track. I’m not sure if we’ll see him again now. He was too polite to name anyone involved.

The second was hearing that someone else was told they weren’t wanted in one of the pit garages.

I try to get on with everyone in the paddock and allow space on track, so I’m saddened by both things, whatever the circumstances or history. I know this is competition, but the community spirit was one of the attractions of this formula for me.

If we want to boost numbers we should reflect on how we treat each other. It’s easier to retain customers than gain new ones and we all need each other or there is no formula.

:|

Sermon over. See you all at Oulton Park.

Conway. You are a lovely person. The Formula paddock is lucky to have you amongst us!
suebmick

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Conway,

I agree with you about the first incident. I witnessed the incident on track and it can be seen in my soon to be released race video. I believe it was dealt with by the officials.

I did not see the verbal abuse so I cannot give any opinion on that incident, however in general verbal abuse is not acceptable and if reported can lead to disciplinary proceedings. It is also very rare in our formula. I have never suffered it in 20 years of racing and I have given plenty of people good cause. I spoke to the abused driver and tried to reassure him that this was not what he can expect in our formula.
from
A more typical incident is a start line collision at Cadwell which knocked off my front suspension. Bill Rutter and I discussed it at Donington. We know what happened and it was just one of those things. As Dick Harvey said to me in the ambulance once " it wouldn't happen if people didn't drive so fast"

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby mrsginer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 pm

To all concerned,

The incident that is being referred to I presume is the one involving myself. I can say that no ABUSE was given to the other driver involved in the incident from my point of view. If you feel concerned about this then please feel free to contact me directly or speak to me in person at Oulton Park and I will happily let you know what was said.

Kind regards

Bob Simpson
mrsginer

Postby suebmick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Martin. You too are a good soul. And you always make us laugh. We are blessed with many like you in the Formula!
suebmick

Postby pbove » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:20 pm

There are a couple of nice pics in Autosport today, one of me holding everyone up at Redgate and the other of Greg in the Ingham which looks as though it was taken by one of the track limits cameras! :)
pbove

Postby suebmick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Here where?
I presume you meant There
suebmick

Next

Return to Race Reports