Croft

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Re: Croft

Postby dopdog » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

RichDixon wrote:Sorry Guys, but I've had to withdraw. Engine work is taking a little longer than hoped. Was looking forward to a run out with an on song car on a resurfaced croft but its not to be. Rich J will be out at Cadwell & I should be back out on track at Donington.

Best of luck to you all up north.
Rich D

I love the way you all say croft is up north. Knockhill is north lol :roll:
dopdog

Postby suebmick » Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm

If it's north of Watford Gap...it's ooop narth
Sue
suebmick

Postby RichDixon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 am

dopdog wrote:
RichDixon wrote:Sorry Guys, but I've had to withdraw. Engine work is taking a little longer than hoped. Was looking forward to a run out with an on song car on a resurfaced croft but its not to be. Rich J will be out at Cadwell & I should be back out on track at Donington.

Best of luck to you all up north.
Rich D

I love the way you all say croft is up north. Knockhill is north lol :roll:

That'd be Southern Scotland, I think you'll find ;-)
RichDixon

Postby geofff » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 am

Hi All,

I watched the Croft race on YouTube and the leaders in both races went out, but what happened? Anyone know?

thanks

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby ninja » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:14 am

hello.
great meeting, well worth the travel time.
practice was not good for me, could not get a feel for the car or track, but got through with no problems
race 1 started well as tucked in with Huw and Conway but soon they were reshaping their cars and left me to race on alone.
a few laps in and the track and car started to feel good and finished race with no mechanical issues.
Race 2 and in close with Paul and Conway for a few laps. Paul nearly lost it out of hairpin slowing us both down and Conway gat a few seconds ahead.
I followed Paul for a bit then past him but Conway was just out of reach.
hope we go back next year.
Well done to Alex in the Ingham, driver of the meeting for sure :+:
Thanks to Graham who kept me in coffee from his dinky camper van.
Nige
ninja

Postby pbove » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:43 pm

geofff wrote:Hi All,

I watched the Croft race on YouTube and the leaders in both races went out, but what happened? Anyone know?

thanks

Geoff
:)

Olly span during a titanic battle with Bill and on Sunday, Bill's drive belt started to jump.

All the action from Saturday is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3nNAA ... e=youtu.be

And Sunday is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kqp1b4TATk
pbove

Postby BenandOlly » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:28 pm

For us Saturday was a bittersweet experience as we snatched disaster from the jaws of victory. We were thrilled when Olly qualified on pole for both races and he was pretty focused waiting for the afternoon race. What a race it turned out to be. Bill got away at the start and the lead changed ten times in all between them until Olly got ahead on the penultimate lap and felt that he had to draw away to prevent Bill from overtaking him again through the complex and hairpin on the final lap, as he had done multiple times. Unfortunately Olly pushed too hard and ran out onto the grass and span into a barrier, trashing the engine cover and wing supports as well as bending the axle. It was a fantastic race for him up to that point and a big step us for us. As Dell Boy would say, this time next year....
BenandOlly

Postby Baggers » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Well, what a weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect before coming up but I certainly wasn't expecting to be lined up between to 750 formula legends Peter Bove and Chris Gough in the assembly area for the start of both races! It was a bit of a squeeze to fit in the car, but we made it work.

Practice couldn't have gone better. We lined up in assembly with about half the field behind us. I kept looking in the mirrors expecting the rest of the field to drive up to and around me, but no one came along by (except for Bill Cowley) and the cars in front disappeared. It meant I could really focus on building up my pace and getting some good laps in. 5th on the grid for both races - ecstatic! The car felt great and I don't think I could've gone quicker without taking big risks.

I just couldn't believe the amount of grip that the cars had off the line, so I didn't make the bests of start for race 1 - really showed my inexperience. Luckily I was on the inside for the first couple of corners so everybody had to go the long way around. I ended up behind Martin - I don't remember getting the place back but I think he ran wide out of the complex. Now I chased down Chris (in fifth) who I could see was driving defensively, especially into Tower. I managed to stay right behind him whilst he kept tight into the complex, so I had a go around the outside and made it stick. He stayed in the tow for a few laps so I focused on getting some solid laps in to get away, which I managed to do until the engine just lost all power. I crawled around for a couple of laps hoping it would clear, but it didn't so had to park it. It turned out the carburetor decided to undo itself, fortunately one of the marshals handed some of the bits back to us, and we managed to borrow some bits (thanks to the Cowleys and Conway - maybe some others but I forgot who!)

Race 2. Shear panic ensues as I couldn't get the car into first gear as the lights turned red - another lesson, slip it into gear as you get to the start line. Finally it slipped in as the revs rose, about half a second before the lights went out. I lost a load of places but was honestly just relieved to get off the line. I had to give Rod best into the first corner which let Danny by. I managed to get Danny back at the Clark Esses. I had a go at Rod on the outside into the Complex as well but he was having none of it. The carburettor wasn't quite as good as it was earlier in the day which left me down on power, but a slowing Martin bunched us together allowing me to slip past him at Clerveaux. A mega tow on the back straight got me right behind Rod who braked earlier than I expected. I wasn't planning a move there and thankfully he left me enough room to slip by. I managed to hold onto the back of Bob until he broke the tow and that was that.

A great weekend for me - I smiled all the way home. Many thanks to Greg for letting me drive his car - I found it beautifully balance and really impressed with the speed and grip of the cars and glad to hand it back in one piece. Sadly, work now takes me overseas for 12 months but I'm planning to be on the grid for 2021.
Baggers

Postby suebmick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:09 am

Alex...we were watching on Alpha Live. You were impressive!
Sue & Mick
suebmick

Previous

Return to Race Reports