Pembrey

Posts about championship rounds in here.

Pembrey

Postby pbove » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Really disappointing entry for Pembrey - sadly it looks as though we'll be on an MSA yellow card this year having grown to an average entry of around 20 last year, we are really struggling this season and I'm not really sure why.

Anyway, for all those people planning to hotfoot it down to the Gower Peninsula to watch us (or indeed, to watch on live timing) the schedule is:

Saturday
Qually 10:00

Race 1 2:15

Sunday
Race 2 11:00

So a whole afternoon to spend relaxing in the sun or taking in the gorgeous local scenery. And not too late a finish on Sunday - hurrah.
pbove

Re: Pembrey

Postby suebmick » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:19 pm

OOh. Whoever's got the current 750F LR there will have it forever!

There'll be a new LR to be had this weekend.

Just seen a plan of the new layout. I thought they'd changed Dibeni, but hadn't realised that Speed Straight now isn't! Time for a circuit walk Fri night methinks

Sue
suebmick

Postby pbove » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Naah, go in blind, its much more fun!! :)
pbove

Postby Conway » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 am

According to the club website that will be Bob Simpson's current lap record preserved forever then. Very fitting.

Sorry not to be there this weekend, but I'll playing my part at Cadwell.

Conway
Conway

Postby Baggers » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

No lasting engine damage from Rockingham then hopefully?
Baggers

Postby Conway » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:04 pm

No, thankfully. Pistons, con rods and bottom end all checked and ok. Valves replaced. Flywheel will have 12.9 grade cap screws this time. New timing pulley modified as per Martin's recommendation. Have also been attempting to correct some rear disc run out, attending to (i.e. replacing) a grumbling fuel pump and faffing about with airflow to the new oil cooler. My family now think it's normal that I strip the car down to its component parts between every event :roll:
Conway

Postby pbove » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Make sure you check the rear disks with the wheels torqued up to the normal setting otherwise there will be run out that won't be there with the wheels tight - a mistake I spent a long time trying to correct....... :idea:
pbove

Postby suebmick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 pm

Flippin' 'ec that was one HOT weekend.

8 hours in the blazing sun to get there on Friday (GRRR. ...travelling on a bloody Friday!), full on sun all sat & sunday morning, a forest fire or 2 to watch at Burry port & further afield, & 5 blasted hours in 30-31degrees on the journey home.....and No, Paul Collins, we forgot to get the air-con sorted before we left! I'm getting too old for all this heat & exertion! Even Mick pouring litres of water in my race suit didn't stop me from being desperate to get out of all my gear once I was back at base after each outing!

Weirdly, when I got home, I found we'd sold a couple of shrubs to someone who lives on Pembrey Mountain at Burry Port & had been watching the crazy people going round in circles in the sun whilst worrying about the fire on the mountain getting near her house. Apparently the rain which arrived not long after we left has pretty much put it out now.

Having rebuilt my race box AGAIN Mick was rather hoping it would work properly. No. It has a mind of its own & kept jumping out of second at inopportune moments in qualifying. So in went Mick's Mk2 box, which for the life of me I can't get on with. 2nd's in a funny place for me & for the races I just gave up & used 3rd instead, which wasn't the best for a quick time, but better than trying to get it into reverse at the hairpin!

Had a great race with Andy Kemp & James Jeffery in race 1...thankyou both for pushing me along to a decent time-ish. Race 2 was more lonely....managed to go wide & avoid the mayhem at the hairpin first time through. For the 2nd race in a row I seemed to be behind Bob which was briefly encouraging until he p'd off into the distance. Seemed to make up quite a few places through no skills of my own & end up with a 7th place in race 2!

Off to strip the gearbox down AGAIN & see what we can come up with for Cadwell & get me back into some sort of rhythm on track. In the meantime we'll be at Mallory for 3 days on the Norton, so this week is bike week & we'll sort the Darvi when we come back!

Don't forget we'll have a get-together on Saturday night at Cadwell for anyone who wants to join us...bring your own food/drink/chair & we'll pass the evening with some witty banter! Probably...if I'm not p'd off with my gearbox!!

See you all there
Below is the motley bunch of winners on the podium....I was just so knackered I decided it was easier to sit on it!

Pembrey winners.jpg
Pembrey winners.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
suebmick

Postby pbove » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:46 am

Well, if I needed a reminder that Winter rebuilds are necessary this season has made the point quite markedly! The good news was that the changes made after Rockingham had reduced the mid corner understeer and the clutch was much better...... The bad news was that they've taken away my favourite bend!!

All in all, I was reasonably happy to be P2 for both races, albeit, the times between Mark and me were pretty close!

I got my customary poor start - well actually, a reasonable start, except that I couldn't change from first to second off the line. Dropped to 4th, managed to repass Mark after he was held up getting onto the back straight and started to close Bill down on lap 2 when I lost all the gears except 4th. I then compounded the problem by having a little spin at the new complex. Starting off again in 4th was a bit tricky as was finishing the race..... particularly as the panhard rod mount had been ripped off the chassis by the big hole I spun into ......

So, lots of repairs for Cadwell.... and the problem of trying to find a gearset now that Ron Welsh has retired..... I remember now why I bought the Quaife! see you all at Cadwell, hopefully, with the car.
pbove

Return to Race Reports