Sealed Engines

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Sealed Engines

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:18 pm

At Brands Hatch the scrutineers sealed the engines of the top 4 in the championship which at that time included Andrew.
Unfortunately we had just found that the engine had lost compression on one cylinder and so Andrew had to race like that at Mallory.
Does anyone know what the procedure is from here. We have heard nothing about what happens next and we cannot do anything to the engine because it is still sealed,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Re: Sealed Engines

Postby pbove » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Martin Kemp wrote:At Brands Hatch the scrutineers sealed the engines of the top 4 in the championship which at that time included Andrew.
Unfortunately we had just found that the engine had lost compression on one cylinder and so Andrew had to race like that at Mallory.
Does anyone know what the procedure is from here. We have heard nothing about what happens next and we cannot do anything to the engine because it is still sealed,

Martin

Hi Martin,

You need to contact Bob Blackmore who will arrange to inspect the engine - PM me for his contact details....
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanks Peter, we have been afraid to go anywhere near the engine in case we accidentally damage the seals,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Yep, I discovered that the seals meant it was really really hard to get the exhaust off - I ended up having to pass the sealing wire between two of the primaries that touch each other...... that was a sweaty moment!
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:18 pm

The Merlin is locked away in a remote and secret location - possibly a bit extreme,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby suebmick » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 am

We contacted Bob Blackmore a few weeks ago & he told us that we were not going to be "needed". But after the official email just after Brands we've had no notification to say we can take the seals off & get on with the winter stripdown. If I hadn't messaged him, we'd still be none the wiser!
Sue
suebmick

Postby Martin Kemp » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:44 pm

I have corresponded with Bob Blackmore now.
He thought we had a twin cam with hydraulic lifters. However when I explained that the Merlin had lost compression on no 8 cylinder, he said he won't need to see the engine now.

Usually it seems that if you haven't been contacted after 30 days then you are free to remove the seals

Martin
Martin Kemp

Return to General