Race meeting formats

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Race meeting formats

Postby LyndonH750F » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Triple Headers?
I believe the LOCOSTs have trialled having some 'triple header' meetings over a weekend. Could 750F use this idea in 2021? Perhaps it may help if you had a late season start (giving more time to people building cars to finish them), schedule less rounds but add some triple headers? Over the season this may also help to slightly reduce accommodation/travel costs.
LyndonH750F

Re: Race meeting formats

Postby pbove » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 am

We've always had mixed reactions to double headers - some prefer two races on the same day, others one on each day - I guess it depends on individual circumstances.

I'd be happy with triple headers, I suspect that I might be in the minority though.
pbove

Postby Conway » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:32 am

I have a mixed view on this. While it sounds efficient in theory we seem to suffer regularly from high attrition over the course of quali and 2 races, let alone 3.

My one experience of a triple header was at Cadwell in 2018 when a third race was squeezed in to make up for one lost earlier in the season. The Cadwell event illustrates my concern: 20 people showed up initially, but for various reasons that was reduced to just 12 starters for the 3rd race.

I'd be up for trying it again, but the unfortunate reality is that many of us need to fix things between races and that's not always possible in the paddock.
Conway

Postby Steve Boother » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:59 am

I think I would echo Conway's comments. A non-fixable problem in qualifying or race 1 for example to lead to a costly weekend in terms of the championship and pocket if it were a triple header. I think the double header configuration works well for us but just my personal opinion.

Steve
Steve Boother

Postby dopdog » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:02 pm

I quite like the idea of a triple header e.g. 2 x 15 min sessions on one day and then the same the next. I do agree with the attritian but a well prepaired car should make 4 sessions, but of course we never know what is going to happen.

Happy to stay as we are as well :|
dopdog

Postby Martin Kemp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:39 pm

I don't think triple headers are a good idea.
It is just putting too much money and effort into one meeting. If a meeting coincides with a family event then that is nearly 25% of the season gone. Even well prepared cars can have someone run into them and with £450 and championship chances ruined, even good natured drivers may get bad tempered.

With a 2 car team, I wouldn't be keen to fork out about £1000 for a meeting on the Silverstone National circuit as I find it a bit boring . Others may have objections to other circuits, so I think there would be less variety and fewer entries rather than more. Double headers work well for the Club and competitors. Being retired, I think one or two day double headers is a more a concern for workers and families. Just make sure you keep up my winter fuel allowance,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Gloves » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi All,

I seem to recall the Locost triple headers were because of large grid sizes where the field was split into 3 groups (A, B and C unsurprisingly) and then two groups raced each other A vs B, B vs C and finally A vs C. It looks like F1000 have triple headers this year on two day weekends and 5Club as well (although that may be the same as the Locost format because of numbers).

I agree with Martin and Conways concerns on triple headers, there are cars which have mechanical issues over a weekend, there is always the risk of accident damage, whether self inflicted or through someone else's poor driving, poor maintenance or sheer bad luck, all of which can have a significant impact on the cost of a meeting, both financially and with championship points. There is also the issue with attrition leading to reduced grid sizes for races 2 and 3 which could have an impact on championship status if starting grid numbers fall too low. Finally, it may be cheaper to have 4 triple headers in a season than 6 double headers, but its really only the regular attendees that will feel the benefit and may actually deter the occassional entrant from joining us if entry fees are 400 - 450 pounds rather than 300 - 360.

It would also mean we visit less circuits, I'm sure we all have our favourites and every season is a compromise but it feels like it would be a compromise too far.

Having said all that I applaud the question being asked, we need to explore all options to find out what will work best for the formula going forward.

Thanks,

Mark
Gloves

Postby suebmick » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:44 pm

We agree with all the above.

If we only have a (normal) 12 race calendar, that makes 4 outings/circuits.

Half the fun of racing is to visit as many circuits as we can in any one, or two, years. Different challenges on different circuits make for a more interesting/fun year. If you're just out to win a championship, then ok, but the majority of us are out there for enjoyment & the taking part. We need the fun element to keep grid numbers up. We are not professionals aiming at progressing up the ladder. We need variety & reliability.

The other half of the fun, for us, is the social side of the paddock. We do actually look forward to seeing PEOPLE. If it's only a few times a year we may have to find another way of gathering for a giggle somewhere else.

Sue & Mick
suebmick

Postby agmanRH » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:55 pm

I see everyones view on it. Peter hit the nail on the head with it being down to individual preference. Like for me a triple header would be more cost effective as it would save travelling cost quite a bit. Coming from just outside Plymouth, correct me if wrong am I going to be the longest traveller?
But with only 4 times a season, Sue and Mick are right the social side would have a big impact. As far as championship is concerned for me I wouldn't be too worried with points seeing I'm new to the game but also it's a hobby to me! It comes down to what you want from it all at the end of the day.
agmanRH

Postby suebmick » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:47 am

You would be, unless Andy Twort comes out to play again. He lives in the Outer Hebrides &, depending on the weather, it can be a 3-4 day journey one way!
suebmick

Next

Return to General