2021 Intentions

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Re: 2021 Intentions

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 am

Andrew and I will be out again next year provided old age doesn't catch up with me.
Andrew is just finishing another Falcon chassis and there are possibly another one or two in prospect.
He will also be providing some components for some other new build cars. This is something that we can do to make it much easier for people building or rebuilding their own cars. In particular front uprights, rear axle and bodywork are parts that are time consuming to make and we have some extensively crash tested component designs that can be adapted to suit other cars.
There are other competitors who have the capacity and knowledge to make parts. The problem for a newcomer is knowing who they are.

There must be a dozen people with partially rebuilt 750 cars held hostage in garages all around the country. They need to be rescued.

And finally a special mention for Ian Barley who rebuilt his Falcon after a Honda Civic drove right over the top of it in the Birkett, only to crash into the Armco first time back out at Mallory through no fault of his own. Despite bending the de Dion and breaking the front suspension he rebuilt the car in time for Silverstone and at one stage had a good race with Bob Simpson. Definitely a doughty competitor.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 am

Indeed! Also, from what I understand of the Civic accident, the car was pretty much destroyed with the exception of he chassis which emerged unscathed, so great design and build Martin.
pbove

Postby hcd » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:28 pm

I was 50% in for next year as I have to juggle family, business, money, ill health etc (you've heard it all before), but I'll make that a 100% commitment and continue sponsorship. I might even come out in a reliable car as well.

As the first person to fit a Ford Rocket gearbox I can say it has more than paid for itself in reliability, consistency and the availability of parts is a dream. It's one of the few parts of the car that if I need to replace or upgrade something I don't have to make it myself. The fabrication of parts is both part of the appeal and part of the turn-off with the 750F. The time involved increases workshop time and the fabricated parts are generally the ones that fail. An off the shelf 750F using bolt-on parts - how nice would that be?

I wet lay my carbon bits - using polyester resin no less. I use it just because it looks nicer rather than for any competitive advantage.

Crazy idea: How about Virtual 750F where each of the current cars (and historic cars possibly) are modelled using a owner provided data and a 3D scanner and made available on platforms like Assetto Corsa? Would anyone from the real 750F also take part in a virtual race series?

Huw
hcd

Postby Gloves » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm in for next year as well.

Cheers

Mark
Gloves

Postby Gloves » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Huw,

virtual 750f would be great. I've been using a modded Radical (max downforce, tiny inlet restrictor) on Project Cars2 to geta bit of practice in, having something a bit closer to 750 would be great.

Mark
Gloves

Postby Steve Boother » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:24 pm

hcd wrote:I was 50% in for next year as I have to juggle family, business, money, ill health etc (you've heard it all before), but I'll make that a 100% commitment and continue sponsorship. I might even come out in a reliable car as well.

As the first person to fit a Ford Rocket gearbox I can say it has more than paid for itself in reliability, consistency and the availability of parts is a dream. It's one of the few parts of the car that if I need to replace or upgrade something I don't have to make it myself. The fabrication of parts is both part of the appeal and part of the turn-off with the 750F. The time involved increases workshop time and the fabricated parts are generally the ones that fail. An off the shelf 750F using bolt-on parts - how nice would that be?

I wet lay my carbon bits - using polyester resin no less. I use it just because it looks nicer rather than for any competitive advantage.

Crazy idea: How about Virtual 750F where each of the current cars (and historic cars possibly) are modelled using a owner provided data and a 3D scanner and made available on platforms like Assetto Corsa? Would anyone from the real 750F also take part in a virtual race series?

Huw

Hi Huw

Thanks for the confirmation for next year.

On the topic of Assetto Corsa, I do have the sim and can see this being a winter attraction for us racers who would like to be on track. How to extract the data from the car may be a problem for me but willing to try. Maybe you could start a separate post relating to off-season sim racing would be great. Greg Swan has a lot of experience with this too.

Steve
Steve Boother

Postby Steve Boother » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Gloves wrote:Hi Steve,

I'm in for next year as well.

Cheers

Mark

Perfect, thanks Mark.

Steve
Steve Boother

Postby Steve Boother » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 am

Just to keep this thread on track i.e. who is intending on entering for the 2021 season please keep the confirmations coming, I know there are more that will definitely be there but just haven't given the green light yet. Anyone who can help nudge, please do.
Steve Boother

Postby agmanRH » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:38 pm

I've got a long way to go with the build but hopefully I'll be there for 2021. :+:
agmanRH

Postby Andrew Gent » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:52 pm

I'm in for next year.
Andrew Gent

PreviousNext

Return to General