2021 Pre-season outing

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

2021 Pre-season outing

Postby Steve Boother » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi All

I was wondering if it might be a bit premature to start to build some ideas for a 2021 pre-season outing. Assuming we are all in a better place next year in relation to the pandemic I thought it would at least be a good idea to think positively and get some ideas down on paper.

I am looking for some good suggestions for something suitable that would entice as many of us as possible to attend. I assume motorsport related would be of the most interest but maybe some other topics would too.

Please post your ideas.

Steve

Another quick question - I assume that the 750MC will have a stand at next years Autosport Show at the NEC, do we have a batch of out 750 Formula drivers regularly attend to help with promotion?
Steve Boother

Re: 2021 Pre-season outing

Postby pbove » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 pm

How about a trip to the V5 simulator .......
pbove

Postby dopdog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 am

pbove wrote:How about a trip to the V5 simulator .......

That sounds interesting Peter but a quick google and I failed to find anything? Can we have some more info on it :)

"Another quick question - I assume that the 750MC will have a stand at next years Autosport Show at the NEC, do we have a batch of out 750 Formula drivers regularly attend to help with promotion?"

I am not sure how often we get asked for this one but the Historics did go last year and also I have been at the Silverstone Classic for the past 2 years with my car. You end up with 2 weekend tickets for about £40 so as just up the road from me its a great offer and of course weekend.
dopdog

Postby Steve Boother » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:50 am

I think that is the VR5 Motion Simulator like they have at BSimRacing.

That would be excellent if that is what Peter means.
Steve Boother

Postby F1300Tony » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:52 am

It should not be a question of waiting to be asked to have a car at the Autosport show, more a question of pushing to be allowed to show a car and having a car ready. Perhaps we pressure whoever wins the championship. Yes, there ought to be 2 or 3 drivers around the car promoting the formula.
I was once volunteered to work the 750MC stand. My job was to get people to register their details and then they could do a competition whereby they had to find 6 scrutineering issues with a F4 car, loose rosejoints etc. The prize was to drive a few laps around Mallory in a FF1600. It would have been the only car at the show where people were encouraged to touch a race car. It was very successful and I found it easy to divert most people walking past the stand, even though that is absolutely not my sort of thing. I relate this as an example of the sort of broad thinking needed.
F1300Tony

Postby pbove » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Steve Boother wrote:I think that is the VR5 Motion Simulator like they have at BSimRacing.

Yes - Greg Swan has the unit next door so can probably help us organise it. They also have the Ingram set up as a car on the sim.....
pbove

Postby dopdog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:45 pm

pbove wrote:
Steve Boother wrote:I think that is the VR5 Motion Simulator like they have at BSimRacing.

Yes - Greg Swan has the unit next door so can probably help us organise it. They also have the Ingram set up as a car on the sim.....

Lol that's me off the list then, half a lap in and I'm as sick as a pig. I have tried it twice(yes I know) with the same result. If you could organise it within the next few weeks you could also all pop next door and give me a hand with my car as it is in the unit next to the sim :lol:
dopdog

Postby pbove » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm

That’s sorted then, a couple of hours on the sim and then everyone back to your unit for beers and snacks!! :) :)
pbove

Postby GregSwan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:25 am

Hi,

For anyone interested, the race simulator here at Field Farm is designed and run by Jay Walker. You can find out more on his website (jw-rs.co.uk). Apart from the usual sim car models, Jay has worked with Matt Manderson to tune and configure the Sauber and Marrussia TDF-F1 cars Matt was demonstrating at GP events pre-lockdown, as well as an Aston Martin V12 British GT, a Nissan LMP and a couple of Dallara F3s that he's raced or tested on track. A bit more down to earth... we've also configured the Ingham and with Alex's help have refined the model post-Croft. If anyone wants to try it out just get in contact. We've had a couple experiencing motion sickness but it's not common and I think that goes for all types of simulator. This one moves much less than most. We're only a couple of miles away from Bicester Heritage so it might also be a possibility to organise a visit/tour. Same goes for the new Silverstone museum up the road. With a test track also at Bicester Heritage it might be an idea to invite anyone interested in the formula along to meet everyone, try out a car on the sim and perhaps also do a few (gentle!) laps on track in the Ingham, Simon's or Steve's Darvis (or anyone else who might be willing). Anyway, just thinking aloud.

If we want to attract new drivers, I do think between us we've also got to do the legwork at whatever relevant shows/events. Assuming the Ingham looks half decent, I'll do my best to get it on the stand at Race Retro alongside the usual Historics. The three oldest Reliant era cars still running are the Gerrel, Warren and Ingham, all debuting early 1969.

Greg
Last edited by GregSwan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
GregSwan

Postby Steve Boother » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 am

That is perfect, I think we can work with this and make a day of it.

There is nothing stopping us have a post-season outing as well if we have enough interest.
Steve Boother

Next

Return to General