Next gen 750F cars?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Re: Next gen 750F cars?

Postby pbove » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:18 am

It’s tricky but I would think it would include:

Lack of suitable cars
Limited availability of arrive and drive
Insufficient publicity

It’s always going to be difficult as we don’t know who has rejected us and gone elsewhere, however, we could ask drivers what attracted them to the formula and what were the biggest inhibitors that had to be overcome.
pbove

Postby dopdog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 am

is there a lot of interest in arrive and drive then? As newcomer I would be happy to share my thoughts on what attracted me to the formula.

Unfortunatley it is the lack of cars and the publicity but i am sure this can be fixed :shock:

pbove wrote:It’s tricky but I would think it would include:

Lack of suitable cars
Limited availability of arrive and drive
Insufficient publicity

It’s always going to be difficult as we don’t know who has rejected us and gone elsewhere, however, we could ask drivers what attracted them to the formula and what were the biggest inhibitors that had to be overcome.
dopdog

Postby geofff » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 am

Hmmm...… I'm not to sure about lack of publicity, I've known about the 750MC and formula for nearly 30 years. And I came to motorsport late and the first thing I tried was Stock Hatch with the 750MC.

I think the website and various forums are good, not sure about Facebook / Twitter etc... but I don't really use those platforms.

I'm not looking for fame and fortune, just somewhere to race with minimal cost and maximum fun.

Lack of cars is a big one for me, and Racekits are what drew me in.

I think the common parts being produced by Racekits / Carbinium is another good stepping stone for designer / builders.

Not sure about A&D availability though, isn't the minimum the formula wants to attract the likes of the kit builder? If it's all A&D's, hasn't the formula failed?

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby pbove » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:39 am

For me to have failed would be for the formula to wither and die. Our focus therefore, must be to ensure that it is still relevant and appropriate for today's environment. When I started motoring, my car was simple enough to work on myself (which I had to) and, even my first flat had a lockup garage. I remember rading a series of articles in Car and Car Conversions about a rebuild of a 750F car by Terry Grimwood and it sounded like the right formula for me. But at that time (mid 1980s) there was relatively little motorsport in the UK and even less choice.

Move onto today and increasingly, misguided souls are converting their garages to extra rooms, which makes it hard to prepare a race car, while basic mechanical skills are rapidly declining - even garages tend to work as fitters rather than repairing cars.

If I look at the new people that have joined the formula in the last couple of years, we have had as many from Greg's A&D operation than from any other source, so this has to be a positive initiative. We do need to prize cars out of people's garages (including mine!) and back on to the circuit - but I'm not sure how we do this. Meanwhile, Racekits have continued the low volume new car ethos established by Dick Harvey and Mick Harris, without which we would have ceased some time ago.

Personally, I think that the combination of performance, cost and fun is unbeatable and I don't think this is clear outside of the formula, so work is needed to spread the good news story and then to convince people to sell their cars.
pbove

Postby Steve Boother » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:01 pm

I think we do know a few people that have cars tucked away and not used, should we be making contact with them to encourage the owners to consider selling their unused cars so that they can return to where they should be. Tracking down lost cars could also be considered and maybe the forum is the place to start. This has probably been done before but can we start to build a list of known cars and their owners including all of us who have one now, I think we would be surprised by how many there are out there. Whether they are all still suitable for the formula would be a good question though but considering the Darvi is still a competitive car in the right hands anything over the last 30 or so years could be included.

Just thoughts as I read the thread.
Steve Boother

Postby F1300Tony » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 pm

If your name is Cowley that 30 years can be stretched a bit further.
F1300Tony

Postby Steve Boother » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 pm

I can certainly start a list based on the cars I was familiar with back in 1999/2000 which others can slot into the correct places with names as we go. This is just based on my 20 year old knowledge.

Cars with known owners:

Darvi 88/P - Peter Bove
Darvi 597 - Mick Harris
Darvi Mk5/97 - Sue Harris
Darvi Mk5 - Steve Boother
Darvi Mk 4/5 - SB
Darvi 88/2 - Andrew Gent
Darvi Mk5 - Rory Melia
Darvi Mk5/14B - Thomas Driscoll
SS/F - Bob Simpson
Cowley - Bill Cowley
Mystic - Rod Hill
PRS 1b - David Bartholomew
Racekits Falcon - Mark Glover
CGR Evo 2 - Chris Gough
HRD Mk2 - Dave Hodkin
Racekits Falcon - Dan Welsh
Racekits Falcon - Christopher Johnson
Batten 3 - Bill Rutter
Centaur Mk16 - Conway Daw
Sheppard RR-01 - Richard Jenkins
Ingham V3 - Greg Swan
Diet 17 - Paul Morris
SDAR/17 - Dave Robson
Racekits Falcom - Martin Kemp
ADR 1 - Ulric Hilliam
Phoenix Fire Mk2 - Huw Davies
BFS - Tony Brazier
Racekits Falcon - Oliver Collett
GRM750 - Graham Rice

Cars with NOT known owners (have added the last owners that I know of)

Darvi 91D - Dick Harvey
Darvi 92J - Paul Morris
Darvi Mk5 - Darryl Beckwith
ADR - James Hardy
Tristesse Mk7 - Dick Hartle
Centaur Mk16 - Anthony Raine
DNC - Peter Knipe
Gallrd J2 - Manuel Hughes
Wessex Hague - Paul Morris
Hague 76 - John Addy
Kaz 96 - Adrian Daniels
Harrison Mk5 - Huw Davies (scrapped I believe)
Darvi Mk6 Martin Kemp
Darvi Mk5B - Andrew Lake
Hague 80 - Alan Collard
Hart 98 - Mick Burrows
Arcos 9 - Charles Vacy-Ash
GPR (Marrow) - Gethyn Powell
Marrow Mk1 - Dave Heaver
Centaur RWR - Roger Rowe
SDAR/83 - Dave Robson (Currently for sale)
Graham Morris - Reliant Rapide
Centaur Mk16 - Dave Hargrave
CGR1 - Chris Gough
Hague 81 - Ian Turner
Phoenix 799 - John Sleight
Polden - Brian Denniss
ODAC1 - Andrew Johnston
P.C.Special - Dan White (In new hands I believe)
BCR2000 - Bob Couchman
Kaptec KG1 - Mike Chalk
DNC MkIV - Mick Gleadow

I am sure there are drivers that came later for most of these and then changed hands again and a few overlaps where I have listed cars twice with different owners. Plus all the cars that have been since 2000, another 20 years to cover. As a start this is a significant list of cars (62ish) and I think the end result after some more input will be more still.
Steve Boother

Postby Martin Kemp » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 pm

I believe that the guys in the Historic formula hunted down their list of missing cars and persuaded the owners to sell them or race them and that has boosted their numbers back to a healthy level.There are certainly enough car for us to do the same.

They also got some very good publicity when Anthony Reid raced at Anglesey. With my cars back in pristine condition (I hope) I could be willing to lend one of them out for such a purpose.

The heart of the formula is the designer/constructor/racer but there is plenty of room for other ways of going racing and arrive and drive is one of them.
I can't see some Porsche Supercup millionaire coming to us, trashing all the cars and sailing away on his yacht. The likelihood is that they will be jut as careful about repair costs and their own safety as the rest of us. Greg's guys have been fine.
Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Baggers » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 am

Let me have my input as a 'newbie' who's been hovering around the formula for a number of years. Certainly one of the biggest barriers for me was having a house with a garage. It's taken me nigh on 15 years to finally upgrade to one. I'm very thankful to Greg as well with the A&D, which has given me a chance to sample the formula and decide if it was a route I want to go down. We are blessed with a wide range of options racing wise these days, and it really is simpler to just have a tin top that you can work on and park in the drive. It's a major investment in time, space and money to build a 750F. The A&D route is a great option for younger people coming through, in-fact it's often the only option for those that don't have parental support in some form (garage space, time, experience) for people of my generation and younger.

As for getting the younger generation involved and promotion, I would let one of the famous you-tube sim racers have a go in one, maybe a test day or a race. Jimmy Broadbent - I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to have a go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnT7q1AJos

Judging by some of the names that intend to race this year the historic 750F seems to have become a bit of a feeder series for the 750F - that should be encouraged.

I think someone also mentioned engines. How about going down the bike engine route with 600cc engines? They are similar in power, come with gearboxes and carburetors and are incredibly cheap (no-one seems to use them for racing cars these days). When the engine du jour starts getting scarce, it will be a very simple matter to select a newer and more abundant model.
Baggers

Postby Steve Boother » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am

I have started a new thread under General for this list as it was slightly off the topic of next gen 750F cars.

Steve Boother wrote:I can certainly start a list based on the cars I was familiar with back in 1999/2000 which others can slot into the correct places with names as we go. This is just based on my 20 year old knowledge.

Cars with known owners:

Darvi 88/P - Peter Bove
Darvi 597 - Mick Harris
Darvi Mk5/97 - Sue Harris
Darvi Mk5 - Steve Boother
Darvi Mk 4/5 - SB
Darvi 88/2 - Andrew Gent
Darvi Mk5 - Rory Melia
Darvi Mk5/14B - Thomas Driscoll
SS/F - Bob Simpson
Cowley - Bill Cowley
Mystic - Rod Hill
PRS 1b - David Bartholomew
Racekits Falcon - Mark Glover
CGR Evo 2 - Chris Gough
HRD Mk2 - Dave Hodkin
Racekits Falcon - Dan Welsh
Racekits Falcon - Christopher Johnson
Batten 3 - Bill Rutter
Centaur Mk16 - Conway Daw
Sheppard RR-01 - Richard Jenkins
Ingham V3 - Greg Swan
Diet 17 - Paul Morris
SDAR/17 - Dave Robson
Racekits Falcom - Martin Kemp
ADR 1 - Ulric Hilliam
Phoenix Fire Mk2 - Huw Davies
BFS - Tony Brazier
Racekits Falcon - Oliver Collett
GRM750 - Graham Rice

Cars with NOT known owners (have added the last owners that I know of)

Darvi 91D - Dick Harvey
Darvi 92J - Paul Morris
Darvi Mk5 - Darryl Beckwith
ADR - James Hardy
Tristesse Mk7 - Dick Hartle
Centaur Mk16 - Anthony Raine
DNC - Peter Knipe
Gallrd J2 - Manuel Hughes
Wessex Hague - Paul Morris
Hague 76 - John Addy
Kaz 96 - Adrian Daniels
Harrison Mk5 - Huw Davies (scrapped I believe)
Darvi Mk6 Martin Kemp
Darvi Mk5B - Andrew Lake
Hague 80 - Alan Collard
Hart 98 - Mick Burrows
Arcos 9 - Charles Vacy-Ash
GPR (Marrow) - Gethyn Powell
Marrow Mk1 - Dave Heaver
Centaur RWR - Roger Rowe
SDAR/83 - Dave Robson (Currently for sale)
Graham Morris - Reliant Rapide
Centaur Mk16 - Dave Hargrave
CGR1 - Chris Gough
Hague 81 - Ian Turner
Phoenix 799 - John Sleight
Polden - Brian Denniss
ODAC1 - Andrew Johnston
P.C.Special - Dan White (In new hands I believe)
BCR2000 - Bob Couchman
Kaptec KG1 - Mike Chalk
DNC MkIV - Mick Gleadow

I am sure there are drivers that came later for most of these and then changed hands again and a few overlaps where I have listed cars twice with different owners. Plus all the cars that have been since 2000, another 20 years to cover. As a start this is a significant list of cars (62ish) and I think the end result after some more input will be more still.
Steve Boother

PreviousNext

Return to General