The Art of the Raised Hand

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

The Art of the Raised Hand

Postby suebmick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am

Since I was in my early 20's I have been lucky in my racing life to have some world class drivers as instructors. While they may have not got me as fast as some "naturals" that I now race with (as my GoPro now shows!), they taught me some things that have stood me in good stead over the years. Not only cornering, tactics etc etc, but all the other things that keep you, & others out on track with you, safe.

One of those things, that seem to have bypassed many these days, is the art of the raised hand. I am not trying to teach any Grannies to suck eggs, but.....

We all know the panic scenario. On track somewhere & the car fails. Hand up. As far as you can go. PLEASE don't go into the back of me. I am in trouble. I am praying you've seen my hand. And if you make it to the pits or off at the side of the track, your hand should have been up all the way.

Red flag. Pretty much as above.

But there are other times when the raised hand is not only necessary, but safe & responsible.

On the slowing down lap after the chequered, aiming to come in to the pits. Hand up. Drive one-handed if you can & keep it up until you're in. You never know who hasn't seen the chequered & is coming up behind you. And the marshalls know where you're going.

And this is the difficult one to master. And often one of the most important times to raise your hand.
When the leaders are overtaking you as a slower car during a race.
Believe me, I have had ample opportunity to practise it over the years. You think you're going fast. Or you would be going faster! But the leaders are closing on you. And they're closing faster than you thought possible. (How do they DO that?!). Hold your line, because if you move to get out of their way you will confuse them no end & all Hell can then be let loose, but work out where is the best place for you to stay, & the best place for them to go & WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO GO. And then raise your hand on the side you want them to go & wave them through. You then know they THEY know where you're going to stay & where they can go at speed, safely. They know you've seen them. You know where they're going to go. Now get lost off into the distance please & let me get on with my own, albeit slower, race. Happy days.

As I've got a bit quicker over the years I've had fewer people passing me like flashes of bloody lightning, & I've had more instances when I've had to do the passing. Not knowing if someone has seen you or not is not a good feeling & the decision you make to overtake is not only a split-second one, but potentially dangerous to both cars. The relief when a hand goes up & waves you through is wonderful. And safe. And you both probably finish the race. Intact.

This last one takes some practice. It takes some thought, WHILE you're trying to do your own race, it's complicated sometimes & it involves much use of the mirrors & some quick calculations. It isn't easy....it may look like it from a spectator's point of view, but it isn't when you're out there doing your best & you've got everything else to think about. But it makes for SAFER & more RESPONSIBLE racers & a lot less work to do when you get home.

Mick has just pointed out to me that I have always been one of the few drivers to implement this, & over the last few years the "pass me hand" has all but disappeared from our races. It's time to get this safety action implemented throughout the field again. For those of you who are faster than others, don't forget that the slower bods are trying their best, and trying to do what's right, but they may not have seen you coming.

On that thought, I'll go in the garage today & see what His Lordship's done to my car as the GoPro shows his somewhat more "kerby" use of the track than the poor old girl is used to!

Stay safe out there Boys & Girls

Sue
suebmick

Re: The Art of the Raised Hand

Postby suebmick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 am

As an edit to this, having watched a few GoPro versions of the races at donington, there IS a new driver who raises his hand for the lightning streakers….well done you. You know who you are.
That makes 2 of us
Sue
Last edited by suebmick on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suebmick

Postby pbove » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:28 am

Mr Robson did for me......
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am

I generally point to the side I want people to pass - assuming I do want them to want them pass.

In my early races you couldn't have prised my fingers off the steering wheel with a crowbar so we need to allow novices time to gain experience.

I raced with the Historics for a couple of seasons and some of the cars are very slow and very vulnerable so if you had to give up a good lead to get by safely then that was just bad luck. We all pay the same to use the track and an experienced driver with a car in front is a better position to take appropriate action than a novice with a car behind.
I always give a cheery wave when a slower car moves over for me, but it turned out some people thought I was shaking my fist at them,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby suebmick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I am begging your pardons, then. That's a few of us that do it.
Doubt Mr Robson has had to do it for many years, but seems to be getting a bit of practice this year with all his woes. For me, it's been a well practised art for 20-odd years, but recently there have been occaisions where the "faster" cars have seen my hand, tried to overtake at an appropriate moment, but hadn't got the oomph to pass me until I backed right off to let them go! Ha!
suebmick

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Perhaps you could speak to your husband, I was behind him for most race 2 and he never waved me through once.
I think you must have a better right foot than him because in the end I passed him on the straight - or do you pull one of the spark leads off when he is driving.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby suebmick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Ha!
Unfortunately the team manager thought the current 2-year old tyres would last her the season. But then His Lordship got in & got race-brain back.
suebmick

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I thought the Darvi was uncharacteristically squirrelly. Still it is not really worthwhile to get new tyres just for Oulton is it,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Maybe a dose of second hand ones.......
pbove

Postby suebmick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am

Martin Kemp wrote:I thought the Darvi was uncharacteristically squirrelly. Still it is not really worthwhile to get new tyres just for Oulton is it,

Martin

Ha ha...…………….wait & see...…………..
suebmick

Next

Return to General