when were sidepods first fitted?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

when were sidepods first fitted?

Postby LyndonH750F » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:58 am

Hello everyone

I wondered if anyone can tell me when sidepods were first fitted onto 750F cars? From what I can tell after 74, but I'm not sure on the specific year.

Thanks
Lynon
LyndonH750F

Re: when were sidepods first fitted?

Postby pbove » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi Lyndon,

It is a tricky one and depends on your definition of "sidepod". There were fully enclosed cars early on and many of the open wheel cars had bodywork stretching out to the outer edges of the rear wheels. In terms of sidepods as we know them today, possibly Dick and Mick led the way with the Mk5 - in 1978.... but I'm willing to be proved wrong!
pbove

Postby F1300Tony » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 pm

In the December '83 copy of a magazine called Sports Car Mechanics there was an article about Dick Harvey and the tuning of Reliant engines in which there is a photo of one Darvi with sidepods and all the other cars without.
In Clubmans the Mallock Mk18 came about for the '76 season with sidepods, but the '75 Mk16 did not.
F1300Tony

Postby LyndonH750F » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:16 pm

Fantastic, thank you both for your replies.

We're trying to ensure our cars are compliant to a pre-74 design, so this information is really useful. Even more so that you've been able to recall specific cars. :D You both confirm what I expected, no sidepods pre-74, noting cars may have been getting a little fatter prior to this, but without a 'sidepod' as such.

Cheers
Lyndon
LyndonH750F

Postby mysticrod » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:22 pm

I think your forgetting Nigel Cowley car built in 1968 looks like it had side pods to me.
mysticrod

Postby Baggers » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:30 am

In that same vein then so would the Ingham.
Baggers

Postby Martin Kemp » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:10 am

One of the more dangerous situations in racing is when cars interlock wheels. All the more so if one of the cars has larger diameter wheels and a high centre of gravity - like a an Austin 7. So would encourage historic class C cars to use side pods if at all possible, on safety grounds to help protect the more vulnerable Austin 7 racers,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 am

Yes, I agree - sidepods definitely make the racing safer - also, as can be seen above, there is no definition of what a sidepod is...... if it is it part of the normal bodywork (i.e. an all enclosing design) does that count? If the bodywork expands from the front to the width of the back wheels (al la the Ingham) does that count? Quite tricky really!
pbove

Postby LyndonH750F » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi

Martin - I agree that there is a safety implication of not allowing them. They also do provide some limited protection to a side impact. Equally, we haven't had them fitted to cars in the paddock for many years. The A7 guys take much higher risks running without harness, HANS or ROPS. Thankfully we're not running at very high speeds which helps. We're fortunate to generally have 'gentlemenly racing' which hopefully will continue although shouldn't be relied upon.

Agree with the remaining posts as well. A definition is very difficult to create. There are of course cars which extend out between the wheels, but as part of the main body design - oppose to a 'bolt on' sidepod. It's is a tricky area to fatham out!
LyndonH750F

Return to General