Hello, newbie on board!

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

Hello, newbie on board!

Postby Lord Steve » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Good evening everyone and please excuse the rather pretentious title - it's the name I was christened with on Maison Blanche at Le Mans and the one I use on www.clubarnage.com. After many years as a spectator I've decided that whilst the World Championship is (probably) beyond me due to lack ability and advancing years I would like to give circuit racing a go. Having read all about the 750 Formula and browsed through the posts on this forum it isn't difficult to conclude that this is a formula made up of friendly, helpful people.
So, I'm in!
Had a look at www.racekits.co.uk so I've an idea of what my investment is going to be. I've built a Tiger Super 6 before so I have a pretty good idea what goes into a car build. I'm just looking to start at the bottom and take any advice that you may be kind enough to throw in my direction.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve
Lord Steve

Re: Hello, newbie on board!

Postby will » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Welcome Steve,

It'll be a bit quiet here until they've all finished thrashing round Mallory tomorrow. I'm not racing at the moment and the TV was really dull, and there was your post.

Are you intending to build your car from scratch or buy a project? I borrowed a car for my first race ten years ago and was so badly bitten that I immediately started looking for a car of my own. I really liked the idea of building one but I absolutely knew I could not wait that long. I found a potentially good car of a design that had won races, unfortunately it had the wrong engine. I went down a couple of blind alleys with eligible 750s then ended up buying the one with the wrong engine. I raced it in another club a few times and decided to put the correct engine in to make it a 750 Formula.

Took me a lot of work to change the engine - turned out the car needed an extensive rebuild and that's what it got, but it took 10 months of hard work to get it done. Probably about as much work as buying a project - except I paid a lot more than a 'project' price.

So the easiest and probably the most cost effective way is to buy a complete running and competitive car. These do not come up very often. If you are lucky enough to find one which is truly competitive just make sure you fit in it.

You could see what Martin at Racekits has to offer. Presumably you want to do the assembly with your Tiger building experience? I am not sure if Martin's kits require a donor car.

You could get a project car. They tend to need a lot more work than is obvious at first. If it is a 750 Formula design but with the old Reliant engine, then the engine swap is relatively straightforward, providing you have done a fair bit of car building. But they will almost certainly be other things to do to make the car right for you.

The hardest option (but probably the most rewarding) is to build from scratch. The work involved in designing and making everything is huge and you need to be able to skive off work a lot to do the build in a sensible time-frame. There are several people out there still plugging away and will no doubt be racing with us soon. Some of the builds are featured on the forum and the ones that have appeared on the track are of a high standard.

One of the things we have found since the Fiat engine was brought in is that the engines can (if properly fed and watered) go several seasons without a rebuild. It is also genuinely possible to take an engine out of a road car and put it in the race car and race without paying a professional engine builder for his services. You do need to put better inlet and exhaust manifolds on, raise the compression, and of course, fit the correct camshaft. There are a few other mods which you have probably read about on the forum.

Will
will

Postby Lord Steve » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:41 am

Hi Will and thanks for the very helpful reply.
My plan was to spread the cost of entry rather than buy a running or project car and I was looking to buy, re-build and refurbish the complete drive train over the winter months. I can't have my socket set sitting idle much longer!

There's an excellent breakers yard, Doncaster Motor Spares, local to me and they have any number of Secientos in stock to break.

Would it be possible to buy an engine, gearbox, propshaft and rear axle from the car and, with modifications, mount it all in the racekits chassis or am I over-simplifying things?

Steve
Lord Steve

Postby will » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Steve,
I think that is what the makers of the revision to the rules had in mind with the plan to allow the Fiat transaxle layout. There were some strict limits placed on what could be done. I am not familiar with the details so someone else will need to elaborate for you.

As for something to fit your refurbished Fiat drive train into you had best contact Martin (unless he sees this and replies).

Will
will

Postby Martin Kemp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:52 am

Yes I am doing a new kit, but I haven't announced it officially yet because it hasn't been run.

It uses the FIAT Seicento engine, gearbox and driveshafts and loads of other bits as well.
Basically I am intending to produce the parts for a rolling chassis and the bodywork.

The kit costs are likely to be the same as shown on the website but the other costs should be easier to keep down because of the single source donor.
It will be much easier to build.

Rod Hill is building his own transverse engined car and the build of this is being serialised in Race Tech magazine.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby rockers73 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 am

Hi there

Im a newbie and been sniffing round this site for a few months.

I'm also thinking about getting a car, I'm interested in what you got to offer on your website Martin, when do you think the transverse car will be available in kit form?

Thanks

Jayson
rockers73

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Hello Jayson,

I am planning to complete the design before Christmas and run the first car next season. Then the truth will out !
Like the original kit you can use all the bits or just the ones that you can't make yourself.

I am not showing it on the website yet because I want to be sure that I can meet my objectives for weight and weight distribution (and cost) before trying to part anyone with their money.

If you PM your e-mail address to me I can send you some photos of the latest state of development.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby rockers73 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Martin thanks for the reply. Ive sent you a PM.

Jayson
rockers73

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula