new and ambitious

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

new and ambitious

Postby kwik » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:39 pm

hi everyone.

quick introduction, my real name is chris, im 17 and live in south east london (quite near brands hatch) im hopeing to work in motorsport after university, and though experiance will be extremely valuble. my hobbies include radio controlled cars, which i have been doing for years, and have designd a 200mph hybrid rocket car, and raced them at club level. the rocket i designd currently holds the world land speed record for cars at 163mph, but has potential to go alot faster, as it only used 1/4 throttle. though i didnt make the car as it was too expensive for me, i can take pride in designing the rocket etc.

i have given myself until next year to design and make the 750f car, as i will save money. im going to hopefully get as much money as i can over the year to pay for it, and equiptment ill need, as well as raceing liscence, helmet etc.

as im only 17 (first year of 6th form) and dont even have a driving liscence yet (test on the 25th of feb) and i have another project on the go, restoring a austin mini from 1990, i wil be tight on cash, but i can find a way to pay for it, sell a lung or something...

raceing wise, i havent done alot (apart from a radio controlled car) but everytime i have sat in a go-kart i dont do to badly, but that doesnt say too much raceing against 14 year olds in less powerfull karts :P

so thats me, i hope to learn alot about motorsport and how its run and how cars are made/designd. and i hope to be borrowing a few of your ideas for my own :P

thanks for reading all that, hope your not asleep already
chris
kwik

Re: new and ambitious

Postby pbove » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Chris and welcome!

Sounds like you have some interesting experience and exciting plans - let us know if there is any help that you need.
I'm sure the "Kent Crew" will introduce themselves before long.........

Cheers

Peter
pbove

Postby kwik » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm

thanks peter

this is the rocket car i designed, its all designed on solidworks (3D software package)

http://www.black-diamond-rc.blogspot.com/

it says on the about me bit im 16, but it was made last year, so its a bit out of date :P the bottom of the page is the start, and the top is the end of it.

im still learning on solidworks, and the main reason for it is so i dont waste money building the chassis wrong 8 times, and i could use a more extragavant, unusual design. and im sure theres a feture on there to show what parts are under how much stress etc, which could also help if i learn how to use it :P

thanks for the warm welcome
chris
kwik

Postby pbove » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Blimey, that's fairly impressive - even if you weren't only 16...... shouldn't you be out stealing cars or something? :D

Seriously, I hope that you're able to put your design skills to good use. PM me if you want to look at a car or chat.

P
pbove

Postby Dave Heaver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:14 am

Hi Chris and welcome,

I'm one of the "Kent Crew" that Peter mentioned and possibly the closest to where you live. I'm about 3 miles from the paddock gate at Brands. There are two more within 5 miles of me and a couple down so far down in the nether regions of Kent they are almost French! :shock: Three of them built their own cars so will be a great local source of knowledge for you, and whatever they don't know about the formula, the other one does!

Seeing your designs I don't think there will be much I can help you with on that front, my car is the oldest still racing in the formula having first raced in 1969! But you are welcome to take a look at the car and see how things have changed, and to any knowledge I have, if not on the technical side then at least with getting yourself on the track. It can all seem a bit daunting when you start.

PM me if you want to have a chat any time.

Cheers
Dave
Better to be a racer for a moment in time than a spectator all your life...
Dave Heaver

Postby kwik » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:25 pm

thanks again guys

things i will need to know before designing would be the size of the bars you use to make the chassis (as in width and thickness) then i can get started on the chassis...
and also roughly the width and length of the car overall... so inclusive of wheels

appart from that, i think im ready to do the first drawings on CAD, i have a design in my head already, so it shouldnt be too long to design it...

thanks
chris
kwik

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Hello Chris,

I started by drawing racing cars on the back of my exercise books (no computers then). Little did I realise that only 45 years later I would be designing real ones. Little did anyone else realise, because my teachers called it aimless doodling.
"You are only fit to push a barrow in the market" said my headmaster.

Your efforts look a lot more promising , so lets hope you can get get racing a bit quicker. If you go to my website www.racekits.co.uk you will see some photographs of my development of the Darvi chassis. This is made with 1 inch x1 inch square box section with 16 SWG(1.6mm) thick walls.
This will give you an idea of the sort of construction required and you can develop your ideas from there.

A book you might find useful on the principles of chassis and suspension design is "The Race Car Chassis" by a guy called Forbes Aird published by HP books.
I am not one of the Kent crew but I was born within earshot of Brands Hatch.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Drutt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:27 am

Hi there,

Good to see some younger interest in the formula. I thought I was going to be the youngest but I'm well old compared to you. I'm sort of Kent crew but live in Cambridge now.

Like you I have many designs floating about but could never decide which one to actually make so ended up with the ADR! Trouble is its too easy in 3D CAD to create a chassis and body etc.

I used to use Solid (doesn't)Works until I got a job through Autodesk due to my LMP design and now use Inventor, which has a frame generator so a chassis is 5mins work hence the problem of which one to actually build.

The tricky part is calculating the best suspension geometry for your needs and then spreading those loads through a chassis that you can actually get into. Crack that and your sorted, there are plenty of books and images to guide you along the way though as Martin has mentioned so best of luck and let me know if you want to see anything or ask anything.
Drutt

Postby kwik » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm

i made a quick mock up chassis last night whilst i was bored on solid (does) work :P
the thing with solidworks that people dont like the most i think is the graphical interface of it, like when the new microsoft office came out people didnt change as everythign was in a different place. i guess its the same if your changeing from one 3D package to another. but the only 3D package i can use is solidworks because of its interface, its how i like it.

also arn't ADR chassis realy expensive (good by the looks of it though) iv been peeking around these sites recently including the racekits one.

there is a feature on it where you can draw a 3D sketch, and turn the lines into steel beams etc, its how i made the mock up chassis last night.

(print screen image here)

photobucket isnt working for me... ill upload it when it decides to work :P

i'll try and get my hands on those books you mentioned. the way i normally do projects, ill design it 100% then realise i can't actually make it. i will need to learn to weld aswell, and weld well as ill be driving the car.

thanks again
chris
kwik

Postby Drutt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Can be expensive yes, but i manages to do a deal which included a load of 'surplus to ADR's requirements' parts from previous models which just happened to be exactly what I needed for mine.

I think i spent about the same as my brother did building his from scratch but mine took less then a year opposed to his 3 years or so. I decided i wanted to be on tack in my own car asap not in a few years. I do still want to do my own some time but we will see how the ADR gets on.

Body work can be very tricky and expensive but it depends if you want a pretty or functional car.

Good luck and have fun.
Drutt

Next

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula