Recommended Reading

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

Recommended Reading

Postby marrow3 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 pm

I thought I would start a new topic to help anyone new to our sport to gain as much info on designing, building, racing, set-up and 'tuning' a 750 car from the ''comfort of their chair or bed''.

The first and a 'must' to have is the 750 Racer by Peter Herbert in association with Dick Harvey. (1996, ISBN 1 85260 447 6, Published by Patrick Stephens Ltd).

Now unfortunately out off print but they do come up for sale on various internet sites and at some decent prices (£26) but also some at silly money (£160). Be patient and one will come along at the right price. (It was £17.99 new)

It covers the History of the SEVEN FIFTY sport, an introduction to Dick Harvey and the tremendous effect he has had on the sport, the various cars over the years and their drivers. Then comes the various layouts of the cars and the pro's and con's of each design, suspension layouts and axle types and modifications and Body shapes.

Then we get into the various requirements of getting started in building the cars, construction,welding,wishbones,panelling and body making. A definite hands on approach.

Making the Robin Fly is next which is a technical know-how on checking,tuning and putting together the Reliant engine. Now unfortunately not fully applicable to the current engines running but still useful for the lubrication and blueprinting of a racing engine.( I still refer to this chapter more than any other). Next couple of chapters covers the ancillaries but most important bits needed, brakes, steering, instruments, cockpit items, dampers and rollover bars. Rules and regs are also included.

Finally there are the chapters which will encourage you to get out there and feel the experience of racing your own car and how it will effect your life forever. (This bit I have yet to achieve as I am still in the garage after 4 years)

Overall a great book written about our formula and bringing it to a wider audience and so keeping it going for years to come.
marrow3

Re: Recommended Reading

Postby Edward Minchinton » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Edward Minchinton

Postby marrow3 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 pm

THE RACING MOTORCYCLE (A technical guide for constructors Vol 2)

Author John Bradley
Published 2003, ISBN 0 9512929 3 5
Broadland Leisure Publications

You may well wonder why I have included a book on two wheel racing :? Well Volume One of this series of books covers the design and tuning (chassis,suspension etc) of racing motorcycles which is not of much use to our formula but good reading anyway if interested in bike racing but this 'Volume Two' covers the actual materials and construction techniques which are as much applicable to our cars as motorcycles.

The chapters cover the following:-

OVERVIEW
Introduction
Getting Started
Strength and stiffness
Materials terminology

MAKING A STEEL CHASSIS
Introduction to steel
Steel tube (Up to date steel designations and where to get it)
Steel for spindles and fitments (I didn't know there where so many types and when to use them)
Bending and preparing tube (this includes a great website [tonyfoale.com] where you can download a program which produces templates for mating tubes at various angles, a 'must' for wishbone and chassis construction).
Gas welding notes (The best info I have ever read)
Making a steel frame (Superb info)

ALUMINIUM ALLOY FABRICATIONS
Aluminium alloys (So many types but includes updated codes so you can look good when ordering ali)
Alloy selection (Great info)
Non structural fabrications
Structural fabrications
Anodising and other finishes

MAKING EXHAUSTS
Exhaust overview
Making simple exhausts
More difficult exhausts

OTHER MATERIALS
Aluminium casting alloys
Magnesium alloys
Titanium alloys
Fibre reinforced plastics
Other Materials

REDUCING STRUCTURAL FAILURES
Stress concentration and related issuses
Minimising fatigue failures

STRUCTURAL STIFFNESS
Introduction to stiffness
measuring stiffness
Stiffness, size ans section

At each stage of the book the Author includes loads of names and addresses of suppliers of materials in the UK and beyond.
Loads of pictures and drawings, all well explained.

Guaranteed reading, (MY BIBLE for anything Metal fabrication)You will never put this book back onto the shelf but keep it at hand at all times.
marrow3

Postby NDH » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Just found this "The 750 Formula Bible" on e-bay, item no. 300488333465. Good reading for all our newbies!

Nigel
750F Racing - a great way to spend the kids inheritance!
NDH

Postby simdel1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm glad I bought "750 Racer" when I did! I got it when I was 15, but over 10 years later I still have that same feeling when I thumb through it. One day I'll move my car from the drawing board. One day...

Another refernence I've found useful is 'Chassis engineering' by Herb Adams. I suspect this has been long out of print now, but it is quite a useful book. It is a bit 'american' though with imperial units and semi ladder-frame chassis. It has been very good at showing me how to calculate roll centers and things like that though. I suspect there are far better books about nowadays.
simdel1

Postby Martin Kemp » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Chassis Engineering is still available as a paperback from HP Books.
Its American focus is quite useful because it covers live rear axles which is helpful for 750 racers. However his comments on De Dion rear axles are not really correct. They were commonly used foor front-engined Grand Prix cars in preference to live axles or independent suspension. Nobody says a Maserati 250F can't go round corners. Nowadys with modern driveshafts De Dion tubes are worth reconsidering.

Another book from HP Books worth looking at, especially for the non-engineer, is The Race Car Chassis by Forbes Aird. It gives more advice on space frame design,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula