I'm looking for Advice on buying a helmet and Nomex suits

I already under stand the Best you can afford , as it's to protect my skin,

is it worth waiting till the autosport show to get more bangs for my buck , or

Demont tweeks bargin Bacement or ??

Andy
Pyro60

Re: Advice on helmets and suits

Postby will » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Don't buy a suit that is a very close fit........and then put on a stone (or so) as it makes the suit hellish to get into and out of. Of course if you're built like a jockey......you won't be welcome! (only kidding).

Two layer nomex seems to be the standard - you can always add another layer with nomex nancy-pants and tee shirt if you're expecting a fuel fire.

Personally I like Bert Munro's fireproof New Zealand lambswool shirt idea! Must give the nitro-glycerine tabs a try too.

I don't think there is overwhelming evidence that really expensive helmets (£600+) are better than normally priced ones (£200- 400) at saving your head - but they are generally lighter. In a two hour race this could be fairly important but in a 15 minute one I don't think it matters much.

Apart from comfort /fit the next most vital things are air flow and anti-misting properties (double visor availability) for the wet weather. I couldn't see a thing in my first properly wet race as the visor was completely misted - except when I held my breath, but I found the lack of oxygen disconcerting. With a double visor (thanks for the tip Rod) I could really see just how much faster everyone else was. I still couldn't see the car in front because of the spray but as someone pointed out, when you can see the car in front it's because it's spinning and you're probably about to hit it!

It also helps if the strap is easy to do up in a panic!

Will
will

Postby max » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:08 am

Whats a double visor? I have heard of tear offs, I am intrigued.

Problem is the visors normally snap shut and seal off all air flow, the next nodge up is half open so I use a bit of rubber hose (or rolled up tank tape etc...) taped just at the front of the visor aperture to hold open the visor a crack and get air behind it for demisting. I have never had a problem with misting using this method (except for in the snow). That allied with a treatment of Rain X and away you go(again except if it snows).

Max
MS750/01
max

Postby DMB » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:54 am

A "double visor" has double glazing. It works as you'd expect.
DMB

Postby Ian Allen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:51 am

Does it include free fitting............trust me its free fitting !

( annoying advert for those living in the Midlands and North)
Ian Allen

Postby DMB » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 pm

I say, BOGOF...
DMB

Postby Ian Allen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Thats him..
Ian Allen

Postby pbove » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:53 pm

Is there a translation available for us Sotherners? :tongue:

P
pbove

Postby suebmick » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 pm

pbove wrote:Is there a translation available for us Sotherners? :tongue:

P

Not a clue what these up-country people are talking about, but BOGOF is Buy One Get One Free...I spend my life at Tesco!
Sue
suebmick

Postby suebmick » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Pyro60 wrote:HI All

I'm looking for Advice on buying a helmet and Nomex suits

I already under stand the Best you can afford , as it's to protect my skin,

is it worth waiting till the autosport show to get more bangs for my buck , or

Demont tweeks bargin Bacement or ??

Andy

Advice from GPR when I first bought mine....
Buy what you're comfortable in
Make sure you can sit down & reach forward in your suit without crying, & make sure you need 2 hands to get the helmet on & that when you bend down to touch your toes the helmet does not move at all, even without the chin strap done up. You must be able to move your head quite violently without the helmet moving on your head. Ensure there are good shoulder straps on the suit to enable someone to pull you out of your car & make sure the laces on your boots are done up horizontally across the foot & not criss cross/trainer-style, so that if anyone has to cut your boots off they can run a knife straight up the laces.
Make sure you can fully flex your ankles in your boots...high-ankle ones can be uncomfortable if you have limited leg-length room in your car.
Full arm & leg length fireproof undies are safest, & balaclavas with seams give your face dents so go for the seamless ones!
Your name & blood group should be embroidered on the suit either on the chest or belt (but it's not mandatory)

Do all that & then forget the "why", otherwise you might think motor racing is a dangerous sport!

Sue
suebmick

Next

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula