Where do I begin?

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby suebmick » Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Come & find me & Mick at Mallory (red van & purple Darvi no27)...just not 1/2hour before practice or race. You're more than welcome to nose about in the Darvi for ideas & Mick's built several cars with the reknowned Dick Harvey, & won the Championship ten times so his designs can't be bad. He'd be more than happy to talk to you
Sue Harris

Oh, & by the way...in answer to your question on where to begin.....you already have!
suebmick

Postby pbove » Wed May 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Yes it is right - you might want to run it the other way up though otherwise you'll have 4 reverse gears and one forward one! I would also look for a 4.2 diff if the axle hasn't already got that ratio as most people seem to run a 4.2 these days.
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 pm

We will have the Merlin and the Falcon at Mallory so you are welcome to look them over, especially if you are interested in pushing them uphill.
The scrutineering bay is a good place to view the cars because they will all be there , the bodywork will be off, and the drivers will be standing around waiting so it is a chance to introduce yourself.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby classictinker » Thu May 10, 2018 12:15 pm

I was looking through the forum yesterday and noticed mention of Triumph herald and Vitesse front uprights being used in the past. Is this still an option as my little GT6 is sat in the garage. If the front end suspension geometry is acceptable as a starting point it would make life much easier as I can just go and measure it all up. For those that aren't aware the GT6 and Vitesse share a common chassis with only minor alterations made to the Vitesse version. Actually now that I think of it I also have a set of lightweight Compromotive racing rims that are a 4 stud Triumph pattern although they may be too wide.
classictinker

Postby classictinker » Thu May 10, 2018 12:25 pm

I readly must remember to reload the page after it's been left open overnight before I reply lol.

suebmick That's a great offer many thanks I'll be sure to come and say Hello.

pbove Thanks I'll keep an eye out for a 4.2 diff. 4 reverse gears may not be such a bad thing for the first few years as it will get the "being lapped" part of the race over sooner :)

Martin Kemp Scrutineering sounds like a great time to see the cars and also the scrutineering process, what time does it happen?
classictinker

Postby pbove » Thu May 10, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm also happy to let you have a nose around my Darvi.

Triumph uprights are still being used today and if they were good enough for some of Mr Chapman's F1 case then they can't be too bad! So by all means copy the Vitesse front suspension, but I'd steer clear of the rear! There are a lot of Triumph parts being manufactured and there are also hubs available with 4" pcd to match the BMC rear axle which makes wheels a bit easier. Wheel rim widths tend to go from 6" up to 8" and anything in between, so you may be lucky with the Vitesse wheels.

Be good to see you at Mallory.
pbove

Postby classictinker » Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 pm

pbove wrote:I'm also happy to let you have a nose around my Darvi.

Triumph uprights are still being used today and if they were good enough for some of Mr Chapman's F1 case then they can't be too bad! So by all means copy the Vitesse front suspension, but I'd steer clear of the rear! There are a lot of Triumph parts being manufactured and there are also hubs available with 4" pcd to match the BMC rear axle which makes wheels a bit easier. Wheel rim widths tend to go from 6" up to 8" and anything in between, so you may be lucky with the Vitesse wheels.

Be good to see you at Mallory.

Many thanks I can't wait to see you all :) I've been looking at the racing aspirations website and it looks like a very useful site so I think I'm going to get a monthly subscription :) I've just checked the wheels and they are 8x13 x 8mm positive offset so maybe only useful on the rear??? I also have a set of Cortina uprights, are they of any use or should I stick with the triumph? I know what you mean about the rear end of the Triumph with the swing axle type set-up, mine is a mk3 so not too bad but still has turn in oversteer if you push it hard enough...lot's of fun though :)

I'm slowly growing in confidence and am looking forward to check out all your cars so I get get on with the planning and design phase...even the wife is keen to help :)

Rich
classictinker

Postby pbove » Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 pm

The Triumph uprights have the advantage of being lighter - Martin uses them on the Merlin I believe so he should be able to provide some insight. The 8" rims will be fine for the rear - or would be if they were a 4" pcd........ which I suspect they might not be. You do still see some Revolutions on eBay from time to time, so that might be worth exploring or Dynamic and Compomotive make wheels that fit - I've got Dynamics on my car, Martin has Compos on his. Mike Barnby makes very nice 3 piece wheels, but they are quite pricy and you have to beg him to make them for you.
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm

I do use Triumph uprights on the Merlin. I replace the Triumph swivel bearings with race spherical bearings and make the geometry more suitable by adding an extension at the top and machining down the thread at the bottom. This is handy because it means old knackered uprights can be re-used.

I have found that a LH drive mini 2.2:1 quick rack with the Triumph steering arms gives a good steering ratio. It all works out quite neatly.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 am

pbove wrote:You do still see some Revolutions on eBay from time to time, so that might be worth exploring or Dynamic and Compomotive make wheels that fit -

I've a set of 4+1 revolutions surplus to requirements in good nick - can bring one to Mallory if you want to measure one up for suitability. Happy to let them go to a 750'er for a sensible price rather than ebay them.
I'll be up there collecting an exhaust off Sue / supporting some of the cars so will have plenty of time to talk car construction - i'm currently in the middle of converting an ADR1000 to 750 spec, having raced a different ADR last year.
Jimbob

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula