Does budget affect race performance?

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

Re: Does budget affect race performance?

Postby AndrewD » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:24 pm

When do you need the details by? Give me a poke next time I'm online and I'll see if I can get some further details to you :)
Food costs can be saved by finishing ahead of Andrew and getting to the sponsors buffet first
AndrewD

Postby denis costain » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:50 pm

ASAP really, I am doing the typical student thing of leaving the work till the last minute again. LOL. Ill give you a heads up next time I see you online.

Denis
denis costain

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 pm

I have put these figures together quickly. So they are estimates based on memory and something else.
They represent average costs per season for a 10 year racing career.

Tool Kit £100
Accident repairs £300
Replacement Parts £250
Development Parts £300
Racecar Fuel £120
Towcar Fuel (20mpg) £500
Slicks (2 years) £200
Wets (7 years) £60
Race Clothing £100
Extra food costs £280
Total £2210

To this you need to add the cost of the racecar itself, the cost of the towcar if it is not your normal car and any accomodation costs.
You can improve competitiveness by doubling your expenditure on tyres and tripling your development budget - beyond that I think you would get little return for your money. You could also manage quite adequately on half that budget.

The accident repair figure would cover a very unlucky driver or professional repairs.

Towcar and accomodation costs can be cut by using an old diesel Astra which can easily pull 750 car and sleeping in it.
Living in the Midlands would also save a lot of fuel.

Food costs can be saved by finishing ahead of Andrew and getting to the sponsors buffet first.

If I have missed out something I am sure someone can add it in,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Ian Allen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:26 am

Thats a pretty good estimate I'd say. It allso depends how aggresively you drive or compete, if you drive hard off the line for the first corner you have a fair chance of damage over a full season, wiser drivers than me hold back a bit then go for it after the mahem. I think Martins estimate is for a driver that wants to drive to his limit ( or is there more to come Martin ?). It is possible to drive well in with the middle of pack and keep yourself out of trouble which often ends up with a good result as others falter. You could add this into the equation, it is a factor with team budgets they have to calculate the budget they have against the chances of damage when the driver really pushes and this is often the deciding factor on the driver they choose. Unless the driver brings his own budget , then thats a different thing, you can always find someone to spend your money for you in racing.

Ian
Ian Allen

Postby Brian De Vie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:23 am

Ian Allen wrote: you can always find someone to spend your money for you in racing.

Ian

Just send your money donations/cheques made out to 'Brian', and I'll prove this is so. 8-)
[Food donations to Andrew :lol: ]
TARANIS - the God of the Wheel
Brian De Vie

Postby Martin Kemp » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 pm

The worst place to start is the 3rd and 4th rows of the grid. You do not have time to avoid any problems among the leaders and if you have problems of your own there are still plenty of people behind to run into you.

For that reason I reckon it could be dangerous to be too slow off the line. First corner braking is the best place for exercising discretion - if you think that is appropriate behaviour for a racing driver.

Is there a driver who doesn't want to drive to his limit, or better still Mick, Bob or Peter's limit?

I agree with Ian though, you can go well below the budget I have suggested and still have good races and lots of fun.
Obviously a limited programme of the races closest to where you live would be the biggest saving.

I have halved my travelling expenses by converting the van to LPG - that gives me an extra £250 to spend on the car, err, bathroom.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby RobSmith » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Martin Kemp wrote:I have put these figures together quickly. So they are estimates based on memory and something else.
They represent average costs per season for a 10 year racing career.

Tool Kit £100
Accident repairs £300
Replacement Parts £250
Development Parts £300
Racecar Fuel £120
Towcar Fuel (20mpg) £500
Slicks (2 years) £200
Wets (7 years) £60
Race Clothing £100
Extra food costs £280
Total £2210

To this you need to add the cost of the racecar itself, the cost of the towcar if it is not your normal car and any accomodation costs.
You can improve competitiveness by doubling your expenditure on tyres and tripling your development budget - beyond that I think you would get little return for your money. You could also manage quite adequately on half that budget.

The accident repair figure would cover a very unlucky driver or professional repairs.

Towcar and accomodation costs can be cut by using an old diesel Astra which can easily pull 750 car and sleeping in it.
Living in the Midlands would also save a lot of fuel.

Food costs can be saved by finishing ahead of Andrew and getting to the sponsors buffet first.

If I have missed out something I am sure someone can add it in,

Martin

I have been building my car for years and have already got through two sets of seatbelts and I have not even got as far as making the chassis. They have gone out of date. I am leaving everything with a time limit to the last minute so I get my full time out of them.
That means that I will need to spend about £1000 on Helmet, Suit, Seatbelts, Fire extinguisher, Race boots, and a few other bits. MArtins estimate of £100 a year over ten years is about right but if you have not got them that £1000 will be in one lump.
Also at the same time I will be needing to do my ARDS course and buy a trailer.
So that will be an expensive time.

I also have all the reciepts for everything I have bought for the car. I will eventually make up a spreadsheet with everything on but I am quite happily ignoring doing that at the moment. :shock: me :x the missus

Rob
RobSmith

Postby Clinton » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:24 am

As someone who is going through the pain at the moment of building a car I have created a sheet the details what I will spend. This is before the car even sees a rolling road or a track.

wheels and tyres new both drys only £800
Steel £250
Megasquirt and ignition sundries £150
Master Cylinders £80
Brake disks £200
Brake Calipers £300
Fuel Tank £80
Bottles for Brazing Deposit £140
Monthlty Rental Bottles £15
Brazing Rods 15 Kg £30
Quick Release Steering wheel £15
Steering wheel £100
Seat Belt 6 point TRS £100
Fire extinguisher £100
Small Lathe £300
Rose Joints £400
Second Hand Diff £20
Second hand Gearbox £20
Second hand Engine £30
Webber Carb £250
Propshaft New £150
Cam Newmans £200
Shocks Second Hand Ducati x 4 £200
Fibre Glass and agents Bodywork £125
Nuts and Bolts £50
Guages £200
Steering Rack £30
Gearbox to engine adaptor Plate
includes all other mainfold base plates £125
Steering Column Joints £30
Fuel Pump £30
Fuel pressure regulator £30
Radiator Nissan Micra Second hand £30
Brakes Pipes and fittings £60
Items that could be bought but I have fabricated My Cost New Cost
Exhaust made from Suzuki M Bike mainfold £30 £500
Inlet Manifold £15 £150
Header Tank
( There is a sign Post missing somewhere in Shropshire!!!) £5 £80
Sump Big wing £5 £150
Pedal Box £5 £150

Still To add to car bits and bobs
Sealed Pop Rivets 3 mm £50
Aluminuim Sheet £200

Driver Bits and Bobs
Race Suit £300
Boots £100
Helmet £300
Nomex Underware £150
ADRS £300

Additional Bits and Bobs
Trailer £500
Towbar for BMW £300
Flowers and Choclate to keep her indoors sweet £100

More additional bits and bobs
Paint, broken tools, drill bits, seat foam and any sundries I may have forgotten £300
Total £7,300

I would say the ability the be creative and do stuff yourself ralther than buy things can save quiet a bit of money but it is time consuming. At this stage I am still enjoying it but progress is slow and painful. For anyone who is considering getting into the formula don't do what I have done, buy a kit from racekits.co.uk. It is a proven race winner, quicker to build and ultimatley a lot easier to do.

Cheers
Clinton
To finish first, first you have to finish
Clinton

Postby Brian De Vie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:29 am

I think AndrewD would like to know more about the "Second hand Engine £30"
Actualy I might have one as well :lol:
TARANIS - the God of the Wheel
Brian De Vie

Postby Clinton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:21 am

Brian

I bought 3 engines and two diffs from a breaker in Somerset for £50. Forget what the breaker was called but he was in Krewcerne. I think that how you spell it.
To finish first, first you have to finish
Clinton

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula