Wessex CH1 1976 - do you know it?

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

Wessex CH1 1976 - do you know it?

Postby Chrisjhopkins » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 am

I have recently obtained an unused monocoque chassis, engine, gearbox, back axle, and some of the fabricated parts like wishbones complete with a set of drawings from 1975 drawn by "P.C."
I have read in David Morgan's excellent book on page 168 -
In 1976 Chris Hague's Wessex CH767 was constructed around an aluminium monocoque that appeared to be lighter than it actually was. Super fibreglass bodywork came from his good friend Roland Nix and the very special engine from Kim Perry's 1974 championship car. Throughout 1976 Hague was dominant and again a new standard was set in 750F."
I have made contact with a couple of Club Members who have cars called Hague originally made by Chris Hague but these are from the eighties and are space frames and a bit smaller and I guess lighter.
I would like to be able to build the Wessex CH1 to as near as I can to the original design and the drawings will help a lot but it would be great if anyone out there either still owns or used to own one and have pictures of the car or I can come and see it. I am particularly keen to have help with the body work as this will probably be the biggest challenge as I only have the general assembly of the whole body on the car. A long shot but are the moulds still out there?
Chrisjhopkins

Re: Wessex CH1 1976 - do you know it?

Postby F1300Tony » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm

PC = Peter Caldicott? I have a vague memory there was some very serious contention about who was the designer of this car, because someone else claimed to have decided on the 'specification'.
F1300Tony

Postby ricollin_123 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23 pm

.... you didn't have 'vague memory' when you designed Billy's car..... :)
ricollin_123

Postby F1300Tony » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Er.. Thank you!
If I am right it's interesting the quoted text skirts the issue. 'was constructed' Fools rush in.
F1300Tony

Postby Chrisjhopkins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 am

Come on Guys, this is not helping me now. OK it may not be a Hague or a Caldicott design but all I am interested in doing is building it and hopefully competing with it. I am over 60 so no one need feel threatened that I will beat them!
Sorry if the quote is not accurate, I know I should not believe everything I read!
Do you know if another one of these still exists? If so who should I contact?
Is there other chassis called different names the same size so I can use other moulds to get bodywork made that will fit?
Who is Billy?
Please help!!
Chrisjhopkins

Postby pbove » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Paul Morris raced one a few years ago, he can probably point you in the right direction and may well have some photos.

The Wessex and the Hague were very similar cars, the main difference being the ally chassis in in the Wessex vs a conventional spaceframe in the Hague. My first car was the Hague 80 and at the time Ernie Frost was being all conquering in his Hague. Mine went to the US via Alan Collard, Ernie's is now racing in 750 Trophy - Paul Mason used it to win the championship in dominant style a couple of seasons ago.

So, there are some contacts to follow up with. Paul Morris is probably the best starting point.

P
pbove

Postby Chrisjhopkins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks P, I will try to contact Paul Morris. Cheers, Chris
Chrisjhopkins

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula