Fiat Engine quandary

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

Fiat Engine quandary

Postby Blanchie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:31 am

I understand that you are only allowed to use the Fiat FIRE engine of 1108cc and parts originally fitted to this engine. As far as my research is concerned I have found 3 versions of the engine carbs, single point injection and multi port injection. and before i go scampering down to a scrappy with my piggy bank in hand i would like to know that i am going to come home with the right lump.

1108 cc 8v (from 1983 till 1993)
1108 cc 8v SPI (from 1993 till 2000)
1108 cc 8v MPI (since 2001, still in production)

Now from here confusion has set in and I have no idea which will comply with the regs. common sense dictates that it would be the original first incarnation of the engine but i would prefer to have multi port injection because the endless fannying about that it will provide.

this then brings me neatly to my second quandary, what is the engine defined as? Can I change the inlet manifold and have a different fuel delivery system and engine management or do standard fiat parts have to be used.
Blanchie

Re: Fiat Engine quandary

Postby pbove » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:06 am

Hi,

Any of the above engines are legal.

What you're allowed to change is defined in the regulations (see http://www.750mc.co.uk to download a copy). Lubrication system, inlet and exhaust manifolds are free. One choke of any carburettor can be used and ignition is free, but subject to only using a single trigger (i.e. no 3d mapped systems). Make sure you read the regs before starting.

Peter
pbove

Postby JohnP » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:22 am

Also be careful as the SEICENTO has a different manifold stud pattern. Go for the earlier (and therefore cheaper and more plentiful) Cinquecento.
Chop it, drop it, catch it, stop it....and mind the trees..
JohnP

Postby Ian Allen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:08 am

You can use any ignition program ( eg Polestar). Inlet and exhaust manifold free. Carb free One choke ie; half a weber. Engine blueprinting is allowed, balancing, lightening to the lightest component, no removal or addition of any materials to the cylinder head, Mixing of the components from all three engines is allowed.

Loads of scope for tinkering, all ends up with approximately the same speed on the track, = best formula in the world

Good luck
Ian
Ian Allen

Postby JohnP » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:33 am

Ian Allen wrote:Loads of scope for tinkering, all ends up with approximately the same speed on the track, = best formula in the world

And best looking 8-)
Chop it, drop it, catch it, stop it....and mind the trees..
JohnP

Postby Blanchie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 pm

That is fantastic news thanks gents. well thats the hard bit over now its all going to be the joy of building another racing car on a budget you could lace boots with. I am building a car with a couple of lads i built a formula student car with in university so brace yourselves for something truly......lets say unique. :lol:
Blanchie

Postby Blanchie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:09 pm

I have had a read of some of the oter engine posts again and i am yet again confused as to wether we can have injection or if we have to have a carb.
Blanchie

Postby TonyS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 pm

I see your point.

It looks like the copy of the 2008 rules as listed on the 750 website has rules regarding the engine missing. Rule 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 are printed but rules 5.7.3 to 5.7.8 are absent.

It is these rules that include the ones where you must have a single choke carburettor.

Someone might need to remind/tell Robin or Keith of this mistake otherwise it could get messy......
TonyS

Postby Blanchie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:21 pm

well that could have been a huge set back i will get back to the drawing board
Blanchie

Postby pbove » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:44 pm

TonyS wrote:I see your point.

It looks like the copy of the 2008 rules as listed on the 750 website has rules regarding the engine missing. Rule 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 are printed but rules 5.7.3 to 5.7.8 are absent.

It is these rules that include the ones where you must have a single choke carburettor.

Someone might need to remind/tell Robin or Keith of this mistake otherwise it could get messy......

I've emailed Robin and Keith.

P
pbove

Next

Return to Getting started in 750 Formula