New to 750 Formula

Everything you need to know if you are thinking about racing in 750 Formula

New to 750 Formula

Postby Matt27 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi All,
My name is Matthew Unwin, I'd just like to introduce myself. I've just completed my first car project, an Audi 1.8T engine conversion for my Lotus Elise. I attended quite a few Lotus Cup races last year as I had done a bit of business with the team supporting Ade Wotton and Joe Taylor. I really enjoyed being in the paddock and witnessing the excitement of races first hand, and sought a championship to compete in which ticked a few specific boxes. Mainly being relatively affordable [as Lotus Cup racing is beyond my budget], emphasis on building my own car, as I enjoy that challenge as much as track action, and developing my automotive building and love of motorsport into a more tangible hobby. It was by accident that having talked through Joe's ambitions this season to compete in the 750 Club Enduro series that I happened upon the 750 Formula.

Having spoken with James from the club, Rod and Martin, I quickly realised this would be perfect.

So - I've decided on a Falcon from Martin, as I don't have the ability as yet to start from scratch. I've got an 1108 Fire engine and awaiting delivery of a 46400108 head from Ebay. I've got until July before my chassis will be hopefully ready, so I would like to assemble this race engine and get as much ready before the build starts fully in the summer.

I've read the regulations and Martin has given me a good initial steer, but I wanted to just get in contact with you all and hope to learn some more during this season, in readiness for the track with you guys next year.

I live a stones throw from Rockingham [I know I'm gutted by the closure as well!] - so fairly central. I hope to get to plenty of races this year and learn what I can about ... everything. From the conversations and e-mail correspondence so far, everybody seems very friendly and enthusiastic which is really encouraging. So I'll be sure to say hi and hope to pick up some tips during the year.

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions - but for now, if anybody has any crucial tips on getting started, please feel free to reply.

I've read quite a bit of material on this forum so far, as I know what it's like to simply be re-asking what has been discussed. But as I'm new - I thought I'd still introduce myself before getting into specifics.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt27
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby F1300Tony » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Welcome. (I could not say welcome Matt!)
You are doing all the right things. I always suggest people drive a known sorted car and learn the circuits before before designing their own. That way you know what the car should do and feel like.
Keep asking questions, even the same question to different people. Unless it's in the last 20 minutes before they go out, or they have problems with the car, they will answer a few questions. They can always so no.
Race driving is a craft that is improved by practise.
Good luck!
F1300Tony
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby Gloves » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 am

Hi Matt,

I think you have made a great choice of championship and car. Hopefully you will be able to attend some of the races this year and please come and have a chat. I’m not too far away in Derby so if you want to come and look at the car, see how it fits together and and talk about lessons learnt then just let me know.

Cheers

Mark
Gloves
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am
Location: Derby

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby Dave Robson » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am

Matt,
If you fancy a trip to the Derby area there is a monthly meeting of the East Midlands Centre of the 750 MC each 'first Tuesday of the month' at The Royal Oak in Ockbrook (DE72 3SE). The next is April 2nd. We meet from 20:00hrs and there are a number of 750 Formula competitors there to chat to, including Mark. You'd be most welcome.

Regards,

Dave
Dave Robson
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby Matt27 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 am

F1300Tony wrote:Welcome. (I could not say welcome Matt!)
You are doing all the right things. I always suggest people drive a known sorted car and learn the circuits before before designing their own. That way you know what the car should do and feel like.
Keep asking questions, even the same question to different people. Unless it's in the last 20 minutes before they go out, or they have problems with the car, they will answer a few questions. They can always so no.
Race driving is a craft that is improved by practise.
Good luck!


Hi Tony,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm 99% sure this championship is for me. When considering the other options I either got put off by the cost, and the risk of being drawn into a money for lap time situation, or felt a little flat about preparing a production car for racing. Gutting an MX5 and race prepping it for example just doesn't do it for me. It's interesting you mention getting the opportunity to drive a known car before jumping feet first, just not sure how this could be arranged? Who would be willing and where etc.

In terms of questions - naturally I'll be respectful of peoples time and situation. In a very similar way to the Lotus Cup races last year, I knew when to stay out of the way...
Matt27
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby Matt27 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am

Gloves wrote:Hi Matt,

I think you have made a great choice of championship and car. Hopefully you will be able to attend some of the races this year and please come and have a chat. I’m not too far away in Derby so if you want to come and look at the car, see how it fits together and and talk about lessons learnt then just let me know.

Cheers

Mark


Hi Mark,

Thanks also for your words of encouragement. I read your build blog with interest, and was partially the reason I chose the Falcon, as it really showed how do-able it is for me. Thank you for your kind offer to come and visit you and have a chat over your car. It's not everyday a newcomer gets the opportunity to examine a championship winning car and talk through the challenges. I will definitely take you up on that offer mate.

Cheers,
Matt
Matt27
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby F1300Tony » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am

Matt,
By a 'known' car, I meant one that is known to be quick and handle in a predictable way and that includes your Falcon. By using the settings Martyn provides, it will handle well. If you design your own, or buy a one-off that did not set the world alight, you are at square one with spring rates, a/r bar diameters, etc, and you would not know whether the problem was you or the car. Then it is just a matter of fine tuning it to your liking, and then there is scope to develop it in whatever direction you choose.
F1300Tony
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby Matt27 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:32 am

F1300Tony wrote:Matt,
By a 'known' car, I meant one that is known to be quick and handle in a predictable way and that includes your Falcon. By using the settings Martyn provides, it will handle well. If you design your own, or buy a one-off that did not set the world alight, you are at square one with spring rates, a/r bar diameters, etc, and you would not know whether the problem was you or the car. Then it is just a matter of fine tuning it to your liking, and then there is scope to develop it in whatever direction you choose.


Hi Tony,

Ah, I see. In that case I'm in good hands with a Falcon then, and the right guidance from Martin on base setup. As mentioned, my intention was not to scratch build yet anyway, principally as that is beyond my current ability, but also, as you mention, if it's a dog - it's a double-whammy, for build confidence and track enjoyment.

I'm under no grand delusions that I'll set the world alight straight away, I'm more focused on making a good job of the kit / build, and enjoying the challenge of improving on track. The way it should be.
Having said that... given a few seasons, I won't be looking to make up numbers ;)

Cheers,
Matt
Matt27
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby Matt27 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 am

Dave Robson wrote:Matt,
If you fancy a trip to the Derby area there is a monthly meeting of the East Midlands Centre of the 750 MC each 'first Tuesday of the month' at The Royal Oak in Ockbrook (DE72 3SE). The next is April 2nd. We meet from 20:00hrs and there are a number of 750 Formula competitors there to chat to, including Mark. You'd be most welcome.

Regards,

Dave


Hi Dave,

Many thanks for inviting me to this. Yes it sounds like just the environment to meet you all; especially so close to the start of the season. I'll see whether I can make it.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt27
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: New to 750 Formula

Postby suebmick » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Get yourself to some race meetings. Ask whatever questions you want. Nothing is regarded as a daft question (I should know)! Just probably not when someone's head down inside a car!
Sue & Mick
suebmick
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Kent


Return to Getting started in 750 Formula

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest