Newman camshafts

Messages from the 750 formula committee

Moderator: 750 Formula Moderator

Newman camshafts

Postby mysticrod » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 am

Spoke to Dave Newman this morning,The blanks are made by a accredited company who manufacture casting for Cumins JCB Caterpiller and other major manufactures.He feels it's a installation problem. So make sure the pistons are down the bore when fiting the cam and the journals are free.He stated it should be possible to stand on the cam between vee blocks with out it breaking,Not that I can try that I'm still waiting for mine.
Rod
mysticrod

Re: Newman camshafts

Postby pbove » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Here is the latest.

Rod has spoken to Keith Messer and Dave Newman and Keith has spoken to Bob Culver. Bob is sending one broken cam to Newman and the other (they did a crude 'cam fragility' test by hitting one with a hammer and broke a second one) to Keith. Keith will speak to Dave Newman to find out how often cams break in the post and try to get a feel for whether the cams will survive hard usage in our cars. He will also inspect the broken cam to try and glean any information. We'll then be in a position to work out the best way forward.

I'm happy to try a cam in the ADR (cos I can start the season in the Darvi if it all goes horribly wrong) but it will take a while to get the cam installed and ready to test. We should have a clearer idea in the next couple of days and we will post updated information as soon as it becomes available.

Peter
pbove

Postby mysticrod » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:17 pm

latest news, spoke to Keith this evening.He's spoken to Dave Newman and James/Bob Culver
Keith's collecting the broken cam from James to get inspected hoping for good news on Friday.
Rod.
mysticrod

Postby suebmick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Tues 4th Feb

Chris Gough has been on the rolling road & tested the new cam for 3 hours (!!) (see "General" section). Nothing broke!

It appears that the centre bearing has a slight undercut rather than a radius curve which may have caused a problem on installation/travelling. Dave Newman will be reviewing whether there is room for a radius cut or not when he has seen Peter's scrap head (after Snetterton)

Any problems with the size of the rear journal..contact Dave Newman asap for return/replacement.

We will be running at Snetterton (& the rest of the season) with the Newman cams. Any other cam is not permitted. A firmer right foot &/or new brake pads may be advisable!

Sue
suebmick

Return to 750f Committee