Everything related to the administration of the season

Postby pbove » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:30 pm

Don't forget when you're writing your letter to Santa that you'll need a camera to compete next season if you don't already have one..... this years regs state:

It is recommended that all competitors carry an on board, in car
camera that records to an SD (or micro-SD) card that must be capable
of recording HD footage that can be played back on a standard laptop.
Recordings from the cameras may be used where there is an incident
which is subsequently brought before the Clerk of the Course for
investigation.
From 2021 it will be MANDATORY that all drivers must have an on
board camera.

Rather oddly, it states that the camera must be capable of recording HD footage.... not that it should record HD footage.... weird!
pbove

Re: 2021

Postby dopdog » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Am I right in saying it also has to show the steering wheel to see what you do as well?
dopdog

Postby Baggers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:12 am

Recording isn't mandatory, just the carrying of the camera.
Baggers

Postby pbove » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am

The following is what is used in the Formula Vee regs.... I would expect something similar for us:

All competitors are required to carry an on board, in car camera that records to an SD (or micro-SD)
card that must be capable of recording HD footage that can be played back on a standard laptop. Recordings from the cameras
may be used where there is an incident which is subsequently brought before the Clerk of the Course for investigation.
It is the competitor’s sole responsibility to ensure safe installation and effective operation of the camera equipment. At all times
cameras must be fitted in accordance with MOTORSPORT UK regulations and be approved by the Chief Scrutineer in accordance
with J.5.21

Cameras must be mounted in a position such that the steering wheel and track in clear view. The unit must always be switched
on and be recording when the car is on track during any official free practice, qualification session and race.
The onus is on the competitor to ensure that the camera unit battery is charged, the camera switched on to record and manage
the storage to ensure enough space is available on which to record during the above-mentioned sessions.

In the event that no recording is available when requested by the Organisers or Clerk of the Course for judicial purposes then the
following penalties will be applied by the Clerk of the Course.

a. First offence – Formal Reprimand
b. Championship Points Deduction – Equivalent to an 8th place finish.
c. Disqualification.
pbove

Postby tonybraz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:00 am

Hi all I have just fitted a Go-Pro to my car as required by the rules , my question is can you get away with using one sd card to record the practice and two races, i expect to change battery each time, this saves me dropping it as rather small thing in awkward place.

Cheers Tony
tonybraz

Postby Steve Boother » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Hey Tony

I have got a GoPro 7 Black with a 64GB card which has been plenty for me. The biggest issue I had was forgetting to turn it off sometimes and draining the battery so I also bough some spares and a multi charger which came in handy, see link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Last year I had the camera mounted out of reach so I also bough a remote for it, again link below although I have moved the position this year so I can reach it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps

Steve
Steve Boother

Postby dopdog » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Hi Tony it depends on the resolution you use but yes 1 SD card will hold loads of info on it. The gopro should show you on the screen how much recording time you have
dopdog

Postby Martin Kemp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:05 pm

The biggest problem I found with the GoPro was battery life. In the cockpit with it behind your head it is a bit difficult to tell whether you have switched it on or switched it on and then off again.
You can be sure by switching it on before you get in the car but then it may have to run for nearly an hour before the end of the race.

The camera I have now has a traffic mode where the camera is powered from the car and switches on with the ignition and records on a loop overwriting earlier recordings. However It doesn't have mode for removing splatted bugs,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby tonybraz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 pm

Thank you for your replies will order batteries and remote and a larger sd card. I have tried to use with my phone but does not like it so my tourettes starts to come out will give to one of children to sort out. Cheers for the information.

Tony
tonybraz

Postby pbove » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:28 pm

Well boys and girls, it looks as though Boris will let us play at Silverstone...... better get back to that chilly garage!
pbove

Next

Return to Dates & Rules/Regs