Update from the 750MC on Racing in 2020

Everything related to the administration of the season

Re: Update from the 750MC on Racing in 2020

Postby LyndonH750F » Wed May 20, 2020 5:41 am

I've seen two or three incidents of cars/drivers being challanged in scrutineering last season, where the scrutineers picked up on issues which would have been dangerous. For example, loose wishbones! This wasn't necessarily due to ignorance, but due to it simply being overlooked when carrying out pre-race checks. I'm also aware of a car which went into scrutineering with with a fuel leak. These are I believe honest mistakes and not a reflection on individuals. But I'm mighty glad the scrutineers were there.

On that basis I have to disagree and believe a physical inspection is crucial. Whilst I agree the ownus of car preparation is with the driver, I like to know that the other cars around me on the grid have been checked - as I don't know how seriously other owners take their own car preparation.

I think this applies to all walks of life. As soon as you stop making checks, there are instances where people can't be trusted. Would you still build a house to building regs, if there was no building inspection? Would everyone pay the correct tax to the taxman if we didn't have to document a self assessment? Checks are crucial I believe.

Lyndon
LyndonH750F

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 am

I agree that checks are necessary to ensure everyone complies with regulations, and certainly improve safety, but in the first instance we are only talking about 4 race meetings.
Since many scrutineers and drivers are quite ancient and would fall into the vulnerable category, the dangers of catching Covid 19 are greater than those of reduced scrutiny of the cars.

If we still have social distancing by next season then scrutineering will be the least of our worries,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Wed May 20, 2020 8:46 am

I have had the experience of a scrute finding a loose wheel..... worse still, it was on my car. However, I have never assumed that scrutes were there to find preparation errors..... and I have now changed my pre-race prep. Experienced racers all know what the scrutes do, it isn't hard to replicate it in your own workshop......
pbove

Postby F1300Tony » Wed May 20, 2020 9:29 am

Scrutineering is a two minute inspection of a car, and could really only be expected to find obvious omissions. I would hope an owner would spend at least 20 minutes cleaning/inspecting their car between meetings, plus a full suspension spanner check. The condition of the car is the entrant's responsibility.
Selective scrutineering of new cars and novice teams is exactly right.
F1300Tony

Postby LyndonH750F » Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Martin - Interesting point on the age of scrutineers, also applies to drivers and in some cases marshalls. I've wondered about this myself, I guess the guidance will continue to change over the weeks, but it's quite hard for clubs to plan not knowing whether they are able to use the support of the aged who are more vulnerable. Equally, a question remains on whether those groups will be able to enter the races or not. Will make things challenging when trying to sort out race entry numbers etc.

On the rest, in principle I agree with your sentiments. But ultimately feel the physical checks remain key to our safe racing. Whilst Peter may have learnt from his mistake, as have I (having done something similar), without the scrutineers we may have learnt about our mistake whilst peeling ourselves out of a car burried in a crash barrier, or worse still into another competitor.

Lyndon
LyndonH750F

Postby pbove » Wed May 20, 2020 5:18 pm

LyndonH750F wrote:Martin - Interesting point on the age of scrutineers, also applies to drivers and in some cases marshalls. I've wondered about this myself, I guess the guidance will continue to change over the weeks, but it's quite hard for clubs to plan not knowing whether they are able to use the support of the aged who are more vulnerable. Equally, a question remains on whether those groups will be able to enter the races or not. Will make things challenging when trying to sort out race entry numbers etc.

On the rest, in principle I agree with your sentiments. But ultimately feel the physical checks remain key to our safe racing. Whilst Peter may have learnt from his mistake, as have I (having done something similar), without the scrutineers we may have learnt about our mistake whilst peeling ourselves out of a car burried in a crash barrier, or worse still into another competitor.

Lyndon

Speaking as one of the 1.5 million who have been told to isolate for 12 weeks, it won't stop me from racing.....
pbove

Postby geofff » Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Peter,

Did you get that over the lack of spleen? Because I didn't get one and was quite surprised.

Thanks

Geoff
:)
geofff

Postby pbove » Tue May 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi Geoff,

No, it was because I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma - according to a vascular surgeon of whom I asked the same (Spleen) question, he replied that the spleen doesn't help counter viral infections, only bacterial infections - which was (very reassuring) news to me.
pbove

Postby Gloves » Wed May 27, 2020 5:35 pm

I’ve just read todays email from Motorsportuk which lays out the plan for restarting motorsport ‘Opens Throttle’. In July it looks like the number of event permits will be limited to half the number of permits granted in July 19 and no national or British championship events will be approved. I suppose part throttle is a start.........
Gloves

Postby LyndonH750F » Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 am

Seems an unusual stance to restrict access to non-champtionship events. Championship or non-championship event, it still involves a number of people travelling across the country and all gathering in paddock. Fortunate for those who are 'series' but equally I guess it may change some of the racing dates so clubs can squash
non-champioship' events into July to use the calendar effectively.

How about suggesting to 750MC you complete a non-championship round and don't score points, but still go racing in July?
LyndonH750F

PreviousNext

Return to Dates & Rules/Regs