2020 Calendar

Everything related to the administration of the season

2020 Calendar

Postby Gloves » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 am

All,

The provisional 2020 Calendar is now on the club website. All double headers and only 12 races

Silverstone National. 4&5 April
Donington 30&31 May
Brands 27&28 June
Mallory 26 July
Anglesey 12&13 September
Snetterton 300 17&18 October

Cheers

Mark
Gloves

Re: 2020 Calendar

Postby pbove » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am

Unless we have some triple headers
pbove

Postby suebmick » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:46 am

6 meetings. Presume 12 races???
Someone tell me why? Why do I get the feeling we're the poor relation of the Club? I presume we just don't put out the numbers on the grid?

Thankfully we'll be at Goodwood in September so that's our excuse for not going all the way to Anglesey! As will the Boothers!
suebmick

Postby pbove » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:37 am

Check out the article in Autosport, we are one of the clubs smallest grids and the only thing we can do about that is to er..... race a bit more often. I don’t know how you can have such a downer on Anglesey - it’s a fabulous circuit in a fantastic location.
pbove

Postby suebmick » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:57 am

I'm sure we'd love Anglesey...but you try getting there, from here, on a Friday. Dartford Tunnel (which everybody else moans about for the Brands meetings), Smart motorways & road works all the way. Even Oulton was a 5hour non-stop drive for us and we left at 4.30am to avoid the traffic, which didn't work as everyone else in this corner of the UK has to do the same to get to work for 8am! And then 1 of us would have to drive all the way home again after a long day or 2. Much as we'd like to go, it's just not going to happen, I'm afraid

We'll be camping just behind the end of Lavant Straight at Goodwood from Thurs to Monday that weekend, listening to Marcus talking solidly for 3 days from 7am to 7pm, with the Spitfires overhead doing the Dawn Chorus & wandering amongst the bikes, cars & aeroplanes in our 40's outfits! Despite the reduced 750 calendar, I just knew when we booked Goodwood that it was going to clash!
suebmick

Postby Martin Kemp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Sue, I seem to remember that we had clothes rationing in the 40s and girls used to draw stocking seams on their bare legs to pretend they could afford nylon stockings.
Harold Wilson, then President of the Board of Trade, tried to persuade women to wear short skirts for the sake of the nation.
That policy only came to fruition when he was Prime Minister in 1964 - when sex was invented. Happy days.

I agree with Peter about Anglesey and we make the journey easier by stopping over on the way and making it into a mini break in Wales.
Missing out on Cadwell is a big disappointment - you really know you're alive driving Cadwell. This year in the wet on slicks was particularly vivid. I would race at Cadwell if it was in Stromness.

The numbers for Brands were low last year, which surprised me because it is second only to Cadwell to drive and is the best circuit for spectators.
Our supporters don't get a better chance to see the whole race, though Anglesey comes a good second and has better scenery if it is a boring race.

We are busy churning out some more cars so numbers are looking up in the medium term, but we need to keep up the entries for next year and try to get back to 14 rounds. However I notice that it is not purely down to numbers because the RGBs had less than us and still have 14 races including 2 triple headers.

Personally I am up for triple headers to get more racing in. What do other people think,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby suebmick » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:13 pm

We'd be happy with triples, Martin. But with our current rate of attrition on a double-header it might be a very slim 3rd race grid.
Just what average numbers do we need to get to, to get our full set of rounds back again?

Mick is trying his best to get the 877 rebuilt, but he won't bring out an unfinished or rough-finished car. It's all a matter of pride (& time that we don't seem to have)

As for numbers.... we need to get the unused cars out of their garages! Again. But it's not an easy thing to either let one go & admit that you're not going to race again, or to afford the spiralling costs of getting yourself back on track even if the car's ok!

There are some we need to try & chase up.....

Nigel Saunders' Jennicar is languishing in its garage
Graham Rice's GCR?
Ex John Sleight/Andrew Lake's Phoenix???
Ex Dick Hartle's Tristesse 7 has recently been for sale on Gumtree & I presume it still is
The Hart that appeared at Mallory for a scrute check, I presume, is being worked on
There are 2 x Davis cars sat in one garage
Andy Twort's long-distance 750!
I understand Nigel Harvey is about to put his Special up for sale soon if anyone's interested & it seems James Hardy's car is for sale too after Donington
And there are numerous other cars out there, gathering dust & rust. Soon they'll all be eligible for "Historics" & we'll lose the lot

As for Darvis...

Andrew's Darvi has gone off to its new home & I'm sure we'll see Roger Saretski as a regular with us.
Steve Boother has bought Lynfel's/Paul's Darvi & has just picked up a shiny white new set of bodywork yesterday to get it prepped & ready for 2020
I understand an Historic driver has designs on another Darvi that's been laid up for a while
We (briefly) saw another Darvi at Donington with Andrew Gent...hopefully now his flock has flown he'll become a regular face again.
We'll try & contact Darryl & find out his plans for the ex-Wolstenholme Darvi

We haven't seen a lot of
Rory with Dicks/Bill Rutter's Mk5 much last year.
James Jeffery (although he seems to be in Africa rallying at the moment!)
Huw Davies
Nigel Terry
Ollie Collett
Tonin Matia
Tony Brazier
& quite a few others. But everybody has their own priorities. You can't MAKE someone go & race.

Sue
Last edited by suebmick on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suebmick

Postby dopdog » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm

That's a big list of car's that potentially could be out on track Sue. I think we have the same issue in the Historic as well :shock:
dopdog

Postby Martin Kemp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Whilst the RGBs still get 14 races with an average grid of 16, the Historics only get 12 rounds with a respectable average of 20, perhaps because they are not a Championship. The Clios get a full schedule with an average of 21 so perhaps that is what we need.

Actually, to qualify as historics our cars would need to be pre-1974, have an approved logbook and not have the various modern components that they may have acquired over the years. Exactly what those components are is a bit of a movable feast but include double adjustable dampers, aluminium calipers, rear disc brakes, electronic ignition,etc. You would also have to run on treaded Dunlop tyres. I enjoyed racing with the historics, it is the friendliest of formulae, but the cars are very different and not that many cars are interchangeable,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby F1300Tony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

I am mystified why the brilliant 750F does not get more race entries. The engines are cheap and reliable, and the cars have wings and decent slicks. Compare that to Vee which has full grids but expensive engines which very few drivers build themselves, pre-war suspension which defies all logic, and tyres which need care to bed in. They have is a large proportion of arrive and drive cars which might be a factor.
F1300Tony

Next

Return to Dates & Rules/Regs