Regulation changes for 2019

Everything related to the administration of the season

Re: Regulation changes for 2019

Postby Martin Kemp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm

And now the last advantage of being a 7 stone weakling has gone, I may as well get down to the gym so I can lift the ballast weights into the Merlin,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Yep - me too - but be grateful that it’s only 480 and not the original idea of 490 - and anyway, were you not one of the people pushing for an increase?
pbove

Postby suebmick » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 pm

Martin. I thought the weight limit was increased based on your car anyway?
suebmick

Postby pbove » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Yes Sue, I thought the same.

I was also confused, given Martin's previous post about weight and weight distribution, as to why he stuck a bloody great De Deon tube right at the back of the car, behind the centre line of the rear wheels, about the worst solution for moving weight forwards. Doubtless there was a cunning plan which has escaped me, but I suspect that Dan's indy rear suspension is better from a weight distribution perspective and probably lighter as well.

Another pet peeve was that the people with the heaviest car/driver combinations many of whom were keen to increase the weight limit, don't appear to be so concerned that they have done anything to reduce the weight of their cars or themselves. The result is that we are now required to run 10kg heavier than a Formula Vee. :(
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:51 pm

It wasn't me who proposed the increased weight limit as I have some sympathy for those with lightweight cars and in rehearsing the arguments I did argue for a smaller increase.
We have 2 cars, the Merlin and the Falcon. If I could get them weighed together then they would average out to the old weight limit.
We also have a customer Merlin being built which is going to need lots of ballast and the existing Falcons most of which will not. In an attempt To be evenhanded with my customers I abstained from the vote and I was slightly surprised by the result, however the resultant regulation is OK in my view because it helps future builders of transverse-engined without being too bad for front-engined ones.

I asked a well known published authority on race data and simulation to carry out a simulation of the effect of the increasing the weight limit.
Very roughly for an increase of 30kg the lap time increases by 0.7 seconds per lap on a flat circuit.

Roughly speaking over a limited range of values, it seems that a 6.5% weight saving would give a 1% reduction in lap time or to look at it another way 10 kg saves about .25 sec. Useful, but not as critical as many people seem to think. I could improve on that by staying awake for the whole race and remembering to slow down for all the corners.

There was indeed a cunning plan. The de Dion it is there to save weight and aid the weight distribution. It saves weight because it does not require any supporting chassis, as an independent system would. The weight of the axle is very low down compared to an independent system and it allows the springs and dampers to be mounted ahead of the suspension at floor level which further helps the longitudinal weight distribution and also the vertical weight distribution at the rear which is also very important for the handling. In fact the only really heavy bits of the de Dion set up are the uprights and the drive shafts which are also required for an independent system.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and the Batten is quite different from the Falcon, but in judging a design it should be looked at it in its entirety rather that just individual components,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Final regs are now published on the club website.
pbove

Postby GregSwan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 pm

As an outsider/newbie looking in, here’s my ignorant two pence worth of observations;

I know the 750F is keen to maintain and increase grid numbers for all the obvious reasons, and hopefully the new 480kg limit is a more attractive option for drivers converting cars from other heavier formulae. However, I think it might also now make the 750F a less appealing option for those with an older 750F chassis tucked away. If, as Martin says, a Falcon and Merlin average out at 375kg and assuming a 30kg difference, that would make a Falcon about 390kg and a Merlin about 360kg. A Falcon will make the minimum weight with an average 90kg/14stone driver.

The Merlin is not dissimilar (in design and weight) to many older cars which could be eligible for either the 750F or H750F. I’ve got a couple of Centaurs and a DNC in the workshop which would work out about the same. If entered for the 750F they would need a driver of at least 120kg/19stone to make the weight; that's me (70kg) and my partner (50kg) combined. Unfortunately, the MSA won’t like her riding shotgun and I’ve just found out she doesn’t respond well to me calling her ballast. Adding substantial amounts of weight does make selling the idea of an upgrade path from H750F to 750F to any of my customers a bit more difficult though. Just saying.

The Falcon, Cowley, PRS, Darvi, Batten, CGR etc etc have all won recent Championships; that’s a pretty eclectic mix of cars, old and new, and with various drivetrain configurations. At least for me, the variety is partly what makes the 750F uniquely special. Looking in from the outside, it doesn’t suggest an overall bias toward any one car or configuration… but what do I know.
Last edited by GregSwan on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregSwan

Postby pbove » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Greg,

Interesting input with which I agree. I think that car and driver weight (or rather mass) has become an emotive topic but the overall effect on performance is probably not as great as we think. It is a shame however, that many of those who are keen for an increase were not bothered enough to do anything about reducing the mass of their car/driver combinations, I would have had fewer complaints had this been the case and I have huge sympathy for Ben and Ollie who did just that and are now faced with adding ballast to their car.
pbove

Postby GregSwan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:26 pm

Comparing the Ingham’s lap times at the Birkett (with Jon driving) to those at Donington (with Mike driving), relative to the other car/driver combos racing at both events, the difference in pace works out at more than five seconds a lap round Donington. A bit of an unfair (and inexact) comparison maybe, given that Jon is an experienced racer and it was Mike’s debut.

Nevertheless, same car, engine, setup and weight... just a different nut behind the wheel... and more or less the difference between a possible Class A and B podium finish.
GregSwan

Previous

Return to Dates & Rules/Regs