Darvi Mk5 for sale

Cars and Parts for Sale

Darvi Mk5 for sale

Postby tdriscoll » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:29 pm

It is with not a little sadness that I am making the Darvi Mk5 available for sale. I am not going to be racing next year, as I am getting married in 2019, and I cannot race and save at the same time.
It is far better for the car to be out on track, racing, then it is for it to be sitting locked in a garage – especially in an anniversary year for the formula.
After Snetterton, there is some work to be done to get the car ready for next season, chiefly nosecone (damaged) and brakes (all round pads & disc replacements needed; fronts already replaced).

Darvi Mk5 – 2018 Class B championship winning car.

IMG_7732 (1).jpg
IMG_7732 (1).jpg (184.48 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

Good engine, A-series gearbox and rear axle (4.55 ratio fitted). Polestar ignition, extended fuel tank for Birkett relay.
Carburettor professionally rebuilt by Northampton Motorsport in autumn 2017, tuned by Lynx AE in May 2018.
Belts good until 2021; Fire extinguisher bought Feb 2017, so will not require a service in 2018.
Stack dash/data logging system; can show pressures/temps, best/last lap times, predictive lap times, and alarms for high temperatures or high/low pressures.
Bodywork is complete apart from nose – but it is not concours. It is in the condition of a car that has been involved in close racing! However, I have the mould for the nose, and I know that there is a stockpile of them, and who has them. I also have the moulds for both sidepods
The car is fitted with steel ballast plates to enable a sub-90kg driver to reach the 460kg minimum weight limit.
Slick tyres (3 used, 1 new) on alloy wheels, wet tyres are on steel minilites.
Spares etc. include:
Special tools for engine/gearbox/diff
Quantities of engine oil (Mobil 1 10W-60), gearbox oil (redline lightweight shockproof), diff oil (Castrol 373B) and coolant additive (Redline Water Wetter), and brake fluid (AP Racing R1).
Moulds for sidepods and nosecone, and nosecone bubble. (The moulds are large, you will need a van to pick these up in one trip).
Spare engine sump, original aluminium gearbox rear housing and plate (from Dave Robson conversion).
Spare 4.22:1 (9/38) a-series diff, good condition. (The 4.55:1 diff is not suitable for circuits like Thruxton).
A few other misc. spares including a front top wishbone, and some silicone hosing and hose joiners. Some sheet steel, aluminium and carbon available too.
Front Uprights – I am in the process of machining/fabricating a pair of new front uprights. As this had to be fitted in around the ongoing season maintenance, and my ability to find time in the machine shop at work, progress as up to now been slow, but now I have little excuse.
Container of assorted fasteners for paddock fixes, which while not exhaustive includes - metric and imperial nuts, bolts and washers, NAS bolts, ¼ turn fasteners, rivets, split pins, and other useful things.
I can provide a list of part numbers/suppliers for parts; drawings and CAD files for parts I’ve designed/updated.
In two calendar years of racing, I have been able to finish within the top 10 on numerous occasions, with 6th overall being my best result (narrowly losing out on 5th). With a more talented driver/experienced engineer, and a couple of tweaks, I think this car is capable of finishing in the top 6-8 on most weekends.
Delivery might be possible, at buyer’s expense. Car can be viewed by interested buyers in Brackley, South Northamptonshire. £6500, open to reasonable offers. Message me on here if you are interested. I will put an advert on the club website in a week or so.
Last edited by tdriscoll on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdriscoll

Re: Darvi Mk5 for sale

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Dick Harvey set the standard with the Darvi Mk5 - great cars.

We will be sad to see you go, but you can always return later. After all the formula has been going for 70 years so far.

Martin

PS. Racekits can also make that type of nose cone
Martin Kemp

Postby pbove » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:38 am

Tom, sorry to see you selling up - it is a quick car and at a competitive price - good luck with the sale.

You and your team will be missed from the paddock - a great bunch of lads who in many ways represent the best of the formula. I hope that this is just a sabbatical and that we will see you back before too long!
pbove

Postby DANIELWELSH » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm

DONT DO IT TOM!!, ..( sell the car i mean ,not the wedding ?? )..i dont think youll have any trouble selling her ,( the car i mean )..
on a more serious note ,i dont think you'll have any trouble selling it, worth every penny ,dont leave it too long to come back ..all the best for your wedding ..Dan
DANIELWELSH

Postby Conway » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Sorry to hear that you've decided to pause for now Tom, but I hope to see both you and the car back on the circuit soon.
All the best.
Conway
Conway

Postby paul » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:09 pm

What a shame. I can echo the don't do it from Dan, having sold my Darvi and all my spares a few years ago I soon regretted it. It also proved a challenge to get all ready for a season ( in fact it took 2 seasons. If you can store it for a couple of years or rent it out with race insurance.
Paul
paul

Postby tdriscoll » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks for your comments guys. I may well regret selling the car, you're right! I will certainly miss racing next year no matter if I sell or store the car. However, as Martin says, I can always come back later. I will certainly come along to spectate at some races in the new season.

I have already had 3 people get in touch, so Peter's post on another thread, about their being more potential drivers than available cars, would seem to be true...
tdriscoll

Postby tdriscoll » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:01 pm

SOLD.

Rory Melia is switching from Formula Vee to 750 Formula for 2019.

Good luck Rory, and I'll see you all as a spectator in the spring.
tdriscoll

Postby dopdog » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:58 am

Great stuff, it looks a fantastic car
dopdog

Return to For Sale