Machined parts for 750s

If you know of someone who can supply parts for 750F cars, please post in here.

Machined parts for 750s

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:31 pm

I have just bought Barbara a new lathe for Christmas - well it was new in 1967.
So now I can make lots of turned parts for 750s.

It is a Colchester Bantam with an 11" swing so it can handle anything that we need for our cars.
I have yet to find out how accurate it is, but it should be quite adequate for most 750 parts.

Things I can make on it include:

Gearbox shaft spigots
Rear disc brake conversions
Aluminium Viva type hubs - possibly stub axles and uprights as well.
Wishbone and radius arm end fittings - including UNF left hand threaded ones for adjustable radius arms.
Balance adjusters for brake pedals

Any further suggestions for useful stuff.

Before I start I need a single phase to 3 phase converter - the Bantam has a 2 speed motor - does anyone have any expert advice to offer,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Re: Machined parts for 750s

Postby tonybraz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 am

Hi Martin, I run my lathe and mill on a inverter and change plugs witch ever I need to use. Both machines run 2hp motors 2800rpm in Star configeration and speed control is by a small potentiometer. I would dump the motor and look for a dual voltage on flea-bay, I paid £20 delivered for a 1hp on my cnc mill.Wiring is easy let know if you need anymore info.

Tony
tonybraz

Postby Worzel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Martin Kemp wrote:IBefore I start I need a single phase to 3 phase converter - the Bantam has a 2 speed motor - does anyone have any expert advice to offer,

Martin

May I respectfully suggest that you just change the motor for single phase. They are so cheap now that a 3/1ph. converter is not really economic. You just need to bear in mind that the cheap modern single phase motors have poor/non existent starting torque so the machine you are driving needs to have a clutch which I seem to recall the Bantam does have.

I have found that new motors are even far cheaper than recon British motors. Screwfix are a good place to start and e bay of course.

Hope this helps
Worzel

Postby RobSmith » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 am

Use an inverter!
I have just gone through the using a single phase motor on my Colchester Student lathe.
The single phase motor is rough and noisy compared to the 3 phase motor.
Single phase drops through 0V every cycle so the motor runs noisier than three phase which is driven in a more continuous manner.
Startup is an issue so needed a capacitor start / capacitor run motor.
I also fitted a centrifugal clutch to soften the startup.
I am running this through a 20A 'C' type (delayed break) circuit breaker which provides enough oomph for the startup.
The modern motor I have also got on the lathe cannot cope with numerous starts. Whilst turning there are a lot of stop/starts for measuring and tool changing etc so my crap modern motor is getting rather cooked after about an hour of use.

I am soon going to revert back to the old Crompton 3 phase motor and spend a good dolop of cash on a good meaty inverter with reverse and soft start features.

Rob
RobSmith

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm

I am indeed using an inverter which I can also use for my newly aquired 1954 Herbert OV milling machine.
The variable speed control is very useful for all sorts of tasks such as grinding in valves.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Return to Suppliers for 750F parts