Interesting new cars

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Interesting new cars

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:47 pm

When we start racing again there could be some interesting new cars out.
Dave Hodkins new car came out at Oulton but had some problems that prevented it from running properly.
It has a wide track to give a large floor area , long diffuser tunnels and a low rear body to generate plenty of downforce. If I remember correctly the engine is canted over to lower the centre of gravity and, unusually, the engine is further forward than a British Standard Darvi to increase front end grip. The suspension has beam axles both ends located by Woblinks. I think it had leading links to the front and radius arms to the rear. This car is definitely of the "downforce works" school.
Jon Lee has posted pictures of a very interesting chassis on his facebook page. I assume it is a 750 formula car because it has a FIRE engine. It is also a wide track car but some interesting features. The engine is also mounted well forward and canted over but it has shaft driving a rear mounted gearbox behind the driver.
The chassis has triangular pontoon sections either side of the cockpit which should make for a very stiff chassis. I rear axle has long radius arms but I can't see how it is laterally located. Front suspension is rocking arm upper links operating on inclined coilovers. It should make for a long low stable car with scope for aerodynamic bodywork. It also has a very scary looking front splitter mounting.

Another interesting car is the new Shepard with transverse engine. The original Shepard is a very neatly designed car and a race winner so it will be interesting to see details of the tranny version.

Not a new car but we are substantially reworking the Merlin. It was designed as a car for the Historic series with the same track/wheelbase ratio as a Centaur. Now converted to Formula specification I have increased the track by 2" and located the rear axle with a Woblink to permit long diffuser tunnels running under the rear axle. Along with changes to the weight distribution and bodywork we will see it goes any faster.

Are there further details of these cars or any other new cars under way, that people would like to share

Martin
Martin Kemp

Re: Interesting new cars

Postby dopdog » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:21 am

interested to see your new revised merlin Martin. Sounds like a good move forward for the formula and will get you back to full grids
dopdog

Postby Martin Kemp » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:51 am

I should have added that the Merlin development is for our car only, as the work is too involved to make it a viable proposition as a kit without a complete redesign.
I also didn't mention the forthcoming transverse Darvi from Mick Harris. I don't have any preview details of that, but it should be good,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Martin Kemp » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm

John Donley has sent me some photos of Dave Hodkins car that show some more features that I forgot about. The 2 beam axles are suspended on short pull rods with large rockers acting on inclined coilovers angled towards the centre of the car. If a passing car rips one of your wheels off it is a good thing if the dampers are somewhere else, protected from damage.
I also see that the engine is in fact vertical and has the same cam cover that I had on my Darvi about 8 years ago - not the same engine surely.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Return to Builder's Garage