Finding the shape

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Re: Finding the shape

Postby GregSwan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:00 am

Very!
GregSwan

Postby pbove » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

It looks fabulous - although it’ll be a two man job to get it on or off and it’ll need another workshop to store it when it’s off. Also, I wouldn’t want to be the person who er ....... has an off with it!
pbove

Postby Pyro60 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Hang the body in the roof of the workshop !!
Pyro60

Postby Dave Robson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:55 am

One-piece ...........yellow............been there; done that!
Dave
SDAR 83 access.jpg
SDAR 83 access.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
Attachments
SDAR 83.JPG
SDAR 83.JPG (76.1 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
Dave Robson

Postby EmlynC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi Dave,

Yes it is yellow, but it is two pieces – I'm very impressed with the interlocking fit Custom Mouldings achieved, and delighted that you thought it was just a one piece body.

One thing that has surprised me is that it looks larger as the actual body panels than it did as the buck on the table.

Emlyn

DSCN7628.jpg
The back came out of its mould first
DSCN7628.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 9671 times

DSCN7634.jpg
The front panel is larger
DSCN7634.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 9671 times

DSCN7637.jpg
Fitting the two halves together for the first time
DSCN7637.jpg (94.6 KiB) Viewed 9671 times
EmlynC

Postby pbove » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 am

Wow! I didn't notice a join, fantastic panel fitting!! Makes much more sense than a single panel.
pbove

Postby F1300Tony » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:07 pm

It may look larger because of the light colour. How many layers of what 'density' fibreglass? Is there colour in the f/g resin?
Just the chassis and assembly to do, then!
F1300Tony

Postby EmlynC » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi Peter and Tony,

I would like to give a combined reply.

One of the products that Custom Moulding produce is very large, curved, cinema screens, which they export worldwide. One of the requirements of these screen is a perfect fit of the many panels that make up a single screen (up to 90m wide). So for them getting the panels to fit over the relatively short distances in a car body was what they do every day.

I had overlooked the requirement for locking lugs on the sidepods, but they were completely relaxed about adding them to the top surface and getting all three panels on each side to line up with the male/female elements locking together. Keith had explained to me the three stage process needed to make the interlocking return panels – I think I sort of understand, but I was very grateful that I did not need to explain it to them. The two shots below show part of the process to get the two top panels and the sidepods to all line up perfectly. The new yellow sidepods have now been moulded and hopefully everything with be trimmed and ready to come together at the end of next week.

IMG_1385.jpg
Part panels being used to line up all three elements
IMG_1385.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 9608 times

IMG_1384.jpg
Internally the panels all fit together
IMG_1384.jpg (115.51 KiB) Viewed 9608 times

Fortunately this is a hobby, and not a business, so the cost of the moulds has been written off, but, after all the work that has been required to get to this stage, I do hope that the finished car actually works, and other people will be interested in chassis and body kits.

The real answer to Tony is question is that I let Custom Moulding suggest the spec for the panels, and they have produced them to their excellent standard, rather than the requirements of a racing car. The panels have not been weighed yet, but they are too heavy – fine for now as they are used to get everything to fit, but a lighter solution will be required before actually racing (even with 20 kgs extra to play with). The actual materials used were two coats of yellow gelcoat, a layer of 300g chopped strand matt with yellow resin, a layer of glass cloth with yellow resin, then 12mm lightweight foam to strengthen the flat areas followed by another layer of 300g chopped strand matt with black resin. It would be a great specification for a road car, but is too much for a race car.

DSCN7630.jpg
Front panel just about to come out of the mould
DSCN7630.jpg (96.76 KiB) Viewed 9608 times

Overall there is still a massive amount of work required, but I'm very pleased to be seeing the end of the bodywork tunnel.

Caged Laser Engineering are doing really well on the chassis side, and I hope it will not be too long before they are laser cutting metal.

Emlyn
EmlynC

Postby suebmick » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:35 pm

6-piece. Darvi yellow. Done that...………….. Well 8 piece if you count the pods
And the 2 big bits still needed 2 of us to lift & carry
Attachments
118875314_pAgHXiVz_BirkettRelay2009618.jpg
118875314_pAgHXiVz_BirkettRelay2009618.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 9534 times
suebmick

Postby EmlynC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:48 am

The first set of yellow sidepods have been made, and all the panels trimmed and weighed. I'm not going to publish what the final weight is, but they are excellent rigid panels for sorting out the initial fit. I'm equally not saying anything about the increase in weight limit, but for cars that are low, just making body panels thicker could be an easy way of selecting where you want to add weight.

I'm not sure what I will do for the final panels, but one option I'm looking at is a natural fibre based material that is produced by Bcomp in Switzerland. It is available as dry sheet as well as prepreg, it is less expensive than carbon but is said to offer similar weight saving. It uses standard resin so also has the advantage of being able to use the existing polyester moulds. I certainly intend to carry out some experiments taking a test mould and trying different materials / numbers of layers, to test strength and weight. I don't mind making a second set of panels, but I want them to be the final version.

I have included the wing to see the overall look. I also added the ESC logo that has been designed by my former Creative Director – we took the ERA logo as the conceptual starting point. I always loved the large UOP logo on the wing of their Shadow Can-Am cars, so I had the logo printed 750mm wide for my wing.

I now need to concentrate on other parts of the project – I have booked a slot for the exhaust system to be made, so I must have the frame with an engine / gearbox unit in by May 20th.

Emlyn

ps At Race Retro I went to listen to Frank Dernie being interview, and one of the things he said was, "all sportscars fly". Later on I was able to have a very interesting talk to him, so I showed him a photo of the main panels and he immediately replied, "Oh yes that will fly (vertically), I hope you will have a large splitter and rear wing".

IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 9458 times

IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 9458 times

IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 9458 times
EmlynC

Previous

Return to Builder's Garage