New car build name TBC

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

New car build name TBC

Postby cartledge_uk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:37 pm

So... After the Marrow recommissioning was sort of a non starter over the last 5 years on the basis of life (2 house moves, new child, wedding, new job, house extension, loss of 2 garages) and having to defend some hillclimb class wins distracted me, and finally the fact that the chassis I had part rebuilt would not be competitive in the current regulations (rigidity compromised for weight). I've been having some serious thoughts about if circuit racing and f750 is where I want to be. Of course the answer is yes!!!

So. to apply a plan for the car build and delivery dates/consequences. They may appear long, but I've tried to keep them realistic with a 3 year plan to be ready for racing. I believe I have all the parts to build either a transverse or longitudinal car other than a bellhousing/adapter, seat, suspension and fuel tank.

+ Consolidate all current parts -
- Sort and rationalize
- Sell/scrap/donate anything not needed

+ Re Design the chassis -

+ Build the chassis structure

+ the full timeline for other parts/components will come once the chassis is built, as i'm not sure I will make the deadline!

The plan is to be out racing for a full season in 2019. hopefully in a self built car. but not a problem if not, but I will be out in 2019 unless something drastic happens.
Last edited by cartledge_uk on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cartledge_uk

Re: New car build name TBC

Postby cartledge_uk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:44 pm

First things first....

Transverse, or longitudinal.

It appears most cars built currently are transverse, but I have the Marrow base plans to work from. but they can be adapted for etiher
cartledge_uk

Postby pbove » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:11 pm

I think that the trend for new cars being transverse designs is largely to do with Martin making the Falcon a cost effective and attractive way in, which it is.

It does solve the gearbox issue that north/south cars have but it would be worth having a chat to Rod Hill who has designed and built both n/s and e/w designs. To be honest, I don't think that there is much in it either way.
pbove

Postby suebmick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Sounds like you're planning to miss an awful lot of deadlines!
Why not buy a Falcon now & come out to play next year.
Life's too short...............................

Sue
suebmick

Postby cartledge_uk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:41 pm

suebmick wrote:Sounds like you're planning to miss an awful lot of deadlines!
Why not buy a Falcon now & come out to play next year.
Life's too short...............................

Sue

Even if I won the lottery I would not be out next year.

I have other commitments next year, and in 2017.

Why am I planning on missing deadlines?
cartledge_uk

Postby Martin Kemp » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:56 pm

I think I should point out that I don't have Falcons on the shelf so there is likely to be a significant lead time before I can build one.

With the Merlin and the Falcon I have built both front and rear engined cars.

With the trannies it is easier to source the parts because you don't need engine adaptor plates, special propshafts, modified axles etc., however the design of the car is more difficult because the weight distribution needs to be considered and it is difficult to fit the chassis and suspension around such a wide power unit. However there is plenty of room for the driver - not that I'm saying ...

With the front-engined car the basic design is a bit simpler in that the weight distribution comes out nice and even and the rear suspension is pretty straightforward. On the other hand the chassis detail around the driver, engine and transmission is a bit more intricate.

In both cases chassis stiffness, weight distribution, and suspension geometry are the most important factors in making a car that is fun to drive. If you want to win races you also need good aero and a very good driver.

The really long job is the bodywork,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby cartledge_uk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for your post Martin.

I have no unrealistic expextations, i expect to be last overall in every race i do in 2019 ;)

Ive got the marrow to base from, and the plan is to work from that. Bodywork wise, 95% of the marrow was aluminium sheeting, so I'm going to start with a similar principal.

I realise you don't keep the falcons in stock, so was expecting lead times, and I have been following the falcons progress and 'poppy' was built with some of my old parts, and I think you have my old seat buck too :shocked: part of me thinks just build a falcon. But I have to give myself a chance to salvage more from this marrow.
cartledge_uk

Postby cartledge_uk » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 pm

I've been very quiet for the last 8 months and things were going to plan. How ever, let's just say due to a break in, I've given up my 2nd garage and an basically starting from scratch again only this time with 1 single garage. :bang:

I really don't know what I'm going to do at the moment. :flossy:
cartledge_uk

Return to Builder's Garage