Return of the Darvi mk6? (EVO?)

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Re: Return of the Darvi mk6? (EVO?)

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 am

The steering rack was unique being modified from a standard rack but I don't know what it originally came from. Modifying an early 2.2 Mini rack might be a good way to go.

The uprights were Dicks own fabricated design - similar but not identical to those on Peter Bove's car. The hubs were Vauxhall Viva. I wouldn't go for the original Girling braking system. Wilwood parts are much better and reduce the unsprung weight

The steering column was bespoke.
It was fitted with Dellorto DHLA carb.

I wouldn't worry too much about originally as the cars spec evolved over the years even running a straight cut Quaife Chevette gearbox at one time.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Dave Robson » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 am

Front Hub.JPG
Front Hub.JPG (98.01 KiB) Viewed 382 times
If you decide to use the Viva hubs....... and I don't know if you can get then still..........you might be able to get the machined stub axle from a Trailer supplier. I used Viva hubs and welded the stub axles into a thick walled box section (something like a 2" x2"). I got the stubs from Indespension Ltd but don't know if they still do that. The Viva hubs are useful sine they are the same PCD as the Morris Minos axles (4"). They have 7/16" studs so you will need to make some modifications there.
Good luck,
Dave
Dave Robson

Postby pbove » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 pm

The Grasstrack boys make stub axles that work and also ally hubs to fit..... and they're fairly cheap by racing standards.
pbove

Postby Martin Kemp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 pm

The FIAT/Racekits/Carbinium/Wilwod hubs and discs and calipers are another possible solution, although you would probably need to modify the Racekits part or make your own alternative. The details of these uprights are on the Standard Parts thread,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby agmanRH » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:57 pm

Brilliant thanks for all your help guys, I'll do some digging see what I can find :+:
agmanRH

Previous

Return to Builder's Garage