ESC 750 Mk2 – progress

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Re: ESC 750 Mk2 – progress

Postby Baggers » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:12 pm

This is looking very exciting now! Really nice job on the exhaust.
Baggers

Postby EmlynC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:06 am

It has been a while since I posted anything, but a number of people have been kind enough to ask me how the project is going. The simple answer is slowly, but, like Mick, I try and make sure that some work has been done every day. Ed Pither described the process of building a car from scratch as, "like eating an elephant – a bit at a time", and that is exactly what I'm doing. My first car took ten years, and I started this one after seeing Martin's car at the 2012 Autosport Show, so I still have time for it to be a faster build.

I had hoped to have completed the car before I'm 70, but that leaves less than four months, so, like a politician, I'm going to change the wording to, "I hope to have the car running before I feel 70".

Last week I added some graphics to the body, and then rested it over the chassis. While the photos give the impression of being almost finished, it is a bit smoke and mirrors as there is no suspension yet, and the front splitter is just MDF. I "painted out" the background running Procreate on my iPad, using the Apple pencil.

The guys at Raceparts let me have an electronic copy of their logo, and I had 10 off x 1m long logos produced. I was hoping that the red lettering would really stand out on the yellow background, but it has not really worked. I also need to reduce the length to fit just on the front bodywork, so if anyone would like a larger Raceparts logo to go on your wing, please let me know (foc to anyone who wants one). My next version will be about 850 mm long on a white background.

I hope people enjoy seeing progress – the windscreen area is totally new, as is the gear change "bubble". The headrest comes from a Fiat 500, which seemed appropriate, while the bullet camera is mounted on the level of the driver's eyeline.

Emlyn

IMG_4186 3.jpg
IMG_4186 3.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

IMG_0058 copy.jpg
IMG_0058 copy.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

IMG_4184.jpg
IMG_4184.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
EmlynC

Postby pbove » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:22 am

Hi Emlyn,

It certainly looks fabulous! I can't wait to see it on the track, so "pull yer finger out"! :) JUst out of interest, what are the "ESC" logos all about?
pbove

Postby F1300Tony » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:33 pm

I hope this car will be ready for the first race in 2021.
ESC= Emlyn's initials and the name of the car.
F1300Tony

Postby EmlynC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks Peter, and you are right, I need to get moving.

One issue has been waiting for the design work on the suspension.

Matt Crouch, designed the inlet manifold for his main third year project, and got a first, He then had to focus on his post-graduate work where he redesigned the uprights for the Brunel Formula Student car and saved over half a kilo on each corner, for this, with all the supporting calculations, he got another first. My old company had designed the Xtrac logo, so I had been telling them for sometime that here is a brilliant engineer who loves transmissions. While I'm sure it was much more Matt's work rather than anything I said, he was offer a job. His first major project has been to be responsible for the transmission casing for a major project, and he has been under huge pressure to hit very tight deadlines. The net result is that the design of the uprights for the 750 have had to wait, but this week Matt sent me the first drawings, and they look really exciting. It is going to make such a difference to have "a car" that moves around on its own wheels.

ESC is Emlyn Scott Coldicott, but could also be English Sports Car. The inspiration for the design is the ERA logo, which I gave to my former Creative Director as the starting point. The colours are simply taken from a traffic light – Stop, Get Ready, Go!

Emlyn
EmlynC

Postby pbove » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:15 pm

I love your enthusiasm - it’s exciting and contagious!!
pbove

Previous

Return to Builder's Garage