Standard Parts

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Standard Parts

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Panda wheel bearing.jpg
Panda Mk 1 Front Wheel Bearing
Panda wheel bearing.jpg (194.92 KiB) Viewed 303 times
This thread is for useful standard parts for car builders.
Some are production car units and some are parts that can be used from the Falcon parts bin for other peoples cars.
Some I hope will come from other builders.
As well as actual parts, advice on how adapt existing bits for use in a 750 car would also be useful here.

To start the ball rolling here is a useful little wheel bearing.
This is the Mk1 FIAT Panda 45 1980 -1994 Front Wheel Bearing and costs between £25 and £45 each.
It can be used for front uprights by mounting on a fabricated frame and, instead of the drive shaft, putting a big bolt and washers through the middle.
The hub fits Panda or Seicento discs or could be re-drilled for an alternative PCD.
On my car I have fitted wheel studs to the hubs because wheel bolts are a nuisance when changing wheels.

I have also fitted these units to the rear of my Falcon but I wish I hadn't, because the Mk1 Panda drive shafts are unique, expensive and the wrong length so they have to modified.
Instead for future Falcons I have designed an aluminium version that will accept Punto Mk 2 drive shafts which are the right length and robust enough to use secondhand.

My next episode will cover a fabricated front upright to suit the Panda wheel bearing,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Re: Standard Parts

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:30 pm

ALLY BEARING HOUSING.JPG
ALLY BEARING HOUSING.JPG (65.1 KiB) Viewed 156 times
The Panda hub in my previous post is OK for front hubs but needs modified drive shafts for the rear which is a real pain, so I have designed a new aluminium hub that can be used front or rear. It will be machined from solid by our sponsor Carbinium Engineering and utilises the more robust wheel bearings from the Seicento.
These bearings will allow the use of standard Mk2 Punto driveshafts which are stronger than the Panda ones and need no modification.
The hub and brake disc also come from the Seicento and the whole assembly can be bolted into a fabricated upright,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:42 pm

FRONT UPRIGHT ASSY.JPG
FRONT UPRIGHT ASSY.JPG (94.05 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Following on from the new alloy hub bearing housing here is a complete unit. This the new standard front upright for the Falcon and is made from laser cut sections welded together. The blue part is the new aluminium bearing housing
It can be used for other suspension geometries by substituting different length spigots top and bottom and modifying the steering arm length.
The picture shows it without the brake disc but shows a spacer on the hub to ensure the disc clears the attachment nuts.
The caliper lugs suit Wilwood Dynapro 2 pot calipers. I have also done a rear upright unit but this is only suitable for the Falcon de Dion axle. Rear upright design is likely to vary too much to make a universal upright possible,

Martin
Martin Kemp

Postby Martin Kemp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:11 pm

I am beginning to get good at this 9 finger typing.
Here is another new Falcon assembly that could be used by other builders. Another tricky bit - the pedal box.
The picture shows the wide version that will be used in the Falcon or in other tranverse cars where there is enough room in the footwell.
The wide brake pedal allows for left foot braking for those who can remember which foot is where, and for both foot braking when required.

For front-engined cars, where footwell space is limited, a narrow pad can be fitted to the brake pedal. You should be able see in the picture that there is an alternative clutch master cylinder mounting position to make a narrower unit. The spare bit of plate is sawn off.

The green crossbars are standard 3/4 box section and can be cut to a suitable length to suit whatever attachment method different cars need. Also the parts in different colours can be supplied individually so that a bespoke unit could be made up and welded in situ if necessary.
The bronze coloured master cylinders have 2 1/4" hole centres. The pedal pads are adjustable so they can lined up as you like and in practice are domed, but that is a lot easier with a big hammer than with a CAD system,

Martin
Attachments
PEDAL BOX ASSY.JPG
PEDAL BOX ASSY.JPG (121.05 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Martin Kemp

Postby Martin Kemp » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:22 pm

RK1048 T0W HOOP.JPG
RK1048 T0W HOOP.JPG (45.77 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Here is another part that might be useful to people building or modifying cars. It is a towing hoop that can be welded onto an existing bit of chassis. On the Falcon it pokes up through the bodywork and the angled ramp is to make the tow line ramp up under load to avoid scraping the paintwork. I also put a 25mm wide brace at the front as a precaution against it getting bent over sideways.

Martin
Martin Kemp

Return to Builder's Garage