Finding the shape

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Re: Finding the shape

Postby EmlynC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:09 am

Hi Tony, you are absolutely right – all my focus is on trying to build the first car.

What I am doing, if I need tooling to make a part for the first car, is making sure that it is to the right standard to produce additional components if required. This is a hobby, and not a business, so I don't need to work out how many cars need to be produced to recover the investment. As I plan to write off all my time and all tooling costs I know now that it will never be recovered.

I only have a double garage, and half of that is used for benches and racking, so it would be physically impossible to try and make the moulds myself at home. If you use a professional company they only know how to produce production standard moulds, so that is what I will have, even if only one car is ever built.

With the chassis, I simply don't have the skills required to make it myself. Originally I hoped that I could get Keith to produce the chassis, but his levels of energy are reducing and it was too much for him to take on. He is still in the background supporting and guiding, which is brilliant. I have selected Caged as I believe they are the best company for the work - have a close look at the quality of a BAC Mono which they do all the chassis work for. The advantage of cutting all the tubes with a laser, which can go around the tube and constantly adjust the angle of cut, is fantastic. I will mainly use round tubes, and, as an example, just before the front engine mount (using the 12mm plate) five tubes come together forming a key point of a perfect triangulated structure that significantly adds to the overall torsional stiffness. You might attempt a similar design cutting square tubes by hand, but would be virtually impossible using round tube. As all the cuts are so accurate the tubes virtually fall into position, so the tooling consists of simple position guides.

I know that Mark is using a 3D printer to test designs, and Matt is doing the same – last week he printed out (in two halves that clip together) the 12 mm engine plate. It is so powerful to be able to actually see what is going to be produced from the digital files. It is also possible to 3D print wax, so items that would be impossible with conventional sand casting become possible with lost wax casting.

I was really impressed by TTV Racing on a recent visit, so I will be asking them to do the majority of the machining work. For example, the engine position is set by where I wanted it to be, rather than by the length of the Fiat driveshafts, so TTV will produce driveshafts to my specific requirement.

I know that I'm working to a bonkers level, but I'm loving the journey and if all the ideas come together and actual work that will be a fantastic bonus. The idea of two or three of my cars being on the grid together is just a dream at this stage.

Andy Middlehurst is going to be the driver for Lotus 33/R11, so once the 750 is built I will invite him to test it, and hopefully give it its first race. If Mick is still building his new car by the time I'm finished, it would great to have him give the car a race. If the car has won a race, maybe I will have a go to try and get better than eight – my best result in the first car.

Emlyn
EmlynC

Postby F1300Tony » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 pm

You seem to have it all planned out as a project should be. Now just to make it all happen.
F1300Tony

Postby suebmick » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Sorry. Mick has no intention of racing anybody else's car. He's not a test driver
suebmick

Postby EmlynC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Well today the buck went to Custom Mouldings to have the moulds and first full set of body panels made. It seems very strange, I started building the table, and on it an MDF version of the monocoque, in June 2013. Then making the plugs for the sidepods just seemed take forever (October 2013 – November 2016), so 22 months for the main body plug does not feel so bad, as there were quite a few signicant changes made during the process. So strange, all that work, and, after the moulds are made, it just goes in the skip.

While there has been many hours of hard work, I have loved the process of creating what a friend of mine has called, "high speed sculpture".
Attachments
DSCN7395_3.jpg
Plug about to leave home
DSCN7395_3.jpg (100.94 KiB) Viewed 815 times
DSCN7398_3.jpg
Andy of Custom Mouldings starting to think where he will put the split ilnes
DSCN7398_3.jpg (117.7 KiB) Viewed 815 times
DSCN7399_3.jpg
The plug almost filled half my garage, and looks quite small in the factory
DSCN7399_3.jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 815 times
EmlynC

Postby EmlynC » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

A week after delivering the buck my Father died, so thoughts of the 750 where put on hold. Custom Moulds have been making progress, and the main moulds for the rear bodywork are starting to look good.

DSCN9434.jpg
DSCN9434.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 446 times

DSCN9458.jpg
DSCN9458.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 446 times

DSCN9460.jpg
DSCN9460.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 446 times

While sitting in the grandstand at Snetterton someone (sorry I did not catch the name) came and said, "are you Emlyn, I remember your first 750", he then went on to say he was enjoying my posts (so I have one fan). We talked about my plans, and he said he was thinking about building a 750, but would want it to be a space frame.

So, having had time away from the project, I went up to Caged on Monday, and we are going to develop a tubular version of the chassis first. It makes sense from their point of view – it is what they are expert at, and I think it will also be a much more acceptable route for anyone interested in having a kit. So hopefully early in the new year I will have a prototype frame to then fix all the brackets and mounting points, and I should also have the first set of bodywork. I know I'm taking a long time, but slowly things are starting to come together. The target is a running car towards the end of next year, and to be ready to race in 2020.

Emlyn
EmlynC

Postby F1300Tony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:41 am

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I think the space frame route for the prototype will be better because it will be quicker to make, easier to develop or repair.
F1300Tony

Previous

Return to Builder's Garage