Class of 2017-18

Building your own 750? let us know about your progress. Also in this section: suppliers who can build you a custom 750 - have a chat and see what they can do for you!

Class of 2017-18

Postby EmlynC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Last year, as a test, Brunel University allowed five undergraduates to work on my 750. The results were mixed, but two of the students did really well, and one of them (Josh Jacobs) has stayed on to do his post graduate year. Josh asked if he could continue to work on the project, but was told that he would need to find a team of Level 5 students who wanted to work together. He talked to other students that he knew were good, and we have ended up with six Level 5 (post graduate) and five Level 3 (under graduate) students – who all seem very good and certainly very keen.

The Level 5 students will work on specific areas of the overall car, but also have to present a combined group report at the end of the year. The Level 3 students will work on individual elements and their 90 page dissertations will be up to 20% of their overall degree.

DSCN8411.jpg
Team 750, with model of the car
DSCN8411.jpg (84.6 KiB) Viewed 149 times

L-R Francis Deterville (L5), Matt Crouch (L3), Nadir Grava (L5), Josh Jacobs (L5 and team leader), Shivang Odhavial (L5), Debo Oreagba (L3), Alan Rana (L3), Peter Arkle (L5), Lucy Shilling (L3), Manraj Kahlon (L5) and Hartland Fletcher (L3).

It gives the overall project a completely different, and exciting, dimension to be helping future engineers. I hope it will be challenging for them – it is certainly already challenging for me.

If enough progress can be made this term (they will be building a CAD version of the car using Catia), the target we have set is to try and have the car built by next summer, so that they can see the results of their work actually running.

Emlyn
EmlynC

Re: Class of 2017-18

Postby Martin Kemp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 am

Great stuff - and then they can challenge Fareham College in the 750 Formula College Series,
Martin Kemp

Return to Builder's Garage